Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to remove the triple tree to replace my left clip-on. So far Ive removed the pinch bolts on clip-ons and the triple tree, used a rubber mallet to tap on the triple to aid removal but still luck. Ive done my searching on the site and found a how to (the one about turning the key to off) but it still doesn't help. My triple tree has probably moved 1 mm from the hammering. It seems as if its welded to the forks. Help please.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody else had or have this problem?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I hate to say this but I would leave the triple alone and remove the fork. Only because to take the triple off, you have to losen it from both forks... Remove the nut in the center and I think also a locknut under it... then when you put it back on... the nut and locknut have to be torqued for the steering bearings to have the correct pressure on them.

If the triple has moved already, then that's what you have to do. I have not taken the trpile off so I don't know what you need to do but I think there is a special tool you'll have to use. PM prowakeskater... He has just rebuilt his bike and I know he had the triples off.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem revisited a month later and still no luck. Please help guys. I'm using a 1 lb mallet to hammer and its not doing a thing.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
hey cjt... i wrote up a "how to" on how to remove it. i'm not sure if you read my post already. i read that you removed the bolts for the pinch bolts. did you also remove the upper pinch bolts on the triple that pinch to the forks? also, sometimes there is a metal bracket that holds the handlebar to the upper triple. another stupid question, did you already remove the stem nut?

when you say to the "off" position for the key, this means that you can move the handlebars freely so that you can turn left and right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just removed mine tonight. No mallet needed. Pinch bolts and the top center nut (32mm). It doesn't just slide off real easy, I pushed down on the top of the fork with the heel of my hand (note to self wear gloves next time) and pulled up on the triple clamp one side at a time and it came off. Unfortunately when I put it back on I got it all the way down and then walked over to my workbench only to find the locknut and washer laying there. Crap. Another 15 mins out of my life.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Honda reccommendation is to drop the fork leg I believe - remove front calipers, wheel, fender loosen lower pinch bolts, drop fork leg down reverse to install and torque wrench everything

I personally would not reccommend attempting to leave the forks in the bottom clamps and hammerring out the triple in ANY fashion, if it doesn't move easily on it's own accord you are more likely to bend someting fairly expensive than get the triple off - my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Honda reccommendation is to drop the fork leg I believe - remove front calipers, wheel, fender loosen lower pinch bolts, drop fork leg down reverse to install and torque wrench everything

I personally would not reccommend attempting to leave the forks in the bottom clamps and hammerring out the triple in ANY fashion, if it doesn't move easily on it's own accord you are more likely to bend someting fairly expensive than get the triple off - my 2 cents

it will be fine.
the bottom clamps will hold the forks easily. there is no reason to jack up and remove the forks.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys. its been awhile since ive been back on the site. Ive been working so much that i havent time to try another time at it till tonight. and i finally got it off!!!!!!!! i ended up heating the threaded part with an industrial dryer. then i stood over the middle and used two 2 lb mallets on both ends of the tree. took my time tapping and it finally came off. all there is left now is to replace the clip-on, repair the gauged threads, buy another 30 mm nut and reinstall everything.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Should you have the ignition in off(freely moving) or in lock??

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Thank you Nico I was able to get my triple off and switch my clip-ons out in like 40 minutes so I was pretty psyched how easy it was. I didn't need a mallet at all just slid right off.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Thank you Nico I was able to get my triple off and switch my clip-ons out in like 40 minutes so I was pretty psyched how easy it was. I didn't need a mallet at all just slid right off.
Cool, ocasionally if the front end is still on the ground you may need to have a mate grab the front brake and push the bike forward to get the triple back on... the weight of the bike will push the tubes backwards a little...

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Cool, ocasionally if the front end is still on the ground you may need to have a mate grab the front brake and push the bike forward to get the triple back on... the weight of the bike will push the tubes backwards a little...
Mine slid right back on lined up and everything. I just had to tap it with a mallet to get it to slide down all the way for the nut to go on. Thanks again!

·
Registered
51 Posts
ok guys found this thread digging where can i get a socket to retourqe the steering head lock nut at? im in the middle of replacing my front end

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
You don't need the socket mate, have a look in my sig and you will find a link to replacing the bearings. Follow that and you will be fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts