Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm planning a road trip to Key West, FL around late December or January. I've been there before and its about a grueling 8 hour drive, so NO WAY am I riding my bike all the way there from Orlando! When i was in Key West last August (i drove my car there), everyone rented those tiny little mopeds and rode around the small town. But as a proud crotch-rocket owner, i would love to bring my RR there and roam around town with that instead.

My idea is to rent a pick-up truck, preferrably a quadcab that seats 4 and a long enough bed to load my bike. I have a friend who has a Gixxer 600 who would love to bring her bike along with mine. So that being said, what do u guys recommend i rent as a good truck to load 2 bikes in the bed? Is this even reasonable to bring 2 bikes on the back of a truck for a 8-hour road trip?

The other issue is that i'll have to find and bring a ramp to load and unload the bikes. I don't know where to get one so i'll have to look around. HELP!!

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Take the bike man! 8 hours isn't as bad as it seems as long as you take breaks. I've done a 10 hour trip before...a little sore afterward but not too bad.

·
Registered
423 Posts
if you have a van or a truck you can tow with , i think Uhal has a 2 bike trailer they rent, other wise any big size pick up will work to take the bikes with you, and i think your local dealer should sell the ramp to loud the bikes up on the pickup....

·
Registered
246 Posts
I live in FL too and that ride would be a bitch. I say rent the truck or a trailer. Any full size pick up should hold two bikes no problem. As for loading the bikes, Me and two buddies can put my bike in my truck in abour 10 seconds by just lifting it. Its much easier and cheaper than a ramp. Good luck though. Key West would be sweet on the bike.

·
Registered
194 Posts
rent a truck from enterprise, they are the bomb! you can buy a "ramp kit" from home depot. its a bracket you bolt to a 2x8 board and you can make a ramp as long as you need it to be. LOCK THE TAILGATE when the bikes are in there.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm totally down for road trips but an 8hour drive to Key West is just a little to far for me. it gets kinda uncomfortable riding the bike after a couple of hours. plus, i won't be able to carry any luggage. thats the downside of owning crotch rockets.

i'll definitely look into renting a pickup truck then. doesn't sound like a bad idea. i'll just have to get the ramp somehow coz i might not have enough people going who can lift up a 360lb bike. thanx for the advice guys.

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
I have a pickup for sale, ill bring it to Jax, FL of you want to buy it, peep my sig.

·
19,904 Posts
Buy my truck, rent a ramp, you'll be golden.

·
Registered
461 Posts
it will be pretty hard to fit 2 bikes on the back of a truck...you have to use the same hooks for the 2 bikes and the tie downs won't be symmetrical...not sure how that will work. you're better off getting a big van (those work vans) so at least your bikes are enclosed. plus it's much lower to the ground for easier loading/unloading.

·
19,904 Posts
thats what the blanket of for, put it between am, strap em down and roll.

·
Registered
121 Posts
if you take the truck easiest way to haul 2 bikes is get a trailer. You have hell getting 2 bikes in the bed of the truck.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i figured two bikes on the bed of a truck would be tight but i'll have to check it out. thanks for the offer Snikwad but i have a 2 door car already and can't buy a truck just yet. my friend has a ford with a long bed and extended cab (seats 4 adults) so i'll look into renting that and the ramp.

·
Registered
120 Posts
To bad you are so far away. I have my fourwheeler trailer for sale. The front of the trailer had a ramp on it too so you can drive from the trailer up to the bed of the truck. One bike in the bed and one in trailer. Takes care of all the problems lol. Got a ramp, and 2 bikes what more could you ask for lol.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanx for the offer anyway. its a tough choice deciding whether i should get a truck or a trailer for the trip. my neighbor has a trailer which can take two bikes but that means i still need an suv to tow it (i only have a car). it sounds easier to take the bikes on a trailer since they come with a ramp for easier loading/unloading and tie-down.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i just found out a friend of mine has a 4x4 dodge ram with a 8foot bed and a back seat. i think this solves my problem. now i just gotta get the ramp and convince him to let me borrow it. =P

1 - 20 of 20 Posts