Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on Thursday there was this fatal bike crash about 2 mins from my house. Some dude on a yellow/black CBR lost control of his bike on RT. 21 in NJ, hit the barrier and got thrown into the Passaic River (huge drop where it happened).

They found the body 3 hours later, but he didnt have any ID on him. They "ID'd" the body by running the plates on the bike. So they thought it was the body of a 25 yr old man from Newark. The next day the ran a story about it in the paper.

Well, today they ran an updated story in the Star Ledger. Turns out the bike owner is alive and well and the John Doe actually STOLE THE BIKE.

After investigation they determined he was doing over 100mph when they believe he hit a dip in the road (I know that area very well, when I go through it I get launched 3-4" out of my seat at 65mph) which caused him to lose control, crash straight into the shoulder barrier and catapult him over it and into the river. (About a 4 story drop at the point where the accident happened).

The theif was actually from Paterson I believe, and heading up RT 21 towards Paterson police believe (to get home and chop up the bike no doubt).

Karma is a bitch!

Here's the original story, they dont have today's update yet.....

Rider thrown into river in fatal motorcycle crash
Friday, July 16, 2004
BY KASI ADDISON
Star-Ledger Staff
A Newark man was killed yesterday along Route 21 in Belleville when his motorcycle crashed and propelled his body into the Passaic River, authorities said.

Investigators are not yet sure what caused the accident, said Belleville Police Chief Joseph Rotonda, but it appeared the man lost control of the bike, and no other vehicles were involved.

The grisly crash, which resulted in massive traffic delays, occurred at 1:15 p.m. near the Rutgers Street exit of Route 21.

Rotonda said when police arrived at the scene, they found the motorcycle, a yellow and black Honda CVR, on the roadway. Witnesses reported that the man's body flew over the highway's barrier into the river.

"It was pretty gruesome," Rotonda said.

Police said last night they believe the man was from Newark, but he has not been positively identified. He appeared to be about 25 years old.

Around 3:30 p.m., members of the Wallington Fire Department's scuba diving team found the man's body submerged 3 feet in the river along the shoreline. Rotonda said he wore a helmet.

Belleville police and the Essex County Prosecutor's Office are continuing an investigation into the cause of the accident.

As water rescue workers from neighboring towns, including Wallington, Kearny, North Arlington and Newark looked for the man along the river, a New Jersey State Police helicopter flew overhead to assist in the recovery effort.

Throughout the afternoon, authorities dealt with traffic delays that began in Newark near the entrance of the roadway, which was closed at the Grafton Avenue exit of Route 21.

Rotonda said cars were detoured off the highway to Mill Street and up to Washington Avenue.

"It's really a mess right now," he said late yesterday afternoon.

Drivers honked their horns, maneuvered out of the way of police cars and, in some cases, drove backward down the highway's on- ramps to avoid the tie-up.

The northbound lanes were closed until about 5:30 p.m.

Rotonda said during the rescue effort the first Belleville police officer on the scene, Glen Zadroga, injured his knee climbing over the riverbank barrier to look for the man. Zadroga was taken to Clara Maass Medical Center in Belleville, where he received treatment.

In an unrelated incident, Belleville police also were busy cleaning up an accident in which an asphalt truck snapped in half, spreading debris along the roadway. The accident occurred just past the Rutgers Street exit at 1:20 p.m.

Rotonda said there were no injuries, and a crane was brought in to remove the truck and debris.

V

·
0 Posts
Yikes... a good lesson for thieves out there. What goes around, comes around.

·
Registered
448 Posts
i was just over there yesterday what section of the paper is it in

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm not a bleeding heart....

Screw the dead thief... Hopefully it was a very painful and scary death!

I do have sympathy for the bike though.... RIP! You will be missed.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i got my bike stolen and personally..i hope the thief rides it and doesn't die as easily. i want him to get permanently disabled so he can suffer in life and wish he never stole something that wasn't his.

H

·
0 Posts
basic said:
21 is bad as hell with the dips, i know alot of people that almost lost it on that road due to the dips
i have never been on 21... i guess i will be avoiding that road...

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
red i agree with you man PAYBACK IS A BITCH

1 - 19 of 19 Posts