Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike I bought has part of the old key broken off in the lock for the rear underseat storage. The Previous owner just used a flat head screw driver the rotate the lock mechanism (which is evident by the damage around the lock).

My question is, is it possible to repair/remove the old key from the assembly, or would I just have to replace the lock assembly? If so, where could I purchase a new lock assembly for the underseat storage? I'm assuming if I went this route, I'd either have two separate keys for the ignition and storage, or I'd have to get a new ignition.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The bike I bought has part of the old key broken off in the lock for the rear underseat storage. The Previous owner just used a flat head screw driver the rotate the lock mechanism (which is evident by the damage around the lock).

My question is, is it possible to repair/remove the old key from the assembly, or would I just have to replace the lock assembly? If so, where could I purchase a new lock assembly for the underseat storage? I'm assuming if I went this route, I'd either have two separate keys for the ignition and storage, or I'd have to get a new ignition.
Here is what I did before for mine cuz mine was fucked up. Just buy a new lock mechanism from partzilla, ebay or some ****. Once you get the new one take the new on and your ignition key to a locksmith. Tell them to rekey that lock to work with the ignition key.... done. Now install everything and your back on the road. Taking that key out of the lock will proably be a bitch you can get a new lock for cheap and a locksmith dosen't charge much to rekey the lock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is what I did before for mine cuz mine was fucked up. Just buy a new lock mechanism from partzilla, ebay or some ****. Once you get the new one take the new on and your ignition key to a locksmith. Tell them to rekey that lock to work with the ignition key.... done. Now install everything and your back on the road. Taking that key out of the lock will proably be a bitch you can get a new lock for cheap and a locksmith dosen't charge much to rekey the lock.
Thanks, I'll have to look into that. That didn't really occur to me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts