1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
BOTY Winner 2015 - BOTM Winner 04/2015
7,274 Posts
Great write-up, thanks!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Awesome write up. The only thing I don't suggest doing is hanging anything off of the blinkers. I just take 4-5 zip ties and hang the calipers off the handlebars.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Great post, this helped me take my rim off for a tire change the other day.

And for those of you having issues with 'hanging' the calipers, I just put them back on to the mounting holes and threaded one bolt in by hand just barely enough to keep it in place.. no tugging or pulling at any of the lines. Although it doesn't work if you're removing your forks in the same fashion :-\

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Thanks for the great write up

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Excellent write-up. A couple of things that I wanted to point out:

1) You should loosen and tighten the axle bolt with the wheel on the ground, not on the front stand, so there's no chance of it slipping off the stand. If you loosen it, make sure the ratchet is on the left side of the tire so you are essentially pushing down towards the ground and not lifting the bike up, and on the right when tightening.

2) I usually clean the axle and collars with brake parts cleaner and lube them both including the entire axle since the tire will be spinning on it. Not sure if you did this, but your picture only shows a part of the axle lubed, maybe it will spread out once inserted.

Also if you're removing your wheel, may be a good time to drill you bolts and saftey wire them if you got the equipment. Thanks OP.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts

2) I usually clean the axle and collars with brake parts cleaner and lube them both including the entire axle since the tire will be spinning on it. Not sure if you did this, but your picture only shows a part of the axle lubed, maybe it will spread out once inserted.
I don't think the wheel actually spins on the axle, the inner race of the bearing is pinched between the spacers and holds it in place. So the bearing is working as designed with an inner and outer race that spin around the ball bearing. Lubing the spacers is a good idea since they have seals spinning on them.

·
BOTM Winner 07/16
880 Posts

1) You should loosen and tighten the axle bolt with the wheel on the ground, not on the front stand, so there's no chance of it slipping off the stand. If you loosen it, make sure the ratchet is on the left side of the tire so you are essentially pushing down towards the ground and not lifting the bike up, and on the right when tightening.

Also if you're removing your wheel, may be a good time to drill you bolts and saftey wire them if you got the equipment. Thanks OP.
:+1:

I generally put the axle in and the pinch bolt; leave it loose but secure.

Put the front wheel on the ground

Bounce the front fork a couple of times before tightening the pinch bolt and axle bolt.

This ensure everything is centred between forks and axle.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I don't think the wheel actually spins on the axle, the inner race of the bearing is pinched between the spacers and holds it in place. So the bearing is working as designed with an inner and outer race that spin around the ball bearing. Lubing the spacers is a good idea since they have seals spinning on them.
You are correct. I was thinking about it wrong. :banghead:

·
Registered
790 Posts
I found that using Google several months and, although I probably could have done it without it, it was nice to have it as a reference. I even bought the 17mm Allen - I was rather expensive IMO but I do not think I really needed it.
Thanks for providing that info.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts