Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use 600rr for lots of useful informaton..thanks guys,

So yesterday i was curious about changing my CCT to the APE manual tension. I took the OEM one out to look at it then i put it back in, not knowing it had to retract it or dbl chck the timing! (didnt run into a thread that said to do that) so it was bascially VERY tight on the chain. So first the bike didnt start, then it did after the 3rd try. Took off, and realized something didnt feel right, then immediately after that i lost power and the last thing i head was something like a chain breaking. So today i opened up the case and heres what i found:

1. Timing appears to be all off

2. Guide over chain was ate up. Chain doesnt appear broken

3. Tiny pieces of what feels like metal

4. Tensioner seems to 'pop' out sometimes. That part of it you see down the hole cames out toward the opening(best i could get sry), but i push it back and sometimes it sets back, or doesnt move.

I tried to manually turn timing, but it locked on me :(

So fire away at me, what could i be dealing with?

·
Registered
223 Posts
CBRs are interference heads. In other words, you probably bent all your valves and potentially ruined your engine.

You might be lucky and have not ruined the head, but you should plan on a full teardown.

·
Registered
455 Posts
yea it being out of time and that metal in there I would have to go with ^^^^^ it prob bent every valve in there so its toast

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
agreed with the above statement.

It time to tear the engine down!

What made you take off the CCT tensioner? without proper info about the CCT.

The site is useful for finding info but You need to verify the info you read.
Buy yourself the Repair Manual.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,790 Posts
dude you just did a major bonehead move removing the CCT without setting the crank timing marks to TDC, take these guys advice & tear down the engine, you'll probably be looking at bent valves here.

·
Registered
223 Posts
At the very least, you're going to need to pull the head and flush the bottom end to remove all of the shavings. I'd take the head to a machine shop and see how bad it is, and maybe just buy a replacement head off of eBay. You're also going to need new chain guides and probably just go with an APE. You screwed up, lesson learned, now consult the mad scientists on here to help you get fixed up.

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
damn, that suckssssssssss!:drunk:

agreed with what the others have said. time to tear her down and inspect.:banghead:

D

·
0 Posts
Normally I'm all for complete engine tear downs, but in this case, it'll be easier for you to just get a new engine and use that current one as a door stopper. At best, you're looking at $2k worth if parts to fix it if you buy new.

Less learned.

And dayum, look at all those shards of metal.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, those were the responses i was thinking id get. It was a stupid move on my part, but lesson learned :banghead:..we learn through our mistakes..due to the fact that its going to either involve lots of work time and money, im going to just sell the bike with no motor. I dont have time to fix it because im on orders to Germany next month for a few years.

Honda did me well for 4 years as my first bike!!:cruising:

D

·
0 Posts
If you can ship it to Florida, I may no someone who would be interested in the bike.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you can ship it to Florida, I may no someone who would be interested in the bike.
Id rather not deal with shipping Demented. Thanks for the help though. I really appreciate it bro

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How far are you from Thunderhill? I'm going to be there on Nov 6th and wouldn't mind coming back with a track project. LMK
Lucky for you im in Washington. At Fort Lewis. Dunno how far that is from where you are in OR. PM me if ur interested and we can work something out. I head back to Cali oct 18th. Driving. And i live an hour from thunder hill...love that track!

·
Registered
697 Posts
From all the "how to" threads on the CCT, it seemed like all you do is pull the oem, and insert and adjust the APE. If the APE doesn't wreck the motor, how can re-installing the oem one?

D

·
0 Posts
From all the "how to" threads on the CCT, it seemed like all you do is pull the oem, and insert and adjust the APE. If the APE doesn't wreck the motor, how can re-installing the oem one?
There is much much more to doing anything with the engine timing than just removing and installing the CCT.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
$2k for repairs is that a joke??????

I rebuilt the whole top end of my bike for under a 1k with larger pistons and slotted cams.
Get a manual. Pull the engine get it out in the clear so you can inspect every part. If you are mechanical you can fix it, if not take it to a shop and have them look at it.
Manual will show you step by step on how the take it apart and get it back together TDC with a new tensioner in place.

Alternatives.. Sell the engine as a whole or part it out.. If you part it out let me know how much for the lower as long as there are not case cracks. Have a good top end here just need the lower. T

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Are you missing the part that the CCT pushes against the Chain guide in picture 4 or did you not take a picture of it? Just wondering if you broke this piece off and that is the metal shaving and that piece is in the oil pan.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
He got his head off, that is more than most can do. Give him some credit, no manual doesn't mean rape them $2000. Engine removal/install should not take more than 3-4 hours max in labor, maybe 5 if you do it yourself without any help.

D

·
0 Posts
He got his head off, that is more than most can do. Give him some credit, no manual doesn't mean rape them $2000. Engine removal/install should not take more than 3-4 hours max in labor, maybe 5 if you do it yourself without any help.
Honda pays out 5 hours for it on warranty work. A motorcycle shop would typically charge about 8 hours to do it, plus parts. Haven't seen a labor rate under $100/h in a long time.

Shops are evil.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts