Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went by a local bike shop the other day and asked how much to replace the front brake lines on my RR. I told them i would be supplying the new lines and they still quoted me $180 just to switch my lines to Stainless steel ones. Are these prices remotely fair or am i just a cheap/poor bastard?

D

·
0 Posts
$180 to change and bleed new lines, with you supplying the new lines? Man, just do it yourself. You could probably even find someone on the forums here who will do it for a 6 pack. Hell, if I was in the area, I'd to it for a pastrami sammich on rye.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
DO IT YOURSELF- oh my god. i would also do it for like 10 bux. what's rediculous is how easy it is. in the time it took you to make this post and call the dealer, you could've been done already.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Went by a local bike shop the other day and asked how much to replace the front brake lines on my RR. I told them i would be supplying the new lines and they still quoted me $180 just to switch my lines to Stainless steel ones. Are these prices remotely fair or am i just a cheap/poor bastard?
since it should only take an hour or so for front only, $180 an hour...damn, im in the wrong buisness!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Trust me i definitely want to do it myself. I just ordered the shop manual two days ago. I went to the shop to see what they would say and if the prices were right i wouldnt have to wait. With my old r6 whenever i wanted to work on it I would just start unscrewing stuff and taking **** apart but that sometimes got me in trouble. With my honda I wanna do it right.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I wonder if sometimes the dealership doesnt jack the prices on small jobs just so they dont have to bother with them. In reality, it can be easily be done in less than 30min.
So, what are they going to make on labor only, since your suppling the parts. $30? It not worth it to them, especially since they would have to deal with any BS if you supplied low quality parts. They would probably rather have the garage space for much higher dollar repairs.

D

·
0 Posts
I wonder if sometimes the dealership doesnt jack the prices on small jobs just so they dont have to bother with them. In reality, it can be easily be done in less than 30min.
So, what are they going to make on labor only, since your suppling the parts. $30? It not worth it to them, especially since they would have to deal with any BS if you supplied low quality parts. They would probably rather have the garage space for much higher dollar repairs.
In today's economy, money is money.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if anyone can explain to me what speed bleeders are i might attempt this one ghetto style

D

·
0 Posts
They're just bleed nipples that act as a 1 way valve rather then a straight passage for bleeding. You can leave them loosened when bleeding and they will not suck air back into the system because of their design, unlike normal nipples.

When open, the fluid/air pressure will push open the ball valve and allow the air/fluid to escape, but will then close preventing air form being pulled back into the system. Normally you'd have to loosen the nipple, apply fluid pressure, close the nipple, let the lever return, then go at it again.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
they will make installing the lines a bit easier when you need to refill and bleed the system once the lines are installed (speed bleeders)

D

·
0 Posts
Hey Demented, I'm putting Galfer lines on tomorrow, where can you pick some of those speed nipples up? I'm doing it myself and that would be waaaaaaay easier
Just hit up a local bike store or autoparts store. They should have some. If not, just go to walmart and get a vacuum bleeder(hand pump model) for $5 or so.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the info on speed bleeders. i want to thank you guys for motivating me to do the job myself after i finish watching the redskins game. i will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
seen similar stuff like this but mainly a hose you clamp to the nipples and the hose has the one way check valve.. now these look nice. can you leave these installed?

They're just bleed nipples that act as a 1 way valve rather then a straight passage for bleeding. You can leave them loosened when bleeding and they will not suck air back into the system because of their design, unlike normal nipples.

When open, the fluid/air pressure will push open the ball valve and allow the air/fluid to escape, but will then close preventing air form being pulled back into the system. Normally you'd have to loosen the nipple, apply fluid pressure, close the nipple, let the lever return, then go at it again.

D

·
0 Posts
seen similar stuff like this but mainly a hose you clamp to the nipples and the hose has the one way check valve.. now these look nice. can you leave these installed?
Yeah. You just tighten them back down like you would normal bleed nipples when you're done bleeding the brakes.

·
Registered
670 Posts
thanks for the info on speed bleeders. i want to thank you guys for motivating me to do the job myself after i finish watching the redskins game. i will let you know how it goes.
You will do fine!! You have the whole 600rr Community here for help or any problems!! If I was around your area I would come help you out for free cause I just enjoy working on bykes! Its like a trade off for me... makes me happy!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for all the support. If you guys ever need help with anything i will do everything i can to help.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts