Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my bro is planning on repairing his left side mid and upper fairing on his '05 r6. He crashed it and ended up scraping it all the way thru, not cracked really, just ground all the way down. now my questions are:

1)How hard is it to do actually, he claims its real easy but he's also never done something like this before

2)Is it better to replace the fairings or to fix them. Is the quality going to be good enough, or do you guys suggest he replaces them?

He wants to save money obviously by fixing them himself, i just dont know if the quality or the job would be worth it.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
DirteeJerzee said:
He crashed it and ended up scraping it all the way thru, not cracked really, just ground all the way down.
Sounds like your friend has his work cut out for him. I agree with Ceph though, especially if you're doing anything like stunting, or learning how to wheelie or whatever, anything that might cause you to lay it down again. And if that is the case, don't invest too much $$ in the reapir either.

I've never tried any repair like that, but my bet is that it'd be moderately difficult. Smoothing out the fairings and getting them contoured correctly, sounds like a pain actually.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Realistically, if he does the work himself, hes not going to save a whole lot over just buying new pre-painted bodywork unless he has full access to a paintbooth and all the required tools. It is easy...if you know what your doing. Ive done a little bit of body work and painting in my day(LUCKILY none on the RR!! knock on wood), and can tell you, its something thats best left to the people who know what their doing. If hes determined to do it himself, let him....and when he F&cks it up, you can laugh at him the entire way to the body shop.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Repairing stock plastics is often harder because they are alot of time actually plastic molds and not fibreglass. But for the fibreglass stuff (ie all aftermarket stuff), you'll need some Bondo fibreglass repair, an assortment of sandpapers, fibreglass cloth, the hardener cream for the bondo, and alot of patience. I just got done repairing my crashed race glass, and they came out like new.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well our pops is gonna help him do it actually...and he has done a lil bit of bodywork stuff before...granted it was on car stuff....but he is just doing what my bro asked him to do.

i was thinkin for him to just get a scuffed up set from someone and just repainting them as opposed to having to repair the set. well lets see how this works out

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
An epoxy system like West might bond better. In their manual they talk about prepping ABS.

I bought some epoxy at napa (part # 47809/22045) that listed ABS compatible. I used it on a crack and it has held together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts