Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 07 CBR 600RR that has a Texas Title. I'm living in Huntington Beach. Reading from the forums and checking the Cali DMV, the bike needs to be 7500 miles before anyone could register a motor vehicle in california (49-state rule). I'm currently at 6425 miles, and i need roughly 1100 miles..My idea is to just ride around until I run it past 7500..Whats the possibility of getting pulled over and the consequences of it all? Even if you are careful and just abiding by the laws...any other suggestions? o how i wish to ride my bike w/o the worries of an unregistered title.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
I've ridden my 08 10,000 miles in the last year and been pulled over twice. Once on PCH for speeding but I was let go and the second time about 1 month ago by my house for broken tail light but they also let me go. I ride to work in Manhattan Beach and have never had a problem with the local PD.

But I'm not gonna tell you what to do it since I don't want that responsibility.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I recently bought an 07 CBR 600RR that has a Texas Title. I'm living in Huntington Beach. Reading from the forums and checking the Cali DMV, the bike needs to be 7500 miles before anyone could register a motor vehicle in california (49-state rule). I'm currently at 6425 miles, and i need roughly 1100 miles..My idea is to just ride around until I run it past 7500..Whats the possibility of getting pulled over and the consequences of it all? Even if you are careful and just abiding by the laws...any other suggestions? o how i wish to ride my bike w/o the worries of an unregistered title.
I'm confused with your post. Is the bike titled, or not? First you say it has a Texas title, then you say it has no title. Did you write a date on the pink slip when you bought the bike? If so, that won't help you, but if you didn't then you should be fine. My car is registered in Nevada because I have limo tint on my windows but I live in California a couple cities south of you. I had expired (Nevada) tags for about a year one time and never got pulled over once. I've had the tinted windows for 5 years, and never gotten pulled over for them with my Nevada plates (got pulled over 3 times before I changed my plates from CA to NV). Since you still have a TX plate on your bike, I think the chances of you getting pulled over are very slim, unless you're riding like a moron. I think the HB cops are probably too busy with all the neo nazi **** bags in your city than expired motorcycle tags. I think the consequences are **** if you actually do get pulled over. If the cop really is an *******, then you'll probably get some sort of "driving an unregistered vehicle" ticket. Google it, CA vehicle code is all over the internet. It's probably not worse than a fix it ticket.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i see, thanks for the reassurance. I think they would just pull you over for recklessness. just worried about the texas plate with an expired tag 09..lets hope for the best.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm confused with your post. Is the bike titled, or not? First you say it has a Texas title, then you say it has no title. Did you write a date on the pink slip when you bought the bike? If so, that won't help you, but if you didn't then you should be fine. My car is registered in Nevada because I have limo tint on my windows but I live in California a couple cities south of you. I had expired (Nevada) tags for about a year one time and never got pulled over once. I've had the tinted windows for 5 years, and never gotten pulled over for them with my Nevada plates (got pulled over 3 times before I changed my plates from CA to NV). Since you still have a TX plate on your bike, I think the chances of you getting pulled over are very slim, unless you're riding like a moron. I think the HB cops are probably too busy with all the neo nazi **** bags in your city than expired motorcycle tags. I think the consequences are **** if you actually do get pulled over. If the cop really is an *******, then you'll probably get some sort of "driving an unregistered vehicle" ticket. Google it, CA vehicle code is all over the internet. It's probably not worse than a fix it ticket.
Yea the pink slip does not have a date. the previous owner just signed his signature and left the date alone, leaving me to post it when i wanted to. from the sound of things, i dont think i should be stressing over it then.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
I think the HB cops are probably too busy with all the neo nazi **** bags in your city than expired motorcycle tags.
Haha so true. I hate Hermosa.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Oh it wasn't that expensive to reg my bike when i got it, but i don't know what extra charges their are for an out of state bike.
Oh and in HB, you gotta keep everything stock, and mind your pees and qs. Those cops are no joke, they actually broke out the ruler on a buddy of mine, but other then that you can say your just visiting from texas after moving their last month. You just bought the bike. I think as long as you have insurance on it your safe.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state.

Does this Apply to Someone Moving to California?

If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-State vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered.

*If you registered it as a resident of Texas then moved here with it, I think you would be able to register it in Cali. regardless of the 7500mi rule. However, you would end up paying California tax on the value of it as a "new bike". Thing that gets me is there are tons of low mile bikes that are a few years old...those bikes ain't new regardless of low miles...at least not new enough to support paying a "new vehicle" tax in my opinion.

Honestly, you only have 1100 miles to go. You should be able to fly under the radar long enough to get those eaten up. Sorry for our crappy rules here in Cali. I know it puts good people in the position to lie.

**EDIT: If the current tag is expired and you still ride it here you run a high risk of having it impounded. Cops here will nail you on that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Too bad i'm a resident here in california..thats the thing, the risk of losing my bike and getting it impounded, hoping the cops will let me slide for being insured and convincing them i'll be registering it.. i'll just stray away from PCH for awhile.

I live 3 blocks down from fountain valleys police station, so i might have to find an alternative route to ride it.

I have the pink slip in hand and signature from the owner. Do I have to provide proof of registration for the bike when it was in texas? not sure what you mean by that.

·
Registered
499 Posts
**EDIT: If the current tag is expired and you still ride it here you run a high risk of having it impounded. Cops here will nail you on that.
I don't know how you calculated "high risk" as it's completely up to the issuing officer whether to impound, issue a ticket, or just give a warning.
I still contend that since it is out of state and jurisdiction bureaucracy is a touchy issue, you are less likely to get nailed for this. Just ride responsibly. But if you're wheelieing up and down PCH all day long, you'll get what's coming to you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so its finally that time to register my bike! I will be taking it to the DMV. I know that you would need the bike there for the inspection portion of it.

Will it pass with an aftermarket exhaust? What else do they look for? I'm going to ride my bike there, and hoping they dont mind much that I rode it there, when its not even registered. (or could say my friend dropped it off for me)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Make sure you know the location for the engine number and the emission sticker. The sticker should be on the battery tray under the rear seat and the engine number is stamped on top of the transmission case. I had an aftermarket exhaust and flush blinkers that wouldn't pass code, but they didn't seem to care when i registered.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats good to know, b/c i also have some flush. dont want them to give me a hassle b/c of the after market add ons.

Make sure you know the location for the engine number and the emission sticker. The sticker should be on the battery tray under the rear seat and the engine number is stamped on top of the transmission case. I had an aftermarket exhaust and flush blinkers that wouldn't pass code, but they didn't seem to care when i registered.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You can also swap tach meter to register as well. Let me know how it goes...I've been eyeing other bikes on Ebay but didn't want to get into the hassle of registering it.

Another thing to considered, off-topic, is the fairing. 49-states bike has a different fairing setup than 50-states bike. This happened with 03-06 model bike. I'm not sure if it's still the case.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
so its finally that time to register my bike! I will be taking it to the DMV. I know that you would need the bike there for the inspection portion of it.

Will it pass with an aftermarket exhaust? What else do they look for? I'm going to ride my bike there, and hoping they dont mind much that I rode it there, when its not even registered. (or could say my friend dropped it off for me)

It took you 6 months to get 1,100 miles? Should have given it to me, I'll get you 1,100 in less than a month.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Oh it wasn't that expensive to reg my bike when i got it, but i don't know what extra charges their are for an out of state bike.
Oh and in HB, you gotta keep everything stock, and mind your pees and qs. Those cops are no joke, they actually broke out the ruler on a buddy of mine, but other then that you can say your just visiting from texas after moving their last month. You just bought the bike. I think as long as you have insurance on it your safe.
:+1:
HBPD sucks ass.
Be careful racking those miles up. If they can find a reason to ticket you they will. You may even get some for no reason.
EDIT: Didn't realize this was an old thread. Hopefully your last 6 mo's was uneventful.
Sucks you have to have the bike present for inspection during registration. I've never heard of that before. Usually inspection is separate from registration...strange.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The times i've ridden it, always had to keep an eye out for cops patrolling the area. Had to take a different route when a cop was about to pull up behind me. Now, i wont have to worry about that as much.

--
yea, shouldve taken me less than 6 months to rack those miles up, but i've been on vacation and work/school.

i'll be registering it this week if its not too crowded, keep you posted on how it goes.
It took you 6 months to get 1,100 miles? Should have given it to me, I'll get you 1,100 in less than a month.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Yes please keep me posted. I'd like to know as well. California bike is overpriced and doesn't have too many selections.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
just got back from registration, took roughly 1 hr and half to complete all the processing. Went w/o a problem. Only downfall was the sales tax you have to pay for out of state.

Yes please keep me posted. I'd like to know as well. California bike is overpriced and doesn't have too many selections.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts