Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, here is a diagram that I will use as a reference for my questions:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/showschematic/m2055sch408854

Secondly, I have a used 03 600 RR. I don't think there are any mods that would pertain to this question. Now, on to my questions!

First question: As I understand it (and correct me if I'm wrong), when the break is pressed, number 5 pulls down on number 4, which causes an electrical signal that causes the break light to come on. However, on my bike I found that my number 5 is actually a screw as opposed to the spring that is shown in the diagram. The screw has a little metal loop that connects it to number 4 so it basically performs the same task. My first question is, do all 03's use this screw or should there be a spring there? And can either one be used?

Second question: Through an unfortunate series of events (I wont get into details) 5, along with 6 and everything connected to it, was very aggressively ripped away from 4. After this incident, the brake light was continuously on whether the front break was used or not. My second question is, is it possible that 4 could be pulled so hard as to damage that entire wire and cause an electrical problem within it that causes the break light to always be on? I am asking because I do not know exactly how the light mechanism works and am hoping I simply need to replace number 4.

Third question: I want to buy the entire wire that 4 is pointing to. Here is the original website that is selling it: http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2003-honda-motorcycle-cbr600rr/o/m2055

The part is labeled "SWITCH, RR. STOP". My third question is, are they selling that entire wire that 4 is pointing to, or are they just selling the tip of the wire that 4 is specifically pointing to? I ask this because $14 seems pretty cheap for that entire wire.

So, that's it for now. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer. I have done a little reading on here about some issues regarding the brake light system and I know you guys can help me!

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
It should have a spring. The reason it ripped apart is the brake light switch has less travel than the master cylinder. As you tried to brake hard, it shat itself...

I can't find the bit you are referring to, but you could get this, it's much neater... http://www.kandstech.com/index.php?page=brakeswitches#

·
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone
4,495 Posts
You don't need any of that crap. Just take off the whole rear switch assembly. How often do you use your rear brake without your front? Your front brake will trigger the brake light. Just disconnect the whole assembly by the plug on the right side of the frame.

·
Registered
175 Posts
ha ha.. darke has a point, but for your sake number 4 in the "Brake pedal - Change Pedal" diagram does come with the sub harness. I called my local Honda shop and they verified this. You do however need a spring to prevent the scenario that you have landed in.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a switch with the wire I can sell you, just took it off because I got a new pair of Woodcraft rearsets. Have pretty much everything on that picture.
Pm me if you want it.
Same bike, same year.

First off, here is a diagram that I will use as a reference for my questions:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/showschematic/m2055sch408854

Secondly, I have a used 03 600 RR. I don't think there are any mods that would pertain to this question. Now, on to my questions!

First question: As I understand it (and correct me if I'm wrong), when the break is pressed, number 5 pulls down on number 4, which causes an electrical signal that causes the break light to come on. However, on my bike I found that my number 5 is actually a screw as opposed to the spring that is shown in the diagram. The screw has a little metal loop that connects it to number 4 so it basically performs the same task. My first question is, do all 03's use this screw or should there be a spring there? And can either one be used?

Second question: Through an unfortunate series of events (I wont get into details) 5, along with 6 and everything connected to it, was very aggressively ripped away from 4. After this incident, the brake light was continuously on whether the front break was used or not. My second question is, is it possible that 4 could be pulled so hard as to damage that entire wire and cause an electrical problem within it that causes the break light to always be on? I am asking because I do not know exactly how the light mechanism works and am hoping I simply need to replace number 4.

Third question: I want to buy the entire wire that 4 is pointing to. Here is the original website that is selling it: http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2003-honda-motorcycle-cbr600rr/o/m2055

The part is labeled "SWITCH, RR. STOP". My third question is, are they selling that entire wire that 4 is pointing to, or are they just selling the tip of the wire that 4 is specifically pointing to? I ask this because $14 seems pretty cheap for that entire wire.

So, that's it for now. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer. I have done a little reading on here about some issues regarding the brake light system and I know you guys can help me!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You don't need any of that crap. Just take off the whole rear switch assembly. How often do you use your rear brake without your front? Your front brake will trigger the brake light. Just disconnect the whole assembly by the plug on the right side of the frame.
I thought about it and I think i'm going to go with Shift's idea. It isn't often that I use the rear brake without the front, so I'm just going to save myself the 20 or so bucks and disconnect the switch. Thank you all for the replies. It was all very helpful. And now I have all my questions answered if I ever do decide to replace it. Cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks. Found this thread after the bike failed it's test and wnated to know how the rear brake light worked. I was then able to work out that the switch was working, but just needed some adjustment. Have a CBR 600F but the mechanism is the same. Jsut have to sort out the headlight now (which is too high) and will be sorted.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts