Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my curse continues...i have run into another problem.:banghead:

While putting my grips on i decided to use the hairspray method, clutch side was super easy. Throttle side is another problem because i couldn't get the grip all the way on before the hairspray dried. I tired to go about taking it off and redoing it but i cant get my flat head under the large collar.

How can i take it off without damaging anything?

With these grips my bar ends don't match...what kind of bar ends do you guys recommend?

·
i love juggggggggzzz
7,498 Posts
the problem is they wont go on? are they anodized aluminum or what type of material? If it were me i would just take a rubber mallet and just see if you can tap it on a little farther if it hasn't been too long and see if it sticks.

·
Registered
901 Posts
You should be able to just twist and pull and get it off man.
I have the real Driven D3 Grips and if I wanted to I could def
get them off. I would take it off and do it the right way.

You also may want to file down the little lip on the throttle sleeve
or your grip is going to sit 1/2 away from the end of the clip-on...
It looks alot cleaner and finished if the grip slides allll the way on over
that 1/2 lip... IMO

Driven D3 Install : http://www.youtube.com/user/303Cycle#p/u/4/AhIc0sguQOo

This is an "How to" on Driven D3 Drips done by www.303cycle.com one of our vendors here. this will prob help you...

Also what do you mean your bar ends don't match? Picture?!?! My OEM Bar ends line up perfectly with the Driven D3's...

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
If you don't have access to compressed air from a air compressor you can always use a can of air from a keyboard duster. Just stick the tube as far as you can in between the grip and throttle and pull the trigger. This will get you to be able to slide it off.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem is i need to take them off and redo them. My hands are blistered from trying to twist it off. Under the grip is loose, thats where i can shove my screwdriver. But under the metal collar its still super snug and i cant fit anything under there to loosen it.

And you're saying I should sand down the lip on the throttle tube and push the grip all the way to the throttle housing?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well the grip tore while i was trying to remove it and try again.

I'll have to put my stock grip back on, but i ran into another problem lol
The throttle is sticking...

video showing throttle sticking

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
IMO you should grind down that lip on the throttle tube. Grinding it flush will make installing all grips easier ( I see that you didn't even make it that far though)

As for installing the grips try soap and water. They will go on like butter and not dry quickly, but when they do dry they will stick like glue

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMO you should grind down that lip on the throttle tube. Grinding it flush will make installing all grips easier ( I see that you didn't even make it that far though)

As for installing the grips try soap and water. They will go on like butter and not dry quickly, but when they do dry they will stick like glue
Thanks ill use that method next time for sure. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Well after the fact but you can use wd40 or lubricate to get them off.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Pull your throttle apart and make sure that nothing is bent / has come off and give it all a lube, twisting it as hard as you did may have damaged something.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pull your throttle apart and make sure that nothing is bent / has come off and give it all a lube, twisting it as hard as you did may have damaged something.

Are you talking about the throttle housing? Yep i think ill give that once over in the morning.

SOB

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
^^ yea pretty sure you damaged something while fussing with your grip there.
that really sucks.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Are you talking about the throttle housing? Yep i think ill give that once over in the morning.

SOB
Yeah mate

ten char

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I opened up the throttle housing to see what i was dealing with and found this

I tried spraying wd40 to see if it worked and it did for a little while but then it started sticking again. As you can see it's quite dirty, could that have anything to do with it?

Like I said when i was taking the grip off i was using a lot of force, from what i can see nothing looks broken, could i have stretched the cables or something?

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just did Driven grips and it was a b(*&h.

If you cleaned and lubed up top and it is still sticking then I would think the problem is at the other end of the cable.

That's the thing, how can i clean it well without taking the whole thing apart?
I think that its just a bunch of dirt and stuff...well im hoping...mostly because i don't want to spring some dough for the mechanic.

From what i can tell the wd40 is working..as well as it can without a bunch of gunk... the wd40 is going in and i can see it coming out with a bunch of dirt.

Bottom line, how can i clean it real well? Do you think my problem is the dirt? I can't stop thinking about how hard i was turning to get that grip off..

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Izzo - Not a flame, just a FYI, to avoid taking "blurry" shots, such as your latest photo (post# 14) above, try using the "macro" (close up, etc) mode to get your digital camera in proper focus... :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Izzo - Not a flame, just a FYI, to avoid taking "blurry" shots, such as your latest photo (post# 14) above, try using the "macro" (close up, etc) mode to get your digital camera in proper focus... :)
sorry, i'm using crappy cell phone, i need to buy another micro sd card so i can use my old phone (much better quality pictures)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts