Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any of you guys replace a complete clutch assembly in a truck. I have a Nissan that is sounding rough ( I believe throwout bearing). I've never even seen a clutch before buy my dad says I should try it myself. I'm very good with stuff like this although I do get frustrated and angry very easily. Any idea's, secrets, tips, etc....? Or should I avoid it and let a prof. do it?

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Very easy job Bobby. Let me know when you want to do it and I'll help you out.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I did it in my Mustang, pain in the a$$ if your doing it on the ground not so bad if you have access to a lift. The transmission has to be seperated from the motor to get the old assembly out. Don't just do the thowout bearing if you've got it apart that far, do the whole unit.... clutch, pressure plate, resurface / replace flywheel, throwout bearing pilot bearing. Tips: clean flywheel with brake fluid prior to reassembly, make sure you have a clutch alignment tool to align the pressure plate splines with the clutch disc splines, lightly grease transmission input shaft to eliminate some stiction & help with smooth operation, drain transmission fluid before removing driveshaft, reinstall driveshaft in exact same orientation as removed, buy transmission jack and plenty of extensions swivel joints for sockets, torque all bolts to proper spec, check engine rear main seal while apart, let me know if you want me to keep going

·
Registered
725 Posts
It's not too bad...just big pieces have to be pulled out of the way, like the
transmission and drive shaft.
If your mechanically inclined, you must be because your dad suggested you do it,
then I suggest you get the Chilton repair manual for your truck and "GET 'UR DONE!"
A few things that will make the job smoother. A transmission jack, or a floorjack
to hold and manuver the transmission. A torque wrench, a 20" extension for
the socket(to remove the pressure plate easier), and a decent pry bar(to hold and
break loose U-Joint bolts). If you have those, the book, the tools, and half a
brain...then you can handle it.
Steps are easy:
1) Remove drive shaft from transmission and rear-end
2) Put Jack under transmission to hold wieght.
3) Remove Transmission support brace from transmission and frame
4) Disconnect transmission shifting linkage and all sensor connections.
5) Remove transmission from engine block.
6) Remove clutch pressure plate, remove throw-out bearing, remove clutch plate.
7) INstall new as it was removed. Used the alignment tool(VERY IMPORTANT) thats
how the transmission shaft lines up with the engine.
Tighten the pressure plate in a star pattern in even increments. The metal tangs
in the center of the plate should go down evenly. (VERY IMPORTANT TOO) this
insurse the clutch will go in and out evenly. If it out of whack then it wears uneven
and you'll be doing this again in 3 months.
8) Reinstall the rest in the reverse oder it was removed. Follow all torque specs in the
repair manual.

After you get the clutch off, check the fly wheel for unusual marks, like burn spots,
gouges, or warpage. If any of those are there, then the flywheel needs to be replaced
or ground even.

GOOD LUCK! :D

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, i might just give it a shot then. steve-o, it's a 2000 Nissan Frontier 2wd 4cyl. all this should help if i decide to do it (although the thought of doing it does have me a little nervous), keep the info coming! THANKS!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts