Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to adjust my rear shock to put some more pre-load into it but I am not sure how to do it, can someone please advise me?
Cheers

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Im no suspension guru...... but... I believe to give yourself more pre-load in your rear shock, you must use a spanner wrench and tighten it up a few clicks. ie... compress the spring more.. anyone care to back me up on this?

·
Registered
150 Posts
There's a ramp style adjuster on the bottom of the shock (at least on the 07-09), you can try a special wrench they make just for the purpose of adjusting it or some type of solid rod and a hammer (they make specialty ones for this too). Either way it's really a pain, they really should have put hydraulic adjustment on it, it would be worth a little extra on the price tag in my opinion. Higher step on the ramp, more preload, lower is less

·
Registered
150 Posts
A spanner is a wrench though...? I thought the specific name for it would be like 'rear preload adjustment wrench' or 'worthless tool' in the case for this bike haha

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
You may have to file the point of the spanner wrench. When I used mine the point rounded off and wouldn't grap.

It really isn't that hard to do....put it up on the stand, remove the stock rearset, spray some lubricant on it...and make sure the spanner wrench has a good grab on it and turn...again, file down the point a little. If you want, I can take a pic of teh spanner wrench to show you where I filed if you are unsure what area I'm talking about.

The preload should be around 30mm for street...you should have 3 people to do this right and accurate.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the C spanner/wrench in the tool kit they provided with the bike but just not how to get the spanner in as it looks very tight.
Any help would be much appreciated and thanks for the advice so far

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had to take it out. No way I could turn it while on the bike. Had to compress the spring first to get some pressure of.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yeah... How do you all get enough torque on the ring with
the spanner wrench? Its seems too short, I'm just scared of getting
my knuckles skinned if the spanner slips.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Yeah... How do you all get enough torque on the ring with
the spanner wrench? Its seems too short, I'm just scared of getting
my knuckles skinned if the spanner slips.
Again, you have to remove the rearset, lubricate it really good..and you also need leverage...try using a pipe. Insert the spanner wrench into the pipe to give you extra leverage.....

I didn't have a problem once that area was lubricated..AND I FILED THE SPANNER WRENCH TO GRAB BETTER

1 - 14 of 14 Posts