Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Your friend is like this guy ====> I'm not sure was this a joke or not. Someone on one of the gsxr forum was talking about removing his traction control on his GSXR600, because it was slowing him down. :all_cohol

·
Registered
906 Posts
Only the Jap import bikes have a speed restrictor; otherwise the only governor is your own right wrist.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i'm just curious why this thread died back in april, was brought back in november, died again, and now brought back up? post whores maybe?

later

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
Don't remember where I read this, but the law requires that if a bike is "capable of reaching higher speeds" it must be governed to a modest 186.6 MPH. Where they came up with that number I have never been able to figure out.
the big for in japan had a gentlemans agreement to limit bikes to 300kph, they did this before the govt stepped on with legistration forceing them to do so!

this applied mostly to the busas and ba]lackbirds of the day , now with 1ks hitting those speeds the agreement has softened a little .

·
Registered
1,086 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
186.6 mph = 300 kph

It's a nice, round number (government types like those) for the metrically-inclined countries that agreed upon these arbitrary limitations.
That is still crazy fast. If you have ever seen Ghostrider on youtube and his 499hp busa. Anyways I know no way of eliminating the governer on the bike. Sounds like the "ebay resistor hp mod chip to me... aka BS"

·
Registered
922 Posts
The 186MPH governor is not a law but a regulation that the corporations took on voluntarily

Si. My old xx would briefly hit 192 and fall back to 187 indicated. Sure felt like there was more left too...:cruising:

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
is there anyway of getting rid of the rev limiter in 6th gear? my bike is still pulling pretty hard whe it hits it, id like to see what it could get to.
Pfft, haha. Holy undead thread.

It's not goverened. You're running out of gearing. You'd have to install a rear sprocket with less teeth or something.

Also, the more you know: to help stop crotch rocket riders from killing themselves, all sportbike speedos are 5% miscalibrated on purpose. GPS units will give true speeds - so 168 on the speedo is actually 160. Sorry to kick you guys in the ego. ;)

·
Banned
72 Posts
The govm't regulation for the speed restriction also stems from tire manufacturers. Most tires are only rated to W, safe up to 168mph (Michelin Pilot Power 2 CT's are only W tires). Above that are Y rated tires, safe at 186+mph, but there aren't very many of them out there that are DOT approved, mostly just race tires.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Pfft, haha. Holy undead thread.

It's not goverened. You're running out of gearing. You'd have to install a rear sprocket with less teeth or something.

Also, the more you know: to help stop crotch rocket riders from killing themselves, all sportbike speedos are 5% miscalibrated on purpose. GPS units will give true speeds - so 168 on the speedo is actually 160. Sorry to kick you guys in the ego. ;)
If manufacturers intentionally miscalibrate speedos, then the odometers are INTENTIONALLY off as well, which woud open them up to some serious legal issues regarding warranties. They have to fall within a certain tolerance. If they are a little off it is no big deal, but there is a limit. Honda actually had a class action law suit against them with the earlier 7g accords because the speedo/odo was off by enough where the warranty woud be up early. Honda had to honor the warranty for extra miles (I forget the exact amount right now) on the affected cars.

Not saying that the speedos are not off, just saying that they do not intentionally calibrate it up 5% on all bikes. This is just fuel for the conspiracy theorists.

·
Registered
95 Posts
fastest I ever saw on my speedo was 167. I glanced for a split second in a tuck and it felt like my helmet was squeezing my brain. The pavement was super smoothe, but it still feels pretty violent. I was in a tuck for quite a while. You can see your fuel bars dropping quickly at that speed
hahaha yeah not the most fuel effecint at that speed lol

21 - 40 of 55 Posts