Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there

I'm an Old Bloke that resides in South Australia and my interest in Bikes is a bit outside the Box. I participate in the Dry Lake Racers Australia (DLRA) Land Speed Racing at the Lake Gairdner Salt Flats in South Oz

I have been running in three of the 250cc classes with a highly modded RGV since 2010. My Official best is 194kph/121mph in "Open" ( aka no Fairing) Class and (unofficial GPS best) 140mph in Partial Streamlined (aka Fairing) Class. I have never had a fault free run thanks to my One Man Band learn as I go skill set. :laugh:

I also have a Rat 1989 NSR250, that would be my preference, but it needs a lot of work to run it. Given the scarcity and expense of NSR parts it is not an affordable option.

Next year due to a change in the Fuel regulations, my RGV needs a lot of changes to run unleaded fuel so I am looking at moving to a 4 stroke and finally go back to a Honda. As I want to go faster than the 240kph/140mph potential of the RGV I have decided to look closer at running a Honda 600RR in the 650cc Classes.

So I have a bit of reading to do and I'll be asking a lot of questions.

Pete

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Welcome Pete,

I'd bet that you could get a 600 to go over the 300kph mark easily, and if the bike is dustbin and tail faired I'd bet 330+.

Are you allowed to use advanced fairing designs?

Pics of your RGV?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok here is a bit of background info on Land Speed Racing and my RGV

This my first year 2010 I ran 118mph/190kph licensing test track GPS reading, but had an misfire issue on the official timed Mile. (turns out I had a water leak from fault in assembly by prior owners mechanic and me being a newbie not checking engine)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Then we had 2011 -2012 Cancelled due to flooded Lake.

Meantime I built this Fairing and ran it from 2013 - 2015 with various issues.
2013 handling and crosswinds limited my speed to 113mph.
2014 Minor Engine issues thanks to my inexperience in engine assembly. went 118mph/190kph officially with engine cutting out 3/4 way through clutch in coasting the rest.
!40mph/225kph GPS max.
2015 Made changes to fairing that did not work the Bike went right once I went over 120mph/225kph so record set at 121mph/225kph.

Land Speed = Patience

Pete

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went back to Open Class in 2016 and rest the record at 121mph/195kph on first run then had electrical issues (common on the harsh Salt conditions), found I had a TPS/CDI failure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally 2017 2018 I ran my home made chassis. (Did not go this year due to Budgetary restraints aka I was temporarily broke lol, back on track now).

Familiar first ever run teething issues 2017 found that the remote control fuel shut off was too small and a dumb thing blocked fuel tank vent in 2018 limited speeds but it eventually went 101mph/160kph straight as an arrow half throttle 4th gear.

2019 we had a Fuel Rule change explain next time.

Pete

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Nice streamliner frame, hardtail too!

Gonna try and shoehorn a 600cc motor into that frame?

Hey Tary

No that is not designed for a 4 cylinder engine. That is a Open (no Aero) Special Construction - A - Fuel - F - 250cc Class Bike

ok the DLRA Classes or based on a number of things:

First is the Engine Class you can choose from.

Fuel and Induction type Engine size, technology or era.

Engine Sizes from 50cc up to 3000cc and Unlimited. a CBR600RR would run in 650cc class.

Fuel type: Gas Class - G for Petrol/Gasoline (fuel testing required) and Fuel Class - F anything else. Methanol etc (no fuel testing)

Engine Technology or Era:

Production: No visible external Modifications of any sort are allowed ( no restrictions on internals apart from capacity within Class limits, so a 636 cc Big Bore Kit is legal for a CBR600RR)

Post 1986 Any Bikes/Engine are simply Gas or Fuel (Blown if applicable).

Pushrod Engine Class any Pushrod Engine. (no age limit)

Classic Engine Class From Jan 1st 1957 - Dec 31st 1986 Carby/Aircooled OHC or 2 Stroke Engines (no pushrod) - C

Vintage Engine Class: Pre 1956 (cutoff Dec 31st 1956 ) Period Technology only.- V

Induction: Normally Aspirated; Carburetor and EFI Classes (simply the G or F ) and Blown Class: - B - Forced Induction. Supercharged/Turbo etc.

The Engine Class for a everyday CBR600RR on Premium Petrol/Gasoline with a visible piggyback ecu and aftermarket Pipe would be Modified Gas 650: MG - 650, or a Turbo Methanol engined CBR would be Modified Blown Fuel 650: MBF - 650.

I'll leave it there

and do these others next time

Chassis design: Production, Modified, Special Construction, Sidecar and Trike.

Aerodynamics. Open (no Aero), Partial Streamlined and Streamliner.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
It's like the salt lake stuff here, a multitude of classes.

What is local record for a cbr600rr in stock fairing trim?

How about in a streamliner?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts