Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 CBR 600RR

First I wanted to try to describe the part correctly.... the cap to the rear shock that is charged with nitrogen.... not sure the correct name for it.

The cap blew off and hit the car next to me at a light. Does anyone know why this could happen?
I have been riding it for a while now and there is definitly a difference in handling, but it seems ok as long as I take it slow around turns. I don't know enough about motorcycle dynamics to know if it is too dangerous to ride the way it is.
The Honda dealership had to call Honda directly to find the correct psi (which is 300psi) and they only had a machine that could check up to 200psi so they didn't bother even touching it. Any recommendations on where to go or what to do? I live in CT Thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
dude....i dont even know where you would get that filled. i work for les schwab and our compressor definiatly does not go that high. i would say its time to upgrade

·
Registered
223 Posts
I read a similar thread in here (or some honda forum) about the exact same thing happening to someone else. He had it checked and the pressure was normal. He said that he didn't notice any difference in the way his rode

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mine blew off and smoked me in the knee. I thought a car threw something at me until a week later when I saw it missing.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
my 1kRR has been missing it for a few years now. didn't notice any difference in handling tho. since they don't sell just the cap, u'd have to get a new shock. ebay it.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
So why exactly does this part fly off? Too much pressure, faulty build, fluke? Did it cause any damage to the car it hit?

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
idk, i didn't put too much thought into it, but that's jes my way of living. put a valve stem cover on it, and it's been fine. well actually i tried to steal the one off my brothers 1kRR first, then put the valve stem cover on when i couldn't pry his off. i never really noticed when it flew off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I was at the light I heard something hit the car next to me and I thought someone threw something at him or me. I even followed the guy and told him that I think he had a dent in the side of his car from someone throwing something at it. We both had no idea that my bike caused the damage

1 - 10 of 10 Posts