Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my first ever trackday coming up on July 30-31. Totally stoked. Been waiting for this for a while.

Its just too bad I have to do it on a shitty track like Estoril ya know?

Any last minute first timer advice? I will be with my buddy who is an experienced trackday guy but still. Words of wisdom?

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
quit rubbing it our faces damn it lol. but take it slow and don't think you have to be/are the fastest guy out there. get the feeling for the layout before you try to push it at all. other than that, have fun and don't fall!

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
Words of wisdom?
keep your ego at home!
have a control rider tow you around.
and then as you progress, have him follow you to critique you.

drink water and eat bananas starting a week prior til the day of your trackday.
hydrating a day or two before will not help keep your body hydrated for that day.
bring plenty of water, gatorade or equivalent and try to stay in the shade.
in between sessions, take off your boots to cool your feet.
during lunch, take off your leathers to allow your body to refresh itself.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
keep your ego at home!

hydrating a day or two before will not help keep your body hydrated for that day.
:+1:

Great suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
6,497 Posts
keep your ego at home!

I will add a little to the above:

If they offer classroom sessions from the instructors to help learn the lines, take advantage of them.

Have fun, soak in the information/tips other riders give you at the track.

Look where you want to go, keep your head looking thru the turn.

Enjoy yourself and don't think too much about anything but, throttle, brake, picking a decent line, and looking ahead. Key do being a good trackday rider is being predictable. Have good predictable lines and stick to them.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will add a little to the above:

If they offer classroom sessions from the instructors to help learn the lines, take advantage of them.

Have fun, soak in the information/tips other riders give you at the track.

Look where you want to go, keep your head looking thru the turn.

Enjoy yourself and don't think too much about anything but, throttle, brake, picking a decent line, and looking ahead. Key do being a good trackday rider is being predictable. Have good predictable lines and stick to them.
Thanks guys. Unfortunately they dont have an english rider coach at this trackday. I think they might have an instructor, however I dont speak a lick of Portuguese and my Spanish doesnt extend past ordering at Taco Bell.

However I am of course in the Beginners group. And my friend that I am going with has been doing trackdays in Europe for about two years now, so he will be a pretty good coach. He said hes gonna talk to the coordinator and see if they will let him ride down a group so that he can tow me for a session or two then switch off to observe me and give me pointers.

Down to 5 days now! Starting to get nervous!

·
Super Moderator
6,497 Posts
That will help you a lot, but remember this is all a learning experience.

IMO don't worry too much about the body position too much or trying to get your knee down etc. Just learn the lines, and nail the apex of every turn.

Also, bring some rain gear. If it rains, don't be a puss and bish out. IMHO rain trackdays are the best. They force you to go slow which requires you to be very smooth with your inputs.

·
Registered
14,368 Posts
Wet towel around your neck between sessions if it's hot works WONDERS. 2 or 3 days of hydrating is plenty, I do it all the time. Then again I work out 5 days a week so I'm ALWAYS properly hydrated.

Get fit, and serious about health and endurance. It will make your entire life better.

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
2-3 days of hydrating is good if youve already been hydrating normally.
most people do not drink the recommended amount of water per day.
so if not, it will not be enough for an all day event. especially if its in the heat.

i agree with getting in shape. i work out/lift weights 5 days a week, and run/cardio 3 days a week (mon/weds/fri).
anywhere from 3 - 6 mi's depending how i feel and how much time i have for my lunch break.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man down! Decided to crash test all my new gear yesterday. Washed out the front in turn 4. Left side of bike is done. Left clipon is snapped. We were able to scrap together parts and I'm back out there. Bikes pretty rough looking but I'm fine and I'm having the most fun I have ever had. A trackday bile was born yesterday.

Stay tuned for pictures and the "I'm a dumbass who wrecked my street bike at the track and am now selling all my street parts thread"

·
Registered
324 Posts
That sucks... My buddy wrecked towards the end of the day the first time he went to the track... And you're not a dumbass, you were on a track. At least you didn't go down on a street and get hit by a car or something worse... Can't wait to see pics. :)

Sent from my iPwn 4

·
T. BOTM Winner 10/11
4,508 Posts
good thing you at least got to finish out the day. how early on did you wreck?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wrecked saturday in the last session. Stayed at the track until about 10 getting her ready for the next day. Rode the whole next day, and even posted my best time

I learned a very expensive lesson on using body position to reduce lean angle.

....but i learned it.

Tons of pics to come!

·
T. BOTM Winner 10/11
4,508 Posts
what a beautiful track

·
Registered
615 Posts
not bad for first time, got a dampner? if not you should get one.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Definately awesome track. Love the way the second half of it flows.

@NMBR1SPT Just the HESD stock on 08. I def felt it kick in almost every time coming out of T6. Replacing HESD with a standard dampner is def on the list of stuff to do, but after brakes and suspension. I think its pretty adequate for my level right now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts