Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Start of by saying I did a little search, couldnt come up w/ anything useful.

Well I'm starting the MSF course and the second I am done w/ that I have a bike lined up to buy.

The problem is that the seller laid it down a while ago (maybe 7monthes) and didn't really ride it after. Since I do live in FL, rust kind of set in and did it's fine work on the chain.

The seller still rides it (once/bi weekly around the property) to keep it in working order but he says "he would reccomend replacing the chain".

My question is, should I replace the chain, and if I do... how much would that cost (parts+labor). So then I could deduct that from the final selling price.

Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
You can clean the rust off the chain with WD40. You can try that first.

As for changing the chain and sprockets, it depends on the parts you get. it can be anywhere from 150 bucks to 300+ depending on the chain and sprockets you buy. Labor... You can really do it yourself. But if you dont have the tools, Id say 2 hours or so worth of labor.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Dooley, if you need some help with this bike let me know. I can come over and take a look at it. Most of the time it's just surface rust and you can simply oil the chain. How many miles are on the bike? Can you post a picture of the chain?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts