Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in August, I wrecked my bike when I was going around a turn. The engine case hit a curb and cracked. Since then I've been in the process of repairing the bike and it's back to ride-able condition -- still have a few minor things to do but that's beside the point. I bought a used engine off eBay, works great. But the registration for the bike still has the old engine number on it. Is this .. significant? Do I need to re-register it with the engine number I put in it? I'm in California. The guy I bought the engine off sent a copy of the title with the engine when I bought it -- it came off a totaled bike from Oregon though the engine number isn't listed on the title at all. I don't think every state does that, just the actual VIN in some cases.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm also in CA and have done something similar. The only difference is that I had no paperwork for the engine I got off of CL. I sold it as-is and never heard from the buyer. But since you have the paperwork, I'd keep it with the title, if you ever need to prove the engine is not stolen. I'm pretty sure the process to get the engine # updated will,at least, require an inspection at the DMV.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does the inspection consist of? Just making sure the numbers match? Should I put the stock exhaust back on? Lol

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
I had to register mine in FL, if it's anything like mine was they come out and look at the vin to see if it's the same and you are on your way. If you want to make it faster put it in a truck and hop in the back and read off the numbers because you know they aren't going to get in the back of your truck to do that!!!

They aren't the police, they shouldn't be able to determine if your bike is CA compliant BUT your engine isn't CA compliant unless you transferred over your CA BS that is added to it so that might be something they look at.

·
Registered
966 Posts
The engine number only matters when you are looking for stolen stuff. Its not used legally.

·
Registered
28 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts