Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

161 - 180 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
So I disconnected my battery, took my covers off. I made sure to get everything off properly. After getting things pc'd I put them back on. I made sure to put everyting back on properly, etc. After I get the bike back together, I tried to start it, it turns over but only a couple times without firing. Fuel Pump primes. But it acts as if the battery id dead. I replaced the battery, same issue. Ive even tried charging the battery, still the same issue. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
So I disconnected my battery, took my covers off. I made sure to get everything off properly. After getting things pc'd I put them back on. I made sure to put everyting back on properly, etc. After I get the bike back together, I tried to start it, it turns over but only a couple times without firing. Fuel Pump primes. But it acts as if the battery id dead. I replaced the battery, same issue. Ive even tried charging the battery, still the same issue. Does anyone have any suggestions?
You may have done what I did; you can install the pulse generator backwards in which case it will not permit the engine to light. Unfortunately, the only way to tell is to pull it open again...

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had that in correctly. Took my cover off tonight, and I had one of the washers for the starter gear on wrong. Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Im in the process of trying to put my cover back on, but I ran into a snag.

I began with putting pieces into the motor. I put in the dowel pin, then the wave washer, then the thrust washer, then went to put in the sprocket and couldnt get it to line up. At first I couldnt think of why it didnt match, but then I realized I moved my bike a little to make more room to work on (without sprocket or pieces in). I didnt know what to do at that point and as I made a *sigh* my finger accidentally slipped and turned the big gold sprocket about 3-4 notches worth (as seen in picture's red line).

Here is where I stopped working on it to come here and post about what I should do. Hopefully I made a small reversable mistake; but I've had bad luck in the past.

So what should I do now?

I thought about turning it all the way back around, but I didnt know if that'd mess anything up so I didnt move it anymore then I already accidentally did.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
^

That is a one way starter clutch; it is fine to spin without issue. I too freaked a little when I turned mine, since the timing gear sits on top of it. Move it as much as you need to get the teeth to mate.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks, I got that all figured out now I'm on the part where everyone probably gets stuck.

I cant get the clutch lever to click in and sync with the internals. I tried and tried til my liquid gasket dried up. It took about 30 minutes to get that all sanded off again; and I'm ready for another shot but are there any tips to getting this clockwise motion to click in place?

For example, is it best to start with the clutch lever in a particular direction? Or is it required the pin coming from the center of the clutch be coming out a certain distance (like all the way out or pushed completely in)?*

I'm almost at a loss, but I thought there might be some tips or tricks.

Thanks for the help guys
*If this is a case, do I need to make sure the bike is in a certain gear?

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Umm, just to verify, you're talking about the clutch lifter lever, right? Yeah, I fooled with that thing a lot too, I kept thinking I was getting it stuck, but it takes a lot of force to actually lift the clutch plates apart.

My best advice, is to look at the inside of the cover, at the lifter rod itself and observe the notch - you can see at what position the crank is at that the notch hole is able to 'hook' around the end of the clutch rod. If you're looking straight down from the top while facing the bike, I believe the position is at 7 - 8 o' clock. Then, as you push in, crank it clockwise - it should pull the cover towards the engine. A second pair of hands would be really helpful, since while you're doing this, you have to keep the pulse generator inside the cover at the same time.

·
Registered
132 Posts
great write up!!! i just replaced my stator cover and this how to was my guide...thanks again bro

·
Registered
195 Posts
Man, this install was right on the money! Thanks!
I did not drain my oil before doing it, and had a very little bit leak out from the right and left covers. Cook to see how the oil sits in the pan just below the line; if you do not have your bike on front and rear stands, there will be way more spillage.

Some notes:
-I did see however why it would be a good idea on draining your oil, as I almost dropped both washers into the oil pool as I removed the clutch cover, and if that had happened, that would have been a nightmare trying to feel in there where they fell..

-The most time spent was peeling and razor-blading the old OEM gasket and gasket applied by a stealership around 3 years ago when I had them replace both covers as they were lightly scuffed by the previous owner. I saved them and had them powdercoated black to replace the damage I had done myself to the bike past June.

-I test practiced how I would install the clutch cover for when I finally apply the gasket, and in doing so, I somehow removed the top gear that sits ontop of the gear that has the dowel and washer. After panicking, I was able to place that gear back in the hole and align all three gears back together. This shouldn't affect timing or anything would it? I moved them only slightly to ensure the teeth all aligned.

-Application of the RTV Black High Temp silicone was a PITA. I lightly screwed all the screws, let it sit overnight and tightened them this morning. I have since started the bike with no problems and went through all 6 gears in the parking lot to test.

All-in-all, the install went through pretty much ok and I am glad I did it myself. Hopefully the somewhat sloppy gasket I made will hold and not leak, but if it does, I am more confident in redoing the gasket over again. :banger:

·
Registered
112 Posts
What a kick A** write up. Thumps Up!!! I'm getting ready to change my covers actually

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've done this just to see if I could a while ago, and your instructions and diagrams would have been of much use. Awesome write-up.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just did the clutch cover on my '08, ran into a snag. After fooling with the clutch lever rod for what seemed like an hour , I got it all back together. When the bike is in gear on a stand and I pull in the clutch, I can barely rotate the rear tire. Also when I put the key in the ignition, I get an oil light, and the bike cranks but won't start. What could I have overlooked?

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Just did the clutch cover on my '08, ran into a snag. After fooling with the clutch lever rod for what seemed like an hour , I got it all back together. When the bike is in gear on a stand and I pull in the clutch, I can barely rotate the rear tire. Also when I put the key in the ignition, I get an oil light, and the bike cranks but won't start. What could I have overlooked?
Make sure the pulse generator signal is mounted correctly (it can be installed backwards.) You'll have to crack it back open.

Make sure the wave and thrust washers are on in the correct order.

·
Registered
901 Posts
AWSOME WRITE UP!!!!!!! I have been looking for picture like this. This is going to be one of my mod's this down season... This helps out big time. THANK YOU!!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Make sure the pulse generator signal is mounted correctly (it can be installed backwards.) You'll have to crack it back open.

Make sure the wave and thrust washers are on in the correct order.
Thank you very much for the help:shakehand. I did have the CKP sensor installed incorrectly. That solved my starting issue. However, I still have the issue of the clutch being engaged preventing me from putting the bike in gear. I don't get it, It all went in like it should. I rotated the spindle while putting the cover on, and it drew the cover in as if it seated correctly. I adjusted the linkage and it still won't go in gear without stalling. :cursin:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Another idea.....buy some longer bolts, about 6 inches long....same as the cover bolts only longer, cut the heads off, use them as guides when installing alternator cover...magnet will pull cover directly into exact location. instal a few cover bolts then remove the longer guide bolts u made...helps with a positive fit with the hondabond or whatever u use

·
Registered
164 Posts
Is the bike still on the stands? If the kickstand is down the bike will die when you pop it into first. Hmm.
Sweet success!
It wasn't the kickstand... It turns out I did have it all back together correctly. I came across another post that explained how the clutch plates can get a little stuck together when you remove the clutch cover. What I did to fix it was start the bike in neutral, ran along side, hopped on and threw it into gear. Bump starting may also be a solution to this problem. The momentum must have freed up the plates because she's back in action:cruising: Thanks again FightingChance!

161 - 180 of 246 Posts