Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reading my owners manual for my 07 600RR and it says the recommended shift points are:

1st to 2nd: 12 mph
2nd to 3rd: 19mph
3rd to 4th: 25 mph
4th to 5th: 31 mph
5th to 6th: 37 mph

I've rode bikes my entire life and never shifted at 12mph. Tried to today and can't say I thought they were the best shift points. Not trying to start a thread on the recommended shift points, just thought it was odd that Honda would put the recommended shift points so low so I thought would share.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Just shift whenever the hell you feel like it, and dont worry about it. Staying out of red of course..

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
those arent recommended shift points, those are recommended MINIMUM shift points, i.e shifting below those will labour the engine.

ideal shift point:

when cruising for economy is 5.5k cause thats when the second set of injectors kick in so shifting below it will save fuel while keeping you within the speed limit.

when cruising for fun is 8k cause thats where the power starts so it will keep you ready to rock when you need it.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
those arent recommended shift points, those are recommended MINIMUM shift points, i.e shifting below those will labour the engine.

ideal shift point:

when cruising for economy is 5.5k cause thats when the second set of injectors kick in so shifting below it will save fuel while keeping you within the speed limit.

when cruising for fun is 8k cause thats where the power starts so it will keep you ready to rock when you need it.

Wise words! Stay around 5k. You need to be at 5k to charge your battery. I made the mistake of staying around 3k-4500 rpm's and I would be so confused when I would start my bike up and experience hesitation. Started revving up to 5k and keeping it at or above 5k and the bike fires up perfect.

·
Registered
183 Posts
On that note does any one do second gear start? If am rolling up to traffic lights I am virtually at a stand still but if the lights go green before I put my feet down I just clutch it and go off while in second.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
On that note does any one do second gear start? If am rolling up to traffic lights I am virtually at a stand still but if the lights go green before I put my feet down I just clutch it and go off while in second.

It happens, that for sure. Not a big fan of the load it puts on my clutch or motor. It takes a quick second to drop it down to first, and to be honest, I DGAF what is happening behind me. Cagers can wait a quick second while I get my gear's straight you feeeel me bro :cruising:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

If I can see a red light or a stop sign in front of me I'll slowly downshift until I get to first, but gradually down shifting apossed to shifting all the way down to first all at once is that slowly downshifting makes sure you are in proper gear so if you need to make an emergency move or the light changes you are in the proper gear for that speed an can move through the situation, I had a friend who got caught because he was coming to a stop light and shifted from 3rd to first and the light turned green and he never came to a stop only got to like 25 mph and popped the clutch and the tail end slid out because he locked up his rear tire from being in a low gear and not properly applying the right amount of throttle

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
If I can see a red light or a stop sign in front of me I'll slowly downshift until I get to first, but gradually down shifting apossed to shifting all the way down to first all at once is that slowly downshifting makes sure you are in proper gear so if you need to make an emergency move or the light changes you are in the proper gear for that speed an can move through the situation, I had a friend who got caught because he was coming to a stop light and shifted from 3rd to first and the light turned green and he never came to a stop only got to like 25 mph and popped the clutch and the tail end slid out because he locked up his rear tire from being in a low gear and not properly applying the right amount of throttle
sounds like he is a dangerous road rider.

·
Registered
152 Posts
As a new rider i shift at about 6k rpms. I noticed the bike likes to oscillate at about 6k, i can hear things vibrating the most at that rpm, and it gets annoying. So i try and match 5k rpms to what ever speed i'm cruising at.

I would agree with what someone said above, shifting at higher rpms is def. smoother. On the highway i shift at about 8-10k and it's like butter. On side roads i cant do that, i would be doing well over the speed limit, or i would have to skip gears.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Never miss a shift intentionally; when upshifting or downshifting. If you miss one go back and shift into the correct gear. Blipping the throttle whilst downshifting is a must, and a lot of fun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts