Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone rec a type of spray paint for shooting race plastics? I finally got mine mounted and am thinking of using that enamel spray paint.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
okay, just to get one thing staight, so people aren't confused... It's race glass. The stuff is made from fiberglass or carbon fiber. Buying the special paint for plastic will do you no good.

Both of my sets of bodywork I've painted with Krylon. Although, I'll have to say that I wouldn't use their clear cloat. It doesn't seem to get glossy enough. I can never seem to get that "wet" look. I'd say use Krylon for the paint and some automotive quality clear coat.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers guys - thanks for the info. wuclan99, I'll pm you later about the work you did - very nice. I might need some pointers.

·
Registered
892 Posts
mule-madness said:
okay, just to get one thing staight, so people aren't confused... It's race glass.
i'll do you one better. it's race bodywork. and street bodywork. OEM bodywork. there is not even a trace amount of plastic in anything that leaves our shop except the tape. even carbon fiber shouldn't be called glass. it's not. it's carbon fiber. but you're not going to say i just got my race carbon fiber. you're going to say race "body ....... work" again, "body...... work, body....work, body...work, body..work, bodywork. good?

if you're shooting your race ____________(fillin the blank) with a rattle can, get the cheapest crap you can find. shoot it and forget it. wait till next season to get a good paint job.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
cbr600rrjeremy said:
if you're shooting your race ____________(fillin the blank) with a rattle can, get the cheapest crap you can find. shoot it and forget it. wait till next season to get a good paint job.
I agree. I used Rustoleum (its what the store had). Definitely not high gloss, even the stuff that was called high gloss. I didnt prep anything beyond wiping the manufacturing/shipping dust off.

you can see the difference in shine between the upper and the fender.

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
I gotta bring back an old thread. I'm preparing to paint my bike and was just talking to a guy at a hobby shop who told me not to use enamel paint on my fiberglass, because it doesnt flex and it will flake off.

Does anybody have experience with this? I got a couple rattle cans from an auto parts store and now I'm afraid to use them.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Disco said:
I gotta bring back an old thread. I'm preparing to paint my bike and was just talking to a guy at a hobby shop who told me not to use enamel paint on my fiberglass, because it doesnt flex and it will flake off.

Does anybody have experience with this? I got a couple rattle cans from an auto parts store and now I'm afraid to use them.
Disco, I've been using the 'epoxy' paint thats typically used for stoves and other appliances. I've been really happy with the finish and durability, the only catch is that its only available in black and white (that I can find) - pm THE MUFFIN MAN. Last time I saw him he was telling me about some 'plastic' specific paint that sticks to fiberglass bodywork really well but all the same check out the 'epoxy' paint - good stuff. Good luck bro!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I used Krylon Fusion Paint on my Sharkskinz. It's been on there for almost a year now and I used the Fusion painted Sharkskinz for a handful of trackdays. I haven't had any noticable cracking.

The black, white number plates, white wings, and the red are all Krylon Fusion spraycan paint.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Coyote said:
I used Krylon Fusion Paint on my Sharkskinz. It's been on there for almost a year now and I used the Fusion painted Sharkskinz for a handful of trackdays. I haven't had any noticable cracking.

The black, white number plates, white wings, and the red are all Krylon Fusion spraycan paint.

very nice Coyote!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts