Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a lot of research on this website and others before my trip so I thought I would post my results. Ended up buying the Airhawk seat cushion. After two 50 mile trips I was disappointed. Mainly because I either had too much or too little air in the cushion. But after getting it dialed in, it is quite amazing. Trip details: 4000 miles, 9 days, 7 states, 2 countries and ended up with 1 bald tire. Went from Ann Arbor, MI to the very top of Nova Scotia. My butt hurt less after 4000 miles than it typically would after a 200 mile day. There is one trade off. It does raise you enough that you notice more weight being put on your arms. If you can solve this, it would be perfect. Oh yeah, I had the cushion turned around, with the narrow end towards the rear of the bike. FYI...I have an 03 600rr. I also put thick foam grips over my stock one. This helped a lot also.

·
Registered
134 Posts
There is a nice little piece that slips over the throttle called the cramp buster. Lets you take more stress off of the wrists. Great for long trips, cheap too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I stated "more" comfortable. Of course nothing is going to solve the entire problem. But in hind site, the $140 was completely worth it. I didn't dread getting back on the bike each day.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i saw a cramp buster in the store the other day. does it really make that much of a difference? when using it are people resetting their hand on the throttle grip and have the 'flippy' portion under your wrist while the trottle is applied? (not sure if that makes sense)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
wow, im surprised nobody said anything about a tank bag.

I made a 13 hour trip one way, then the same trip back, all in less than 36 hours. I wouldnt have been able to do it comfortably (sortof), without my backback rigged as a tank bag.

With it full of clothes, it was like a large pillow to rest on. Couple that with a cramp buster and youre set.

·
Registered
9 Posts
wow, im surprised nobody said anything about a tank bag.

I made a 13 hour trip one way, then the same trip back, all in less than 36 hours. I wouldnt have been able to do it comfortably (sortof), without my backback rigged as a tank bag.

With it full of clothes, it was like a large pillow to rest on. Couple that with a cramp buster and youre set.

I completely agree on the tankbag. Was very nice to rest an elbow or chest on after a few hours. I found the stock windscreen was also better than a double bubble or other larger one because the wind hits your midsection and helps hold you up (me anyway @ 6"3) .

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Airhawk is truly amazing, butt burn is practically eliminated. For converting a sportbike to a sport tourer convertibars are the ticket. Not pretty but we are talking comfort right? As for the tank bag. this really works well but don't get too comfy. Droning dowm I 5 one day I was resting on my bag unable to see my mirrors until I heard a tap on a siren.
Seems I was blocking a CHP for awhile. Did I mention that I was in the fast lane and my buddy was in the slow lane? I am not ususally that unaware and have not been since. Doh!

·
Registered
728 Posts
OK anyone have a favorite comfy tank bag ? :)

With my height, I'm thinking a tank bag, and the cramp buster would go a long way.

·
Rossifumi
199 Posts
Anyone ever mess around with raising the bars up a little bit to take some of the pressure off your wrists? If so, could you offer up some specifics?

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
i found that anything with rr isnt very good for long distance LoL. the F4i was an easy 800km/day bike with just a throttle rocker. but the 600rr and 929rr (929 being the worst) cause your ass and arms to go numb. me and my wife did 700km 2 up on the 929 she said never again are we gonna go that far together on it and im fine with that LoL. a gel seat and cruise control would in my opinion be worth their weight in gold for a LD trip.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've made some changes to mine for the sake of comfort. Biggest difference to date has been the Helibars. They help tremendously with comfort. I also have the Saddlemen gel seat. If I'm gonna be on for a really long haul, I throw my gel seat pad from Walmart over the bike's seat and take off. It helps, but looks like ass when you get off the bike. I've also put some Grip Puppies over the stock grips. My next addition will be a throttle lock of some kind, haven't decided which yet. No matter what you do, the RR will never be as comfy as a factory sport tourer. You just have to weigh what it is that you want in a bike. For me, I'll sacrifice some of the comforts for the performance. My last bike was an FJR1300, and it was a great bike. Not near the fun factor and not nearly as grin inducing as the RR though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts