Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am 21 years old and never got pulled over in the past. I just got pulled over with my friend. The cop wrote me a ticket for Reckless Driving (5pts). He said he heard us going fast. My friend began speaking with the cop by saying, "Why are we being pulled over?". Cop responded, "I heard you guys going fast". My friend responded, "We're we speeding?" Cop replied, "If I have to catch up to you, you were going fast... sometimes less is better, ever heard that?"... We wait about 30 minutes. He approached us with two tickets. The cop said, "Courtesy to your friend, you are getting a ticket" or something along those lines. I got Reckless Driving (5pts). My friend got Reckless driving (5pts), not yielding to a stop sign (1-2pts) and having no valid insurance (1-2pts). My friend accidentally gave him an expired insurance card however he showed him the valid insurance via phone minutes later.

So what should I due now? I have a court date. I didn't do anything unlawful therefore I should get no penalty. It seems unlawful to ticket someone for hearing them go fast. Please keep in mind he was 5 cars behind us when he pulled us over. It seems that he only followed us after he heard our bikes getting louder when we were going further away from him.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Definitely take it to court. Do you know if he has video evidence of you being "reckless"? (Not saying you were but I wasn't there so idk exactly what went on). Also did he clock you on radar? I mean it basically sounds like you got the ticket because of what he hear which is bull. If he has no physical evidence of you being reckless it basically comes down to your work vs his word in court and in that case I'd fight the hell out of it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely take it to court. Do you know if he has video evidence of you being "reckless"? (Not saying you were but I wasn't there so idk exactly what went on). Also did he clock you on radar? I mean it basically sounds like you got the ticket because of what he hear which is bull. If he has no physical evidence of you being reckless it basically comes down to your work vs his word in court and in that case I'd fight the hell out of it.

He has no video evidence of me doing anything unlawful. Not even speeding lol. Literally all his evidence is, "I heard you going fast". No clock. My friend asked , "Did you clock us speeding?", replied, "Well no but I heard you going fast. Listen, if I had to catch up to you guys, you were speeding".

The only evidence he has against my friend is the stop sign and the insurance thing.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Then you should be in the clear when you take it to court. Bring it up to the judge that he has no video of you being reckless and no radar clock and he should throw it out. I mean look at damn near every Harley rider, their exhausts are louder then holy hell to where any little bit of acceleration sounds like they are being reckless when (sometimes) they aren't. Could always bring that up to the judge too.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then you should be in the clear when you take it to court. Bring it up to the judge that he has no video of you being reckless and no radar clock and he should throw it out. I mean look at damn near every Harley rider, their exhausts are louder then holy hell to where any little bit of acceleration sounds like they are being reckless when (sometimes) they aren't. Could always bring that up to the judge too.

There's not even a law for how loud your bike can be in NJ. THat's besides the point though. Being ticketed (reckless driving) for "hearing you guys go fast" makes no sense. I don't know whether I should laugh and relax or cry and worry.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'd laugh and relax lol but I guess it's easier to tell someone else that when it don't happen to me. I'm the type of person that's paranoid about police an what not but in this case since you have broken no law and he has no evidence you will have no problem beating this. You could always try to get some free legal advise too. That couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd laugh and relax lol but I guess it's easier to tell someone else that when it don't happen to me. I'm the type of person that's paranoid about police an what not but in this case since you have broken no law and he has no evidence you will have no problem beating this. You could always try to get some free legal advise too. That couldn't hurt.

I just feel extremely unlucky and hopefully it doesn't roll over in court. That's what I am seeking. Legal advice. I know this situation is straight forward and seems like an easy win however being 21 and having the possibly of 5pts on my license would mean... extremely high insurance therefore not being able to afford a motorcycle and having to sell it.

If I win, I am probably selling my hot bodies exhaust and buying a stock one.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If anyone has legal advice, I would appreciate the help. Will court be as simple as "no evidence of reckless driving therefore you are free to go"?

·
Registered
72 Posts
If anyone has legal advice, I would appreciate the help. Will court be as simple as "no evidence of reckless driving therefore you are free to go"?
Find yourself a ticket lawyer, usually pretty cheap and they can get the ticket thrown out usually. I paid like 115 to one for my speeding ticket and he got it dismissed.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
881 Posts
Well I can honestly say that's some BS! How the officer can say "I pulled you over because I heard you guys going fast". Depending on the size of the department he should have a body cam or at least it in the vehicle. I know that I when I run radar and catch some one I document there speed on my body cam to show what there speed was so if they try to fight it in court. But him saying he didn't get you on clock is crazy. I would fight it honestly. If there's no video of y'all driving crazy, or reckless and y'all were actually riding safe then go to court. But I'm in Texas so I don't know the laws in NJ just FYI lol.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Lawyer up..

Disappointed you didnt have a few choice words for him..

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Lawyer up..

Disappointed you didnt have a few choice words for him..
My friend just kept asking "why and what for?" in a concerned tone. I spoke to the officer in a more direct manner, "May I get off the bike?", "Yes Sir", "Understood". He made several remarks inferring that my friend was making the situation worse however I don't believe the situation would have ended any differently.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I can honestly say that's some BS! How the officer can say "I pulled you over because I heard you guys going fast". Depending on the size of the department he should have a body cam or at least it in the vehicle. I know that I when I run radar and catch some one I document there speed on my body cam to show what there speed was so if they try to fight it in court. But him saying he didn't get you on clock is crazy. I would fight it honestly. If there's no video of y'all driving crazy, or reckless and y'all were actually riding safe then go to court. But I'm in Texas so I don't know the laws in NJ just FYI lol.
Thanks for the information bradk. I am just completely dumbfounded. I feel as if I kicked a rock and now I am being penalized for hurting the rock's feelings.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Find yourself a ticket lawyer, usually pretty cheap and they can get the ticket thrown out usually. I paid like 115 to one for my speeding ticket and he got it dismissed.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Why should I be penalized financially if I didn't break any violations. I'll be seeking free legal advice tomorrow. I think all the free advice I will receive will simply be complicated in order to persuade me to purchase their services.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
My friend just kept asking "why and what for?" in a concerned tone. I spoke to the officer in a more direct manner, "May I get off the bike?", "Yes Sir", "Understood". He made several remarks inferring that my friend was making the situation worse however I don't believe the situation would have ended any differently.
I ment the cop. I would have verbally attacked him. Which prolly would have made it worse. Sometimes its the principal tho..

How much $$$ is the ticket for?

5pts out of 12 right?

·
Registered
153 Posts
It sounds like your friend was trying to be Billy bad a$$ and pissed off the cop. By no means am I saying what he did or you did is right, especially since I wasn't there. I do know how many ignorant teens cops have to deal with and getting an attitude with him probably made him write everything to full extent. I would go to court and act as mature as possible. The minute you act like a 21 year who got a reckless on a "crotch rocket" that ticket is going to hit your record.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It sounds like your friend was trying to be Billy bad a$$ and pissed off the cop. By no means am I saying what he did or you did is right, especially since I wasn't there. I do know how many ignorant teens cops have to deal with and getting an attitude with him probably made him write everything to full extent. I would go to court and act as mature as possible. The minute you act like a 21 year who got a reckless on a "crotch rocket" that ticket is going to hit your record.
I think you just read the first sentence of my original post.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ment the cop. I would have verbally attacked him. Which prolly would have made it worse. Sometimes its the principal tho..

How much $$$ is the ticket for?

5pts out of 12 right?
I know who you meant.

I am not familiar with tickets but based on what it says on the top of the ticket, it's a "Non-Payable Offense".

I am not sure if I understand your question correctly however yes. This is the first time I have ever been pulled over. So 5 out of 12pts.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts