Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be going on a trip in a month or so.. I'm looking for suggestions for good roads in the area, places to stay at night, and how many days I should stick around the area (max being 5, not including days spent riding from/to NJ) etc

thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts
Possibly go with us, we are renting a trailer that can accomodate 6 bikes, taking a truck to pull it and following in a 5 seat sedan. Thus eliminating the 800+ miles of highway to get there and in the worst case of a wreck or break down, no one would be faced with huge towing/repair bills. We havent picked the weekend yet, but would most likely do a Thurs-Sunday trip.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possibly go with us, we are renting a trailer that can accomodate 6 bikes, taking a truck to pull it and following in a 5 seat sedan. Thus eliminating the 800+ miles of highway to get there and in the worst case of a wreck or break down, no one would be faced with huge towing/repair bills. We havent picked the weekend yet, but would most likely do a Thurs-Sunday trip.
Thanks for the offer, but I'd prefer to ride down. Last year I went on a 1300 mile trip with a buddy to Canada, this will be significantly longer I think but I'm willing to risk it.. I'm planning on doing quite a bit of maintenance before leaving LOL

My trip will be sometime between Aug 28 - Sept 6. I could meet up with you guys (or anyone) when I'm down there though.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Deals Ga isa great ride. IMHO i wouldnt stay there any longerthan 2 to three days great resturaunt on th gap. be careful state police are cracking down on bikes on the gap due to so many wrecks and deaths. i got pulled over for doing 7 over (well 7 over by the time he clocked me lol). like i said great ride but theirs not muchto it. definently worth the trip tho. have fun and be safe bro!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the links. I definitely have plenty of roads to hit now, it looks like I'll only need to spend 4-5 hrs on highways before hitting twisties.. not too bad at all. Is it hard to find motels in that area? I'm not really big on planning ahead (except for the general route I'll be taking).. I'd rather just ride around and hunt for a motel when I feel like sleeping hahah

·
Registered
324 Posts
When I went I didn't make any plans because I didn't know how long the twisties would take. Some roads that look short on the map took a long time due to all of the turns. I printed out a map that was a little better than the one in the link and carried it with me so I could check it out from time to time. Also, I found 2 or 3 motels around the area and wrote down their name, address, and phone number in case the ones that I came across were full. I went on a weekend (fri/sat) and the first motel (1st night) and campground (2nd night, got a cabin) that I stayed at had rooms available. I would try and find a few in the area first, there are a lot down there but sometimes hard to find in the dark.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Alright thanks.

One more important question... what about any good bars or strip joints :all_cohol:all_cohol:toothy4: or is that area part of the bible belt

·
The Asian Persuasion
28,564 Posts
There is no good ones in the area. But go down south another 3hrs or so to ATL and you have the best joints in the country!!!

I'm 1.5hrs from Deals Gap.
Recommending going Sun-Wed...less cops in the area.

Your Suby is ugly, bugeye FTW :)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
There is no good ones in the area. But go down south another 3hrs or so to ATL and you have the best joints in the country!!!

I'm 1.5hrs from Deals Gap.
Recommending going Sun-Wed...less cops in the area.

Your Suby is ugly, bugeye FTW :)
I'm thinkin 2 days travel to get down to the gap and 2 days in the area then just highway back.. I was planning a Mon-Thurs + Fri traveling back but you think I should move that ahead a day?

PS hell yeah it's ugly, vageye ftw :icon_lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not sure how much riding you want to do, but when I rode the gap, I stayed in Pigeon Forge so that I could get alcohol, and have stuff to do at night. It is a bit of a ride over to Deals Gap from Pigeon Forge, but an awesome ride. I think it is redlight 3 or 4, make a right, and you are on tight twisties for an hour and some change, and the directions to get there are simple. You come out on US 129 (the road that the Gap is on) about 1/4 of a mile before the start, so you don't have to worry about THP stopping you, since you can run the speed limit which I think is 25 now, for the 1/4 mile without being completely miserable.

As far as other roads, I do not remember the name of the 2 you hit if you stay in Pigeon Forge, but they are nice, as is the Cherohala highway. The Cherohala is an awesome ride, and something different from the slow, and tight curves of the gap. Imagine 100mph+ sweepers that just never end, and you have the Cherohala.

If you stay on the gap, or near it, you will not have anything to do after dark, since it is Deliverance country when the sun sets, but you will be able to literally leave the parking lot & be on the road.

Also, on the cops, I never saw them on the actual 11 mile run that is Deals Gap. I saw 3 sitting on a pull off by the lake right before you start the run. It is too tight, and there is no place for them to sit along the road, since the photographers get there early & take them all. Though that doesn't mean they won't be there when you run through.

Either way, good luck. It is a cool section of road, but I personally do not think it is all that it is made out to be.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Not sure how much riding you want to do, but when I rode the gap, I stayed in Pigeon Forge so that I could get alcohol, and have stuff to do at night. It is a bit of a ride over to Deals Gap from Pigeon Forge, but an awesome ride. I think it is redlight 3 or 4, make a right, and you are on tight twisties for an hour and some change, and the directions to get there are simple. You come out on US 129 (the road that the Gap is on) about 1/4 of a mile before the start, so you don't have to worry about THP stopping you, since you can run the speed limit which I think is 25 now, for the 1/4 mile without being completely miserable.
Nice, did you stay at a motel there or something in Pigeon Forge? I wanna find a place that's like a bar/hotel so one night I can get **** faced and spend half the next day recovering :icon_lol:

I certainly wouldn't mind staying away from the gap, I'll probably only ride that stretch of road one morning out of the whole trip.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah I just got a typical hotel, a Days Inn that is in pigeon forge. I am not sure if there are bars in one of the hotels, a quick google search found nothing on that. I know you can buy beer around there. I bought a case and just stuffed it in a backpack & rode back to the hotel. There is a lots of typical tourist crap, gokarts, skydiving tunnel thing, and all kinds of crap. You can walk pretty much everywhere there, so if you didnt find a hotel/bar combo, you could most likely walk to the bar, and back if you can find one.

I know you can buy beer at a store, but I do not recall any bars. Google search says there are several, but I am not sure. It might be that you can buy beer but not liquor. I cannot remember if the restaurants had liquor or not. Definitely check before, might have to drop stuff off at the hotel & run back to the store for a case or so.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Definitely take half a day to shoot down thru Sylva down to Cashiers
then turn left towards Brevard. Nice road with plenty of curves.
Sylva down to Cashiers is really nice cause you parallel a river pretty
much the whole way down. Definitely spent some time riding thru the
Smokie Mtn's too. Just buy a map & explore cause Western North Carolina
is filled with nice roads off the beaten path.

:tard:

·
Registered
83 Posts
there is a road that you can pick up near the dragon that goes south into Franklin, N.C. i believe the road number is 33 but i can not remember for certain. i thought that it was more fun than the dragon.

·
The Asian Persuasion
28,564 Posts
As far as other roads, I do not remember the name of the 2 you hit if you stay in Pigeon Forge, but they are nice, as is the Cherohala highway. The Cherohala is an awesome ride, and something different from the slow, and tight curves of the gap. Imagine 100mph+ sweepers that just never end, and you have the Cherohala.
^That's more fun to ride than 129 IMO. I love fast sweepers!!!

There's plenty of hotels you can check out in the Gatlingburg/Pigeon Forge area.

·
Registered
133 Posts
as others have said ride the skyway. as far as bars/strip joints maryville is close. if you stay around springbrook you can walk to tx road house, puelo's, and other eateries. closest strip club is on alcoa hwy approx 10 mins from maryville. name is bambi's i think.
ride devil's triange, hwy 116. ride to duck town, tn on 68 to 64 to 30 (count those curves) to 315 to 39 back to cherohala skyway. i'll ride with ya anytime. if you need anything while your here don't hesitate to call jeff 865-300-4876

look up dave www.us129photos.com

and big al with www.moonshinephoto.com/dragon.html

both great guys and will hook you up with pics. ...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts