Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm either really weak, don't have the right tools, don't know what im doing or all of the above.

I cant seem to remove the engine mount bolts to install frame sliders. Is there anything special I need to know, ie reverse threaded, red loc-tited?

I'm using a 17mm 1/4" drive socket wrench with maybe a 10" handle, should I be using something else?

Any suggestions, tips?

edit: this is for a '07 600RR

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Don't forget the pinch bolts! Also, use a jack to support the engine, will help with the re-install.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
removing engine mount bolts?

I'm either really weak, don't have the right tools, don't know what im doing or all of the above, but I cant seem to remove the engine mount bolts to install frame sliders (this is for a '07 600RR).

Is there anything special I need to know, ie reverse threaded, red loc-tited? Someone has mentioned pinch bolts, is there a set screw/bolt that "locks" the frame bolt in place?

I'm using a 17mm 1/4" drive socket wrench with maybe a 10" handle, should I be using something else?

Any suggestions, tips?

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Yes......a 1/2" breaker bar. You'll probably break that 1/4" drive ratchet if you try to break those bolts loose. At least get a 3/8" drive ratchet and a cheater bar over the end. The pinch bolts should be clearly visible.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yup... can't get too much leverage using that 1/4" drive socket. Use a bigger rachet, preferably 1/2" with a 17mm socket. Try to use a 6-point socket if you have one so you won't strip your bolt. If you still can't get it, use a cheater pipe for more leverage.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Use something to help support the engine. Think of it this way... your engine is being supported by the two bolts you're trying to remove. This puts downward pressure on the inside of the bolts, thus making it harder to turn them.

If you've got a rear stand, lift it up and get several short pieces of 2x4's... then stack them and gently set the bike down - preferably with someone there that can assist and watch the bike.

Also, a heat gun on the bolts for a minute or so on high heat seemed to help when I did mine. After I broke 'em loose, it was nothing to get them out.

Oh, and if I remember correctly, yes, they did have some form of loc-tite on them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey man I just finished up with my frame slider install on my 05. Everyone is right when they say use a breaker bar and jack up the engine just a little....you can use the one from your car spare and a piece of wood. As far as the pinch bolt goes it is only on the throttle side of the bike. It is the bolt just under the mount bolt. If you search through some of the threads under "frame slider install" you will come across some pics. Any other questions let me know.

·
i love juggggggggzzz
7,498 Posts
does anyone have pics of these "pinch bolts" I don't know where to look for them
dude its really simple they are the bolts that go through the frame to "pinch" the engine mounting bolts. one faces away from the engine one faces toward the engine if i remember correctly. loosen them or hell take them out then, put a socket on the mounting bolts and tap them with a hammer (i used a rubber mallet) till they spin a little. it shoudl be easy from there, i never used a jack but my engine didnt move a mm, its not a bad idea though. its really simple, the hardest part of frame sliders is trying to cut a hole through your beautiful plastics while your hands are shaking from fright.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Get torque wrench, You need it to put the bolts back on right, and it is over a foot long. I had no trouble at all breaking mine free. Also make sure to only do one bolt at a time, this way I didnt have to support my engine and the bolts went back in just fine.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Stripped threads, snapped bolt, torqued frame, etc.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I installed my sliders but i didnt have a torque wrench. I just tightened them down. I havent riden it or anything yet. Should i wait to ride it until I can back out those bolts amd torque them correctly?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Honestly, that's up to you. If it were me, since they are pretty important bolts, I would wait and torque them down correctly.

·
Registered
323 Posts
They are pretty cheap if want to pick one up. I spent like 18 bucks on it. And I know it will me more useful in the future.

·
Registered
250 Posts
OMG your gonna end up with a pile of shiat, If you dont even know how to loosen a bolt your FU#$%ED! pay someone to do it for you!!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts