Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have just done an oil and coolant change on my 09RR and on a ride out yesterday I found the bike suddenly lurchng and then picking up again.

Eventually found it was the engine going complete dead - no sputtering or any pre warning so doubt its fuel/fuel pump related and its not power as speed stays lit etc.

Without warning the RPM suddenly just drops to 0. Dont need to stop as the motion of the bike turns the engine over a split second later and it pretty much immediatly restarts (unless I pull a the clutch of course in which case needle drops to 0 and the ignition will restart the bike).

Seemed to happen towards the end of the day as was ok for the first 60/70 miles but then got more and more frequent. Also it seemed to happen after a period of spirited riding but then when I slowed down to coast it would carry on happening (more often when just sitting steady about 5-8Krpm) Anything obvious to check for? Temp was never above 78C when moving so dont think its temp related at least.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I had something very similar to this when my quickshifter ground wire had snapped, do you have one fitted?

other than that, try PM'ing Nico, he's my go-to possible electrical issue guru lol

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No QS but I do have a PCV (and Scorpio alarm and speedo healer :( )

Going to have fun if its electrical related, will start digging around these and check for anything obvious.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Had a very similar problem on my bike just a few weeks ago. Went through a bunch of connectors and found that the yellow ground box that's under the left plastic piece that's by your thigh had started to melt. My bike is an 05 so I don't know if yours might be in the same location (it's also wrapped in electrical tape). Cleaned that up and it helped matters a bit but then I went to check the charging system and how that's doing it's job and found a loose cable on the battery terminal. Tightened it and the issue went away altogether.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Maybe you piched a cable while re-installing your fairings... At least this is easy to check... I'm sure you know which parts of the bike you touched while doing maintainance, coz coolant + oil doesn't mess with any electrical components and by the way you describe the problem, it is electrical.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
MIL light throwing any code?

Did you lift the tank up when doing your latest maintenance? (possibly pinching a fuel tank line?)

Maybe?

try running a "zero map" on your pcv.

if prob persists disconnect pcv entirely.

run bike w/o pcv hooked up.

(I had a pcv replaced on warranty after it gave similar probs on my 09)

ask wibbly !

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still doing it, thought it was maybe the kick stand switch as noticed if I flicked that it was the same effect with engine cut out and only oil light but despite a good clean no joy and sitting banging it about in my hand doesn't recreate the fault. Going of connection issue as would expect it to be more frequent on bumps but it's any time and anywhere now.

I've not got my laptop anymore to hook into the PCV but was thinking to remove that as my next course of action. Wouldn't imagine much warranty after 4 years on the bike but would be happy just to know where problem is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts