Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

honda RC-51 or the Aprilia RSV Mille?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good friend of mine is getting a new bike (of course used). He currently has the '03 R1, and after riding my ducati, he wants to change his bike to a V-Twin. He has made up his mind to either an '03 RC51 or the '03 ApriliaRSV Mille, because that's the price he can afford. I personally would go for the Mille, because of the specs, but reliability, honda, hands down. Need your guys opinion. He will be purchasing it once he makes his choice.

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
Mille Mille Mille.....

·
19,904 Posts
The Mille is something special, yes the RC is nice, but theyre extinct.
The Mille is a special bike, more reliable than a Duc but handles better and i think makes more power.
I love the 999 to death, but after seeing the 04 + Mille Factory R i gotta say, when i do go with an italian twin the Mille will definately be in the hunt.

·
Registered
972 Posts
i would look into maintinance... im sure the aprilia would cost more to maintiain also there are only so many Aprilia dealers around...

something to think about..

·
19,904 Posts
wow, thats sick, but when you consider Ohlins and Brembo brakes, slipper clutch on the one i posted.
add that to the one you found, and your already costing more than the one i posted.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I'd get the Honda just for it's excellent reliability.
Altho I do love Italian machines.

·
19,904 Posts
this guy on here Wizard, he has one, talk to him.
Aprillias are not Ducatis, they require less mantenance, and are pretty damn reliable from what ive heard.

My local dealership sells both Ducatis and Aprillias. When a ducati tech tells you to get an Aprillia if you want an italian twin and then he'll never own a ducati again. I take that as law.

·
19,904 Posts
^ the man himself has spoken, Nuff said. Close thread.

·
Superbike racer
6,177 Posts
Actually with the baby on the way I need to sell the Aprilia....

2,600 miles
Sato Rear Sets
Ohlins Forks & Shock resprung by GMD for 200 lbs rider
520 Chain Conversion
(Renegade slipon & OEM Slipon)

I bought the bike in 2002 and rode it for the season. I did a few track days on the Mille but in 2003 I bought my 1st 600RR and started track only riding. Since that time I have rode the Mille on the street only a few times. Although I don't need to sell the bike it makes no sense letting it sit in my garage.

The R model came with Ohlins suspension, brembo master cylinder, OZ wheels, slipper Clutch and a bunch of trick stuff.

·
Superbike racer
6,177 Posts
CNI Dawg said:
I'd get the Honda just for it's excellent reliability.
Altho I do love Italian machines.
Obviously you know little about Aprilia. Aprilia is often compared to Honda for their reliability. The engine is solid, the quality of the Mille is exceptional. Very little maintence .... I have owned two Aprilia Milles and have never had any issues. They are very easy to work on (easier than the 600RR)......If I didn't have a baby on the way and $1,200 a month in daycare I would not sell my Mille....but if I wanna race next year I need to free up some cash.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ya, i did some research too. Unless you are thinking of getting the two strokes from Aprilia, they are very reliable I heard. Since they are using the 60 degree V-Twin, instead of the 90 degree like ducatis, I heard it's more easier to flick around in corners. Also, without the desmodromic valves you see on the ducati, aprilia sure is more reliable.

If I had money, I would love to get the previous model milles. I think those bike look SICK with the dual akrapovic pipes coming from both sides.

·
19,904 Posts
i dont like the older headlights, too UFO looking...

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
BigTuna said:
Obviously you know little about Aprilia. Aprilia is often compared to Honda for their reliability. The engine is solid, the quality of the Mille is exceptional. Very little maintence .... I have owned to Aprilia Milles and have never had any issues. They are very easy to work on (easier than the 600RR)......If I didn't have a baby on the way and $1,200 a month in daycare I would not sell my Mille....but if I wanna race next year I need to free up some cash.
Went & read some reviews & everyone seems to like them.
Good to hear the Italians can make a reliable product !

What would a bike like yours sell for?

It's got everything you could want for the track.....Ohlins suspension, Brembo brakes, slipper clutch

Hmmmmm.......Maybe you want to trade for a low miles 06 CBR600RR ?
:)

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
i vote for the Aprillia RSV Mille. that bike is beautiful. i know nothing
technically with either bikes nor ridden them. RC-51 is an sweet lookin
bike too. i have two friends who have them (RC51 - one 04, the other 05).
so basically my reason vote the RSV is because i see more 51's than Milles.

·
Superbike racer
6,177 Posts
hwang8 said:
A good friend of mine is getting a new bike (of course used). He currently has the '03 R1, and after riding my ducati, he wants to change his bike to a V-Twin. He has made up his mind to either an '03 RC51 or the '03 ApriliaRSV Mille, because that's the price he can afford. I personally would go for the Mille, because of the specs, but reliability, honda, hands down. Need your guys opinion. He will be purchasing it once he makes his choice.
Tell your buddy if he has cash and is interested in a low milage 2002 R I may be willing to meet him 1/2 way....IN is probably 12 to 13 hour drive to CT

·
19,904 Posts
u dont se Aprillias everyday... can u imagine how low the insurance for that suck might be.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts