Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
alright guys so one day i was trying to get my rear seat to open better by playing with how the locking system works and i closed it and it didnt open back up. So does anyone know a way to take the rear seat off without using the key? the cable is still hooked up at the key feels like it works, it just wont pop it open.. Can anyone help me out? thanks guys

·
Registered
282 Posts
wha wha????? i dont understand key for a rearset?
unless you mean rear SEAT, if that is what you mean. try pushing down on the seat over the locking mech. while you turn the key. see if itll pop up for you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha im sorry yes i did mean rear seat.. haha i was just looking at ordering rearsets for my bike so they are on my mind. and yeah i did try pushing down on the seat wiggling it everthing. its got to be on bolted some how.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
You said you were playing with how the locking system works... Whatever you did, maybe undo it?

edit: what year bike are you working on?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is a 04RR haha i would love to undo it but i cant get it back apart thats the problem. if the seat would come off i would fix it. and i know how to now becuase my cable wasnt all the way on.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
If the key still turns like normal, then the cable is too loose. Check where the cable goes through the tail fairing, there is a plastic fitting that needs to be in place. If it isn't there then...

Pull on the cable (pull out of tail)

Turn key fully to "unlock"

Pull up on seat.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha no it wasnt attacted befor and thats y it wasnt working good so i messed with the latch under the seat then once it got stuck i checked the cable and it wasnt right so i fixed that but still nothing. im telling you guys he latch setup needs to be unbolted or something the cable is fine. im just not sure how to get to those bolts... there much be a way.

D

·
0 Posts
You have to have the seat off to unbolt the latch. A lot of tape on the tail and a crowbar is your only option.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
How about calling a lock smith???

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
a lock smith? i dont think they know any more about a RR then i do.. and demented you saying if i pry the seat while turning the key it will pop it off without brakeing the latch?

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
A lock smith will know more about a lock than you... maybe,, unless you are a lock smith yourself,, you could just pry it off like suggested but you risk damaging the rear fairing wich is about $200,, and you risk damaging the seat which is about $150 i think,, a lock smith for $20-50 might be worth the try,, but it is your bike do what ever you want

D

·
0 Posts
If the key wont get the latch undone, a locksmith wont be able to do anything. About not breaking the latch though, I'm not sure about that. The latch system is pretty simple.

If turning the key does undoes the latch, pry it off with the key turned.

D

·
0 Posts
A lock smith will know more about a lock than you... maybe,, unless you are a lock smith yourself,, you could just pry it off like suggested but you risk damaging the rear fairing wich is about $200,, and you risk damaging the seat which is about $150 i think,, a lock smith for $20-50 might be worth the try,, but it is your bike do what ever you want
Stuff is cheaper then that. You can get a tail and seat for about $100 here, pretty much brand new.

·
Registered
81 Posts
a lock smith? i dont think they know any more about a RR then i do.. and demented you saying if i pry the seat while turning the key it will pop it off without brakeing the latch?
This is a pretty absurd statement to make. You have f*cked up your lock and you can't get it undone. Locksmith's unlock and fix locks...come to think about it, this statement may just explain all of your troubles...get it?

one more thing...break

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Stuff is cheaper then that. You can get a tail and seat for about $100 here, pretty much brand new.
I just baught a rear fairing for my bike and it cost $213 canadian brand new,,, so if you go by the exchange rate alone that is like $160 US

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
alright a lock smith deals with locks not latches on street bikes. if my lock where the key goes in was messed up i wouldnt think calling a lock smith was a bad idea but if i called one now he would come into my house and look at it and be like wtf? i have no idea. please guys dont talk to me like im stupid its not a lock smiths line of work.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts