Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me which year my rectifier regulator is? It seems like a problematic '03 rectifier. But my bike is absolutely '05 and bought brand new last time. If it is '03 rectifier, it means that dealer has swapped it or Honda has installed an old type to some '05 RR.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've got an '05 that I can look at to see if they're the same. I bought my bike used, but it seems to be factory. I can't see much from your pic, but I'll post one up of mine.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Here's the rectifier on my '05. The build date of this bike is 12/04. I hope this helps you.

Attachments

K

·
0 Posts
it wasn't the regulators themselves that were the problem, iirc. it was the mounting. the 2005/2006 were shielded from the manifolds in such a way to reflect the heat.

·
Registered
244 Posts
it wasn't the regulators themselves that were the problem, iirc. it was the mounting. the 2005/2006 were shielded from the manifolds in such a way to reflect the heat.

I assume this is why they switched the unit from inside the alum bracket to the outside?

K

·
0 Posts
I assume this is why they switched the unit from inside the alum bracket to the outside?

a picture i found. doesn't seem right though because the mounting on my 2006 has the reg. facing the outside, not inside. but yeah, basically you're right.

i wonder if just flipping the R/R around to the outside of the bracket would work...

·
Registered
244 Posts
You're correct. My '05 is mounted on the outside of the bracket too. (the diagram looks above looks backwards) I think switching the R/R to the outside is a good idea. You would probably have to change to the newer bracket to make it work.

Thanks, I learned something here today.

K

·
0 Posts
The only thing i worry about with flipping the R/R over is the fairing. if you notice, the 2005-2006 bracket is bent inwards whereas the 2003-2004 bracket is flat. by flipping it over to the other side, you're bringing it closer to the plastics. These little bastards get hot too. Without a practical application (IE someone do this plz) we wont know for sure if flipping it will work safely. otherwise you'd be right that the new bent bracket is required for proper fitment. it looks like a bolt on replacement too,

Someone try this with their 2003 or early 2004 CBR600RR please. this could be a first must do modification for all effected bikes because i know for a FACT that this is a HUGE problem for low speed riders.

Cost of the bracket is $15.05 from Ron Ayers, P/N 31605-MEE-870

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
one thing for sure now..... honda still installed an old bracket & rectifier on my 05 RR. That's ********.
I should take a piece of heat shield material to cover up another side. I don't plan to flip it or get a new bracket....

K

·
0 Posts
You're absolutely 100% certain that you bought it as the original owner...

K

·
0 Posts
I am very sure I am the first owner.... And I believe this can happen in a manufacturer.
See if you can flip it to the other side. if you can't, order the one from Ron Ayers or find a junked 05 or 06 and get it uber cheap. i'm sure there's a few part outs around here and around the other cbr600rr sites.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
See if you can flip it to the other side. if you can't, order the one from Ron Ayers or find a junked 05 or 06 and get it uber cheap. i'm sure there's a few part outs around here and around the other cbr600rr sites.
When you posted your photo on the 05-06 Rectifier bracket, something come out in my mind if the change helps heat transfer from head pipe. With the change of the bent bracket (from a flat one for 03-04) plus reversal mount, it seems that inner side of fin was covered up by the bracket in order to resist thermal radiation from head pipe, cylinder etc but the heat convection from the air significantly reduces and the heat transfer to the bracket from head pipe may still have heat conduction directly to rectifier since it is mounted on it.

Another side of the fin is now so close to the fairing plastic (eventhough bracket is bent to increase the gap) and the only way to dissipate the heat is the heat convection by air which is potentially and probably blocked by fairing.

I don't know how much (by percentage) the heat transfer of rectifier is increased so as to lower working temperature for design of 03/04 and 05/06 when they are under same ambient effect and engine running condition.

Thank you if you can share your thought. :wave:

K

·
0 Posts
When you posted your photo on the 05-06 Rectifier bracket, something come out in my mind if the change helps heat transfer from head pipe. With the change of the bent bracket (from a flat one for 03-04) plus reversal mount, it seems that inner side of fin was covered up by the bracket in order to resist thermal radiation from head pipe, cylinder etc but the heat convection from the air significantly reduces and the heat transfer to the bracket from head pipe may still have heat conduction directly to rectifier since it is mounted on it.

Another side of the fin is now so close to the fairing plastic (eventhough bracket is bent to increase the gap) and the only way to dissipate the heat is the heat convection by air which is potentially and probably blocked by fairing.

I don't know how much (by percentage) the heat transfer of rectifier is increased so as to lower working temperature for design of 03/04 and 05/06 when they are under same ambient effect and engine running condition.

Thank you if you can share your thought. :wave:
In english...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Rectifier Regulator at my '05 RR: ( it does not look like a '05 version)

I made a heat shield in between head pipe and rectifier regulator:

When engine temperature reached 106 deg celsius and the radiator fan full blast, the temperature of fin at rectifier regulator is around 80 deg celsius. When engine temp reach 98 deg celsius, regulator temp is 65 deg celsius.
Any comment with my heat shield installation?

YTX7A-BS seems quite ok... no more hot starting issue.

K

·
0 Posts
i'd be interested at what happens to that shield at speed. if it works, then congratulations... but just starting it up in your garage isn't really very practical.

how are you monitoring temperature?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts