Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the heck am I forgetting here!
2003 600rr stock

The bike will turn over and I hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key, but it wont fire. Initially, after I wired in my new blinkers I started the bike just to make sure it ran and blinkers worked and it fired right up. I turned it off after about 5 seconds. Next, I went to pull the bike out of the garage to move it today and it fired up again for about 3 seconds or so before I stalled #newb. After that it wouldn't start again. I kinda think both times it started up I was just running off the fuel in the lines, and now that the lines are empty the bike wont start.

I unplugged the large blue and large white plug for the front fairing: These have been plugged back in

I took off the tip sensor to get the headlight assembly out of the front fairing: This was never unplugged and I bolted it back up.

I don't have a clue where I should look next??? Help!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Again...Would the bike have started a couple times though?
Starting it caused a current to run thru the wire shorting something out then causing it to stall thinking it may be tipped over and now it's stuck in the tip over mode.

I'm just speculating here as I'm not an electrician and hate electrical but it wouldn't hurt to double check.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You said you stalled it. You sure the bike isn't in gear?
I would put my money on this one.

If the tip sensor isnt mounted correctly he wouldnt be hearing the pump prime.
The ultimate diss :( Yes I stalled it, then I pulled in the clutch and couldn't get it started again. I also later set the bike up in neutral and couldn't get it to fire.

After talking with my roommate about it, he said he had a similar problem that ended up being a bad ground. One of the prongs in his plugs broke off and caused the bike not to fire.

bejbis is right, if the fuel pump primed, then it can't be a bad tip sensor.

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
The ultimate diss :( Yes I stalled it, then I pulled in the clutch and couldn't get it started again. I also later set the bike up in neutral and couldn't get it to fire.

After talking with my roommate about it, he said he had a similar problem that ended up being a bad ground. One of the prongs in his plugs broke off and caused the bike not to fire.

bejbis is right, if the fuel pump primed, then it can't be a bad tip sensor.
Hey, you never know. We all make bone head mistakes every once in a while.

So is it turning over but not firing or not turning over at all? If it's just turning over you might have flooded it with constant on/offs. Not as common on FI bikes but it's still possible.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, you never know. We all make bone head mistakes every once in a while.

So is it turning over but not firing or not turning over at all? If it's just turning over you might have flooded it with constant on/offs. Not as common on FI bikes but it's still possible.
It's turning over but not firing. The only way to fix a flooded motor is to let it turn over a bunch right?...I've done that.

I wasn't able to check the plugs with a voltmeter this morning as the guy I work with must have taken it. But the plugs didn't look to have any broken prongs.

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
It's turning over but not firing. The only way to fix a flooded motor is to let it turn over a bunch right?...I've done that.

I wasn't able to check the plugs with a voltmeter this morning as the guy I work with must have taken it. But the plugs didn't look to have any broken prongs.
Yeah, with the throttle wide open.
sounds like a ground issue....
This would be my conclusion as well. The bike sounds mechanically sound since you can keep it turning over.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well starting the bike wot did nothing, so it's not flooded.

I tried checking for bad grounds and I think I've concluded that I just don't really know how to go about doing this.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts