Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Drama Queen Extraordinaire
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, before I get all the idiots comments, I know, I know.

I was in an unfamiliar area at night. I thought it was 2 lanes, but one was only a turn lane.

So I decided to pass the 2 cars in front and cut over.

I ended up passing 2 cars and a doing a double yellow violation.

Cop was in the opposite lane and witnessed the whole thing.

I pulled over immediately. The cop really didnt give me a chance to explain myself.

Lady cop: I assume since you pulled over immediately you know what you did wrong..
Me: Yeah..
Lady cop: License and registration.
She went to the car and came back and handed me a ticket.
Lady cop: This is a mandatory court apperance, blah blah
Me: For what?
Lady cop: Reckless driving for passing 2 cars on a double yellow. Have a good night.

NH laws state a reckless driving offense is $600 bucks and a 60 day loss of license.

Unless the laws have changed...

What should I do in court? Try to plea that I'm a good kid and have a nice internship and i drive to school and pay for insurance and everything myself.

Or try to fight it? or what? Should I get a lawyer?

·
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
265:79 Reckless Driving; Minimum Penalty. – Whoever upon any way drives a vehicle recklessly, or causes a vehicle to be driven recklessly, as defined in RSA 626:2, II(c), or so that the lives or safety of the public shall be endangered, or upon a bet, wager, or race, or who drives a vehicle for the purpose of making a record, and thereby violates any of the provisions of this title or any rules adopted by the director, shall be, notwithstanding the provisions of title LXII, guilty of a violation and fined not less than $500 for the first offense and $750 for the second offense nor more than $1,000 and his or her license shall be revoked for a period of 60 days for the first offense and from 60 days to one year for the second offense.

So I guess 500 bucks and 60 day loss of license

·
need a 1krr
1,088 Posts
Find out these provisions:

notwithstanding the provisions of title LXII

I also wouldn't get a lawyer. I would study this all up as much as I could on my own and do what you did for us, draw it on a board and use illustrations. Look good when you go in, arrive on time, be respectful, and show your intelligence. Act humble, but don't act dumb. That's what I'd do.... I think it's your best and cheapest shot.

D

·
0 Posts
I think you should definitely higher a traffic lawyer to plea your case for you. I really don't think there's much that you could argue yourself and have the court take you seriously, because well, there's a lot of stuff working against you for the type of violation.

You could even try getting it lowered at the pre trial hearing.

·
Registered
939 Posts
sounds like your gonna have to put it down to experience, take your punishment and keep your head down; unlucky.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Im in a different country, but given that its also through an intersection i'd say your stuffed and will be walking for a while sorry!

·
Registered
696 Posts
You admitted you were wrong and violated the traffic law. If i was in your shoes I would go to the District Attorney and talk to him in person before the court date and just ask him for help. You never know what he may do for you.

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Damn....I wouldn't be too pissed about having to pay the fine (it's just money), but getting PHUCKED out of your license for 2 month's......now that blows!!!!

How's a person supposed to LEGALY get to work with no license?

D

·
0 Posts
Damn....I wouldn't be too pissed about having to pay the fine (it's just money), but getting PHUCKED out of your license for 2 month's......now that blows!!!!

How's a person supposed to LEGALY get to work with no license?
Restricted work licenses that let you drive to and form work only.

·
Registered
753 Posts
A good lawyer is worth the expense on a reckless offense, especially with a mandatory suspension. A good one should be able to get it down to an illegal pass, or careless at worst. Your insurance is going to be very steep if you don't get it reduced. Good luck -Michael

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
From your little sketch there, you show that you nearly hit the cop head on... no?

·
need a 1krr
1,088 Posts
after a second review... didn't you say that you thought you were driving in an area where there was a left lane for passing? but then it turned out to be just a passing lane? were you just so committed to the pass already that you followed through with it after you noticed it was a turn lane? you said you told the cop you knew what you did wrong when she pulled you over, does that mean you knew you used the turn lane as a launch to your pass?

·
Registered
743 Posts
You were passing at an intersection which is always, and should always be, a double yellow line. Further more, upon noticing it was a double yellow you should have withdrew and fallen back. You will not win this in court.

Lastly, you should appreciate that you got off with only a ticket... what if a car were to turn out into that lane that you didn't see? Was reckless in my honest opinion. Not flaming, being real...

·
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IN the drawing, right when it goes from dotted to solid line (my green line), right before that was when I realized it was a turn only lane. At that point those 2 cars were right at my side. I figured my best option was accelerate pass them and continue in the proper lane.

·
Registered
712 Posts
well damn that sucks.

did you go in a straight line? or does your diagram represent your actual path?

cuz from the drawing, it looks like you were all over the place.

but of course try to fight it or at least to reduce the charges. reckless driving in california counts as 2 points to your record. so your insurance will go up for sure.

***edit

ok scratch the above comment in bold.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts