Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Religious denomination

  • Catholic

    Votes: 31 27.9%
  • Baptist

    Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Methodist/Wesleyan

    Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Lutheran

    Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Presbyterian

    Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Episcopalian

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Judaism

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Mormon

    Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Other...

    Votes: 37 33.3%
  • Non denomenational christianity

    Votes: 20 18.0%

  • Total voters
    111
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not usually very good at practicing my religion myself but this time of year (lent) had me thinking about it. Just curious how we broke down as a group.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
um, you are kind of missing a few of the big ones - christianity, hindu, islamic. those are a few that jumped to my head.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,434 Posts
I can't say that I belong to any one denomination so I chose "Other". Much like politics I don't side with any party. I just have my beliefs as a christian.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
st lewis said:
um, you are kind of missing a few of the big ones - christianity, hindu, islamic. those are a few that jumped to my head.
I know, but the software only allows so many options. Plus, most of those are denominations of christianity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,731 Posts
catholic for me!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
madbrown75 said:
there is no option for athiest.
I know, nor is there an option for many many other religions that are out there. I was mainly curious of the breakdown of christian denominations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,565 Posts
Catholic...
havent been too religious for a few yrs now
as far as goin to church and what not.
i jus pray to myself everyday!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
wow... I don't know about this thread. I want to say something, but I'm afraid a big argument will come from it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK folks. I didn't start this thread to get anyone up in arms or offended. We each have our own beliefs and need to respect those of others. I'd like to leave this thread open but if everyone can't take a more understanding approach to what others feel on this sensitive subject I'll just delete the entire thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
IMO religious subjects need to be left to a religion forum. They never survive well in any other enviornment. I was in now way offended by any remarks on here, I was just simply making a point. I'll be more than happy to engage in any religious discussion with anyone who has an open mind. Usually there is going to be someone who feels they are right and everyone else is going to hell, which typically results in the discussion being closed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wolfpac52 said:
IMO religious subjects need to be left to a religion forum. They never survive well in any other enviornment. I was in now way offended by any remarks on here, I was just simply making a point. I'll be more than happy to engage in any religious discussion with anyone who has an open mind. Usually there is going to be someone who feels they are right and everyone else is going to hell, which typically results in the discussion being closed.
As I said before, I was mainly looking to see what the poll results would be and not specific discussions. I'm monitoring the thread pretty closely though and if it degrades to anything like you mentioned, it'll be gone. I'd like to think though that people could be mature enough to discuss their own religion without feeling the need to put down others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
I really only have one question, and I am not trying to be an asshat when I ask this so please do not take it that way.

What is the point of this thread? Does it matter if 18.5% of the board is Catholic? What bearing does this have in the motorcycle world? To me the poll is no different than if you started a poll asking what everyones sexual orientation is, it bears no relevance on two wheels and like religion, it will changes a persons opion on how they see someone.

Again, I'm not trying to be a prick, just curious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
I actually am an athiest... but I do realize that it's only 'logical' to believe in a God. I just can't force myself to believe it though. Here's some reasoning.

If you're an athiest:
You die and there isn't a God- nothing happens
You die and there is a God- you go to hell

If you believe in the 'right' religion:
You die and there isn't a God-nothing happens
You die and there is a God- you go to heaven

It's only logical to believe... but there again I just can't force myself to believe in something. I wrote "'right' religion" because there's just too many differences between religion. Things tend to change over the years. ie. there is now no purgatory in the Chatholic belief.

ps. I was VERY religious at a younger age (Lutheran). I just started reading material on other religions and I just kind of turned. I don't want to change anyone or anything nor do I want to be hassled to change back to being religious. I tend to get very arguementative when people try to change me back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
mikehal said:
I actually am an athiest... but I do realize that it's only 'logical' to believe in a God. I just can't force myself to believe it though. Here's some reasoning.

If you're an athiest:
You die and there isn't a God- nothing happens
You die and there is a God- you go to hell

If you believe in the 'right' religion:
You die and there isn't a God-nothing happens
You die and there is a God- you go to heaven
This is one of the biggest problems I have. If a person is going to believe in a God for no other reason than the fear of hell, they are believing for the wrong reasons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wolfpac52 said:
I really only have one question, and I am not trying to be an asshat when I ask this so please do not take it that way.

What is the point of this thread? Does it matter if 18.5% of the board is Catholic? What bearing does this have in the motorcycle world? To me the poll is no different than if you started a poll asking what everyones sexual orientation is, it bears no relevance on two wheels and like religion, it will changes a persons opion on how they see someone.

Again, I'm not trying to be a prick, just curious.
You're absolutely right, it has no bearing whatsoever or relevance to motorcycles, which is what the off topic area is for. It's also an anonymous poll and by no means did I ask and certainly didn't require anyone on the board to post and identify themselves or their vote.

I'm not trying to be an asshat back to you either, but do we really lack the capacity to overlook threads that don't interest or might possibly offend us? I know this is a motorcycle specific forum, and 75% of what is on here is bike related, but after being here for a few years there's not a whole lot more some of us learn about the 600RR at this point, so sometimes it's interesting to bring up other topics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wolfpac52 said:
This is one of the biggest problems I have. If a person is going to believe in a God for no other reason than the fear of hell, they are believing for the wrong reasons.
I agree with you on from my perspective. But the thing is, if that's why someone else wants to believe, that's their concern, and not mine. Even though I don't regularly practice by going to church, I wholeheartedly identify myself a catholic and firmly believe in God. However, there are many aspects of catholicism I don't agree with, but I figure no matter what denomination I identified with I'd have a few things I couldn't go along with. I guess like my polictial affliation, I think everyone should be allowed to believe and do whatever they want, as long as it doesn't interfer or harm me or my family in any way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
GA_RR said:
You're absolutely right, it has no bearing whatsoever or relevance to motorcycles, which is what the off topic area is for. It's also an anonymous poll and by no means did I ask and certainly didn't require anyone on the board to post and identify themselves or their vote.

I'm not trying to be an asshat back to you either, but do we really lack the capacity to overlook threads that don't interest or might possibly offend us?
I'm not offended at all, but my beliefs and my views that I have will more than likely offend someone (which is interesting because most conversations I get involved with require me to respect thier belief with thier refusal to respect mine). A majority of people cannot get into a religous discussion with someone without either getting thier feelings hurt and cry foul, or keep an open mind and respect what everyone else believes. If someone said they believe in the Gods of earth wind fire earth and rain, I will repect the fact that they can put faith into something I cannot. Where the problem comes is is when a holier than thou individual condems everyone to hell because no one believes what they do.

The easiest example I can give is if I told you I am an athiest. 90% of peoples first thought is "You're going to hell". They either say it or they think it. When I am told this my first reponse is always "proove it".

Like I said, I am very opened minded in this type of discussion and I have no problem conveying my beliefs with anyone. I do not insult, degrade or put down anyone for thier beliefs. And you are correct, it is a shame the topic cannot be discussed in a civilized manner.
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top