Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just trying to remove my rear wheel, axle nut off, chain off, chain adjuster blocks not even touching the tensioner bolts, brake caliper off, and I can't get the damn axle through. I put a 2"X4" block of wood on the end of the axle and tried to hammer it through for about 15 min. before I gave up, also tried a little WD-40 on there. Anyone else had this problem, what was your solution? I think I need a bigger hammer.....

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Are holding up the wheel when your removing the axle?

If your not holding the wheel, Your pinching the axle against wheel.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LonelyRR said:
Are holding up the wheel when your removing the axle?

If your not holding the wheel, Your pinching the axle against wheel.
I shoved a block of wood underneath the rear tire thinking the same thing, I couldn't hold the wood and the hammer I was hitting the axle with at the same time as well as support the tire. Maybe I was jamming it too far the other way..?? I dunno, I had the wheel off before without a problem, I'm thinking the axle has some corrosion on there and it's seized up a little bit.

·
Registered
893 Posts
i say get a buddy and have them hold the wheel up and have them move it (wiggle around) a lil bit when sliding the axle through.. seems like i do it that way every time

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TippinRR said:
i say get a buddy and have them hold the wheel up and have them move it (wiggle around) a lil bit when sliding the axle through.. seems like i do it that way every time
Yeah, I'm gonna give that a shot tomorrow, along with a bigger hammer I'll borrow from work ; )

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,777 Posts
i think it's pretty rusted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Axle Stuck.

Hey mate i'm new to this but i had an 04rr and on the first tyre change the rear spindle was stuck as you say. Had to hammer it out! Just picked up an 06rr 1st march. took it straight home on the paddock stand spindle out. Dry as a bone. It's honda i think skimping on a dab of grease. the bastards.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
This is a good lesson for everyone, espescially those of us who ride in the rain. My advice to take get it out is bolt everything back together and take it for a good long ride. Then come back and try tearing it apart again. Once you get the axle out, lightly sand off the rust with some fine grit sandpaper and rub it down with some bearing grease. If you have to hammer it out make sure you leave the nut threaded on the axle so you don't damage the threads or the axle.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I just got back in from beating the piss out of my axle with a 3lb. dead-blow hammer, I got a friend to wiggle the rim as much as possible while hitting it and the axle didn't budge at all. I can't figure out WTF is up because my bike hardly ever gets wet, I rarely ride in the rain and when I wash it I ride it afterwards. I don't see how what little corrosion could possibly be on there could stand up to the WD-40 and the wrath of hammer blows I was giving it. I'm gonna try NewRedRiders idea next, does anyone else have any suggestions before I phuck this thing up?

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Lay the bike on it's side and spray the piss out of the axle with Liquid Wrench. Let it sit for 1 minute and then tap on the axle with the hammer. Do this a couple of times and then see if you can get it out. Maybe you can free it that way. Does the axle turn with the wheel? If so try holding the axle with a wrench and turn the wheel. Are you sure the axle isn't hitting anything on the other side like the rear stand? You are driving the axle out the left side right? I have to ask at this because the only time I had a axle sieze up this bad was on my old YZ80 when a friend landed in the shallow end of the pond. If it's siezed that bad you need to repack the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The wheel is turning independently from the axle and the wheel bearings feel great from what I can tell, no side/side - up down slop and the wheel turns freely. I'm using a spool stand that is clear of the axle, and hitting from the right side out to the left (clutch lever side). The axle either has to be seized or somehow scored onto the inner bearing races or the spacers, this one has me stumped. The next step is going to be a damn sawzall to the axle.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I tried some more today without any luck, I've done everything above as well as rigged up a puller with a long 1/2" threaded rod that I used an impact gun on and the damn thing just laughed at me. Has anyone ever had a bent axle or one seized up this bad to the point where it wouldn't come out? I honestly believe I am either going to have to cut the axle on each side of the rim, or take the whole swingarm off and bring it to a shop where it can be pressed out, I'm worried that the latter is going to **** up my swingarm.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Man that sucks. I've never heard anything like that. I can't think of anything that would hold the axle in like that other than rust. Has the axle moved left at all? If so, drive it back in and make sure the rear brake bracket isn't binding the axle.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The rear brake bracket will wiggle back & forth independent from the axle as much as the slop will allow while the wheel is still installed. The axle hasn't moved at ALL, I can't friggen believe how bad that thing is stuck. I have an '05 and the left side doesn't have a hex nut machined on the axle like the 03-04's do, it's got a square flange that sits inside the chain adjuster block, I can see the square flange move back & forth within the slop of the adjuster block too. The axle has to be rusted to the inner bearing races or somehow warped inside the wheel. I don't get how a bike with 5000 miles can be this bad when it has never been wrecked, or hit any major potholes etc. Hopefully I will be able to remove the swingarm with the wheel still in place, and I'm gonna go have that bitch pressed out. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Have you talked to your local dealer and asked them if they have ever seen anything like this? This is still under warranty isn't it?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NewRedRider said:
Have you talked to your local dealer and asked them if they have ever seen anything like this? This is still under warranty isn't it?
No, it's one month out of warranty as I didn't get the extended plan, I can garuntee the dealer wouldn't be able to do any more than I have up to this point either though. My Dad gave me an idea on Wednesday morning that I think will work, however with the family situtation right now the bike is on the back burner. It was one of the last conversations I had with him.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=48248

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well pops had a way of figuring things out, I made a custom punch out of stainless steel on the lathe at work today like he suggested. I made it to where it would fit snug on the inside diameter of the axle, with a head on one end the same size as the diameter of the axle nut. A couple whacks with a 5lb. sledgehammer and that bitch is finally out! Come to find out there was moisture stuck inside the wheel and the wheel bearings were rusted to the axle as I thought. After inspection of all components all I will need to replace are the wheel bearings, and polish up the axle on the lathe with a scotcbrite pad, and make sure that mother is greased to hell next time. The spacers, brake caliper bracket, and sprocket carrier bearing are all fine so I think I got lucky.

Thanks for trying to help NRR.

·
Administrator
51,152 Posts
i bet you dad was having a big smile on his face as he was watching
over you doing such a great job

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
moeman said:
i bet you dad was having a big smile on his face as he was watching
over you doing such a great job
Hehe, yeah he was a cool dude. We were in the same line of work but he had quite a few years experience on me, he'd always figure out a way to make things work.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts