Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pulled the trigger and got the 09 cbr in black/green. Picking it up sometime later this week. Thanks for all those who gave me input on my other thread.

I've been riding for about 6 years now, but almost exclusively on cruisers. I feel pretty good on the sport bikes, but I'm very interested in trying to find one of the sport bike courses to really get comfortable/experienced. Searching around online i only stumbled on beginner/intermediate courses and some military rider course.

I'm not interested in the parking lot courses. I was hoping to find one that has track riding, or something similar so that i can really get a feel for the bike along with some good coaching.

Any suggestions where I can find some info for one geared towards sport bikes? Also i know the beginner course gives you a discount on insurance, but is there something similar after taking the advanced one (only 22 so insurance is pretty high right now)?

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
youre probably not military, so scratch the military sportbike rider course.

if your insurance gives you a discount, then you should take some type of msf course just for that reason.

if you really wanna learn the bike, its handling, braking and power...
go to a trackday.
most trackday org's offer beginner courses where the instructors/control riders will give one on one guidance.

·
Registered
584 Posts
check out cornerspeed, they run a course at VIR which is not too far from you. It's a bit pricey but everyone I have spoken to about it has nothing but praise for the class.
Not sure if it really applies to your insurance, but it will almost certainly make you a better rider, and possibly introduce you to a new addiction.
MSF course might be more useful as far as insurance, much cheaper too, though you will certainly not get the experience of track school.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
If it's about money, something like the MSF Experienced Rider Course might interest you. It's a day long course.

Also Lee Park's Total Control may also interest you. Gear required is the same as a MSF safety course - http://www.totalcontroltraining.net/index.html

When you get into track day stuff, you are gonna need a bike setup for trackdays, leathers, boots and proper gloves. So if it's about cost, you are going to find more cost associated with Trackday schools than MSF or others.

Some schools rent gear and bikes, though if it's about learning on your bike... just keep that in mind of the things you will need to do to prepare.

Peace,

Gabe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts