Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So i took my bike into the Honda dealer for a quick free checkup(they are awesome) because my battery had died twice while out on a ride. He came back to me and told me everything was perfectly fine. Then he asked me how i was riding both times it died. I told him that both times i was riding super easy due to a novice with me. He then told me news i didn't expect to hear. He told me my solution is to ride harder and higher rpms. Apparently the alternator kicks in and starts recharging the battery at higher rpms instead of low. Now im new to the supersport somewhat. I have ridden dirtbikes all my life, cruiser, then sv6550. Can anyone confirm that this is 100% true? Also how hard is too hard on the rpms. He said that i can ride it at 15 all day. Also i live in Texas where currently its almost unbearable to ride due to the extreme heat and humidity, how hot should my bike be getting?

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
i know from having a 600rr (2004) on the track all day running at red line, they will do it, however, anything above 4000rmp should be plenty to charge your battery.

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
I live in Austin and my bikes both idle around 220-225 sitting still when it's 100+ outside. If you're riding normally with the RPM's at 4K and up it should have no problem charging.

As far as high RPM's and hurting the motor, don't sweat it. My track bike runs between 12 and 15K pretty much 100% of the time and loves it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in Austin and my bikes both idle around 220-225 sitting still when it's 100+ outside. If you're riding normally with the RPM's at 4K and up it should have no problem charging.

As far as high RPM's and hurting the motor, don't sweat it. My track bike runs between 12 and 15K pretty much 100% of the time and loves it.
My bike has sometimes gotten a little hotter than that. Is there something i should check or any tips to keep it cooler?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
My bike has sometimes gotten a little hotter than that. Is there something i should check or any tips to keep it cooler?

Pending how long it has been since the coolant system has been flushed, you could try that. Does the fan kick on at 220?

·
Registered
754 Posts
First off lets deal with the core question about your charging system. Your dealer sounds like a quack to me. Are you running a mostly stock set-up as far as electrical drain goes? If so you don't need to run the piss out of the bike for it to maintain the battery so that when you stop for gas and food it will restart. My bike gets treated like Ms Daisy and I have never had battery issues and that includes leaving led's on for several hours while eating. Your bike is a machine it doesnt love 15,000 rpms it could care less!

·
BOTM Winner 07/12
1,714 Posts
I'd have to call BS on the ride harder thing. Otherwise every time someone let their bike idle for any length of time it would die.

Honda isn't going to make a bike that cant charge it own system at idle. Were talking about a 12v system, it doesn't take anything to charge that.

As stated above heat may be killing your battery, or your rectifier may be crapping out.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
:+1: on the B.S. Considering your mechanic said "alternator" hes an idiot. No wonder its free. You may have a charging issue but its certainly not due to low RPM's.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Yeah BS

I always ride in the lowest gear possible, when I'm not riding hard, which is 95 percent of the time.

See to it that your battery terminals are clean (non oxidized, sand if need be) and properly secured. Your battery and/or charging system may be going to crap.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
darn... Wasn't hoping to hear some of this. But get this. I hit a huge(i mean huge) pothole at night and it really messed my rim up. That was the night just before my battery went dead the first time. Could that have had anything to do with it? knocked anything lose?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
darn... Wasn't hoping to hear some of this. But get this. I hit a huge(i mean huge) pothole at night and it really messed my rim up. That was the night just before my battery went dead the first time. Could that have had anything to do with it? knocked anything lose?
Front or back? Only if something was already loose.

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
I'd have to call BS on the ride harder thing. Otherwise every time someone let their bike idle for any length of time it would die.

Honda isn't going to make a bike that cant charge it own system at idle. Were talking about a 12v system, it doesn't take anything to charge that.

As stated above heat may be killing your battery, or your rectifier may be crapping out.
It won't charge at idle, but it will during normal commuting. I've verified this with a meter.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Front or back? Only if something was already loose.
Front. Im going to keep riding and keep checking. They did a needle on it and everything and i saw with my eyes it was in perfect shape. But it seems sometimes when im out and turn it off at a gas station it will sound weak when starting back up.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
It won't charge at idle, but it will during normal commuting. I've verified this with a meter.
Spot on any thing below 5k I believe it is , is not fully charging the system

I am not sure where the neutral point is for the charging system tho, id guess it to be around 3.5 to 4 k any thing lower would actually be draining the system

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle App

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Spot on any thing below 5k I believe it is , is not fully charging the system

I am not sure where the neutral point is for the charging system tho, id guess it to be around 3.5 to 4 k any thing lower would actually be draining the system

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle App

thats what i figure. i pretty much always ride around or above 4G. never had a charging issue

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds about right. I was riding around 4k both times when i had troubles. First i was trying to conserve fuel due to me forgetting my wallet and with a noob rider. Second i was on back roads for Ever in second gear with another noob rider. Thx guys! Problem solved.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Are you guys serious? I commute on my bike and almost always ride below 5k (to save fuel). Is my battery not charging completely.

·
BOTM Winner 07/12
1,714 Posts
I'm still not convinced. I went out and checked with my stock battery.

Not running it reads 12.9v, running 14.4v (so the system is charging) then at 5k with the head lights connected and on it does go up to 15.4v.

In the service manual it states BV (Battery voltage)< CV (Charging voltage) < 15.5v.

It asks you to measure your voltage at 5k with a warm engine and the high beams on and tells you you should get a 15.5v reading, it doesn't say it wont charge below 5k.

Most likely its telling you this because the draw potential is higher with a warm engine and headlights so the rectifier/voltage regulator compensates by increasing the voltage.

I'm pretty sure if the system didn't charge below 5k then every time I ran my bike in my garage over winter, sometimes for 30 minutes or more, the battery should have died. Right?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts