Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of the guys i worked with told me the other day that one of his friends removed the governor off his 600rr not sure the year. said he got more top end out of the bike(obviously). any real cons to doing this? obviously the pro is more top speed.

nick

·
I Am a Ticket Magnet
1,879 Posts
can't say that i have ever heard about a limiter on our 600rr either

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok then maybe both people had no clue wtf he was talking about. cuz this guy only rode for a bit before he had to sell it to get married. maybe it was the PAIR system.

·
Registered
205 Posts
What does this governor supposedly govern? RPM? Speed?

I've been up to 162 on the speedo and the motor was still pulling hard. I don't feel a need to do that again.

If it was the RPM governor, there's not much point since peak horsepower is achieved way before the stock rev limiter (governor) kicks in.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
fastest I ever saw on my speedo was 167. I glanced for a split second in a tuck and it felt like my helmet was squeezing my brain. The pavement was super smoothe, but it still feels pretty violent. I was in a tuck for quite a while. You can see your fuel bars dropping quickly at that speed

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
the bike will do roughly 160-170 ( I forget the exact speed, but it is irrelevant here) before it runs out of gearing. In your final gear, you can redline it, so no, there is no governor. The governors are in bikes that can achieve higher speeds than 185 (again, may not be exactly right with the number, but whatever the regulated 'top speed' is)
Tell the guy you work with to tell his friend, to tell his cousin to tell his fiancee's brother that there is no governor!
Just nod, and smile, sometimes you have to just let them blow smoke out of their ass. I had a 'friend of a friend' ask me what bike I rode, I told him 600rr, he said he had one for his FIRST bike (basically saying it is slow, etc.), and that it was a 2001 600rr, and that his R6 is way faster, etc. I just said 'you sure it was an RR, and not an F4i?' He was dead positive that he owned a 2001 600rr... :tool:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Don't remember where I read this, but the law requires that if a bike is "capable of reaching higher speeds" it must be governed to a modest 186.6 MPH. Where they came up with that number I have never been able to figure out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Don't remember where I read this, but the law requires that if a bike is "capable of reaching higher speeds" it must be governed to a modest 186.6 MPH. Where they came up with that number I have never been able to figure out.
186.6 mph = 300 kph

It's a nice, round number (government types like those) for the metrically-inclined countries that agreed upon these arbitrary limitations.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
haha id agree with tool for that one...

somehow we design things around the metric system but we wont ever use it...go figure that is our governemnt

thanks guys for clearing that mess up for me, wasnt sure if i missed something or not.

·
I Am a Ticket Magnet
1,879 Posts
that probably because standard makes no sense at all... in my opinion metric is much easier to deal with...

·
Registered
847 Posts
The 186MPH governor is not a law but a regulation that the corporations took on voluntarily

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
11,188 Posts
the bike will do roughly 160-170 ( I forget the exact speed, but it is irrelevant here) before it runs out of gearing. In your final gear, you can redline it, so no, there is no governor. The governors are in bikes that can achieve higher speeds than 185 (again, may not be exactly right with the number, but whatever the regulated 'top speed' is)
Tell the guy you work with to tell his friend, to tell his cousin to tell his fiancee's brother that there is no governor!
Just nod, and smile, sometimes you have to just let them blow smoke out of their ass. I had a 'friend of a friend' ask me what bike I rode, I told him 600rr, he said he had one for his FIRST bike (basically saying it is slow, etc.), and that it was a 2001 600rr, and that his R6 is way faster, etc. I just said 'you sure it was an RR, and not an F4i?' He was dead positive that he owned a 2001 600rr... :tool:
Wow, those are rare. In fact I have never seen one they are so rare. Must be worth a fortune. LOL

1 - 20 of 55 Posts