Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so need some ideas here guys.....

I was reverting my bike blinkers back to stock because I need to run it through inspection. First my brake light worked correctly prior to swapping my blinkers..........So here is my problem.

When I hit my rear brake the light works correctly (hit/hold the rear brake the light goes on steady; release the rear brake the light goes out) When I hit/hold the front brake the light just flickers on and off for an instant. It doesnt matter how much pressure I squeeze the brake.......as soon as the contact is made for the front brake the light flickers and wont come back on till I release the brake and squeeze again. DMV wont pass my bike because the brake light doesnt work correctly (I tried to sneek my foot onto the rear brake that DMVdickhead was hawkeyeing me) I don't have the wiring schematic but just need some ideas on where to look. Just hoping someone has a quick idea. Thanks guys........

·
Registered
903 Posts
You have eliminated the possibility of it being the brake light itself, as it works correctly with the rear brake pedal. There is a small micro-switch on the front brake lever (under it) which could be the problem. Also, the wiring associated with that front lever. Check for any obvious loose connections or corroded connections at the brake lever switch. If you know how to use an ohm meter or multi-meter, you can take a resistance check through the contacts on the switch. They should read almost "0" ohms. Start there and see if you have any success.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
You probably need to replace the switch, sounds like the contacts have gone. To confirm its not the wiring just unplug the switch from the harness, there is a boot over each pin on the switch, just pull the boot and the plug will come right off. Then simply short out those to plugs with a paper clip or small piece of wire. If it works you know its the switch, if it doesn't then we have to keep looking.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You probably need to replace the switch, sounds like the contacts have gone. To confirm its not the wiring just unplug the switch from the harness, there is a boot over each pin on the switch, just pull the boot and the plug will come right off. Then simply short out those to plugs with a paper clip or small piece of wire. If it works you know its the switch, if it doesn't then we have to keep looking.
Your the man! I removed the switch and sprayed the switch with some contact cleaner and alcohol, cycled the switch a shiotload of times, reinstalled.....Booyah....works like a champ. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.