Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in the process of changing my fairings and need to make holes in the fairings to fit the existing crash sliders. I would skip this step except for the fact that the previous owner installed them and I don't have the original bolts that join the engine to the frame.

...and the LHS bolt is STUCK. I've never been able to remove it, but the fairing easily came off so I ignored it. The RHS is fine and they both take a 19mm bolt.

For some reason it keeps slipping when I try and undo the bolt, the bolt is very slightly sheared from me trying many times, but it's really not that bad, and it looks similar to the RHS which comes off just fine.

I'm going to buy an 18mm socket tomorrow and try it just in case the little sheared off ends allow a smaller socket to fit. I have attached a picture from today before I started cleaning it up to show you the oggy knob location.

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try a 6 point socket if you havn't already.
That's a very good point Rgswol! I've been using the 12 point socket so far.

I'm heading out to buy a socket now so I'll remember that, good thing I remembered to check this thread.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you've got access to the back of the bolt, spray it with a little penetrating solution and loosen then tighten. If not, the same thing should work from the front. Just take it easy and gradually work on it. I learned the hard way lol

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rgswol you bloody legend.

Managed to loosen it in less than 2 seconds with the new 6 point socket.

It's obvious that the last owner hasn't removed it either, rusted pretty badly on the stalk, but at least it's out.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you've got access to the back of the bolt, spray it with a little penetrating solution and loosen then tighten. If not, the same thing should work from the front. Just take it easy and gradually work on it. I learned the hard way lol
Yea I did that last night before I went to bed to let it hopefully seep in, the front doesn't appear to have any path for the the WD40 to seep through but should have put some there too.

It's all done now though.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Rgswol you bloody legend.

Managed to loosen it in less than 2 seconds with the new 6 point socket.

It's obvious that the last owner hasn't removed it either, rusted pretty badly on the stalk, but at least it's out.
Glad you sorted it:thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts