Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s up everyone. So I was on the freeway and had a loss in throttle response, pulled over and heard a ticking or something of some sort. I’ve been told it’s my cct so I ordered a new oem one and will be replacing it. I am in need of some advice here. Would I have to set my engine to top dead center and re-time the bike? I’ve been getting multiple mixed answers about this. Any advice would help. 2008 Honda cbr600rr.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,814 Posts
your symptom isn't in line with a cct. having a loose cam chain won't result in loss of throttle response.

but if somehow the cct failed completely and you jumped timing then yes you'll have to re-time the engine. you have to set the bike TDC to do the tensioner anyway, regardless of timing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You don't have to re-time the engine, but yes, you do have to set the engine to top dead center to relieve the pressure from the cam chain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
your symptom isn't in line with a cct. having a loose cam chain won't result in loss of throttle response.

but if somehow the cct failed completely and you jumped timing then yes you'll have to re-time the engine. you have to set the bike TDC to do the tensioner anyway, regardless of timing.
Why wouldn’t a loose cam chain cause power loss?

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,814 Posts
because the tensioner only works on the slack side of the chain, the taut side of the chain (that affects cam timing) is unaffected by the tensioner.

the only way you could cause issues with a loose chain is if you skipped timing, and in that case you have a very serious risk of crashing valves and ruining your engine.

if you skipped a tooth chances are the bike wouldn't even run anymore, and if it did it would run exceptionally poorly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
because the tensioner only works on the slack side of the chain, the taut side of the chain (that affects cam timing) is unaffected by the tensioner.

the only way you could cause issues with a loose chain is if you skipped timing, and in that case you have a very serious risk of crashing valves and ruining your engine.

if you skipped a tooth chances are the bike wouldn't even run anymore, and if it did it would run exceptionally poorly.
Ok so since my bike still runs and idles like it’s supposed to, but only has a bit of issue accelerating do you think it would be safe to just install the new cct without checking timing and setting engine to tdc?

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,814 Posts
You have to set TDC to change the tensioner. I said that previously.

Stop trying to half ass this

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
OP, stop.?

Are you sure CCT is your problem?

If the cam chain slipped while riding it would "lunch" the motor, as wibbly described above.

You've not found the true cause of the "ticking and loss of power" you posted about above.

How many miles on the motor..?

You may be doing the wrong "fix" by changing the CCT w/o further investigation?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OP, stop.?

Are you sure CCT is your problem?

If the cam chain slipped while riding it would "lunch" the motor, as wibbly described above.

You've not found the true cause of the "ticking and loss of power" you posted about above.

How many miles on the motor..?

You may be doing the wrong "fix" by changing the CCT w/o further investigation?
This is the first fix I was trying is the cct, had someone tell me the same was happening with them, replaced the cct and fixed it. Hoping that’s just my problem. But from what you guys are saying it sounds deeper than that. Engine has 17k.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
have valves been checked?

usually done at 16K miles....IIRC the CCT gets changed when that service is done?
(I'm not sure what the recommended interval is for CCT change)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
have valves been checked?

usually done at 16K miles....IIRC the CCT gets changed when that service is done?
(I'm not sure what the recommended interval is for CCT change)
Valves haven’t been checked, since I’ve owned it at least. I’m brining it into my mechanic on Monday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts