Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just got done installing my “new” rebuilt engine. Old engine had a crack in the crank case by the timing chain (from falling over due to high winds). It started a year ago with no issues, even after the damage.

Now I installed the rebuilt engine and doesn’t fire. It cranks just fine but doesn’t start. Battery is good (I’ve kept it on a trickle charge off the bike since the crank case cracked), injectors are good, I just had them sent off to be tested and cleaned. ECU was reflashed. Grounds going to the ECU show continuity, and there is voltage going to the ECU. Fuel pump primes (was a little finicky at first but once I disconnected and reconnected the shutoff switch it reacts flawlessly to the key turning on and cycling the switch) Fuel reaches the injectors but I don’t think they are firing. There is voltage going to them when the bike is on just like everything else but there is no change in voltage, except for the drop due to the starter draw.

Pulled a spark plug and there was no evidence of fuel (smell or visual) on it. Coil had voltage going through it but I will have to double check the actual spark (I believe it does spark since there is slight discoloration on the tip of the plug, other than that the plugs still look new)

BAS does what it’s supposed to do when I disconnect it (fuel pump gets Disabled)

and as far as I can tell there are no FI lights on. I will double check again tomorrow though.

I know it’s a lot lol

any thoughts?

·
Registered
246 Posts
You may have trapped the fuel line when lowering the tank, so lift that and check.

When completely empty of fuel they can take quite a few prods of the starter button to jump into life.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Are you 100% sure the rebuild/reassembly was done right? If all the usual suspects check out but it won't catch that leaves a compression or timing issue.

Next time you take the plugs out check compression. It's a good number to write down for future reference to see how the motor is holding up at any rate.

Granted fuel delivery, or lack thereof, is much more likely.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You may have trapped the fuel line when lowering the tank, so lift that and check.

When completely empty of fuel they can take quite a few prods of the starter button to jump into life.
yea unfortunately not a kink in the line 😅 so far spent two days and two battery charges of fuel being primed😒

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New update. Bike starts with TPS sensor disconnected. So I guess I’ll start with a new throttle body... any other thoughts?

it was faulting for the TPS too so

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The TPS would'nt stop the bike from starting , although it wouldn't idle as it should , have you tested the TPS
I was able to test everything but the resistance on the sensor. I hate removing the intake because of how tight the fit is and trying to avoid damaging the lower intake portion. But I’ll take it back apart today and test it. Purchased one for 100$ off a used parts place that offers a 90 day warranty so either way bad or good I’ll need to get to it.

And yea, you wouldn’t think so but seeing as with the sensor connected it won’t start and disconnected it will. The sensor could be telling the ECU a position that disables the injectors, so it could cause it I guess.
Either way we’ll see 😅

all things point to it being a throttle issue. Starting WOT, starting with TPS disconnected and it having a TPS fault. If its not, then only thing left is the ECU, wiring seems good. It is possible I damaged the TPS removing or installing it. As I did catch myself putting pressure on it during the process at least once.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you think it could be way out , have a look at You Tube there are videos showing how to test the TPS for voltage by back probing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts