Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding for a while out on the East coast but just recently i was in California just north of San Diego and i saw a bunch of people riding around with those flourecent orange road worker vests. I am guessing they wear them so they can be seen easier but i have never seen it out here on the east coast. Is this a law out there or what?

V

·
0 Posts
I think it is something with the military that you have to wear them... could just be safety counscious people too.. nothing wrong with that. ;-)

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Yep that would be military. I'm surprised they don't take em off though when they are away from the base.

·
Registered
53 Posts
cbrsexrr said:
Yeah pretty stupid in my opinion, which is why I barely ride on base anymore.

I don't know how it is stupid... It may clash with your cool riding gear, but that is the point. I'd rather be seen than under someones tire.

No, you won't see me wearing one (I am not specifically going to go out and buy one), but it is DEFIANTLY not because I think it is stupid!

·
Registered
314 Posts
In the military it is a requirement if you want to ride on base. There is actually a lot more to it than that. You have to wear gloves, helmet, eye protection (if you don't have a full face helmet), long sleeved shirt and pants, and steel toed boots that go over your ankles. You must also have a MSF course to get your decal to even get on base. I heard that the order just changed to where instead of wearing the vest all that you have to have is brightly colored clothing. I haven't seen the order yet though so I'm not sure if that is true.

·
Registered
874 Posts
The vest requirement depends upon the installation. In the Air Force, it is all driven by your base supplement to AFI 31-204 (Security Forces Reg). Have not been to a base yet that said you had to wear that vest, it tells you that during the day, the colors have to be brightly colored and contrasting. At night is when the vests come in. Many riders will wear the vests during the day because it is the easiet thing to do. If you have a black jacket, it is easier to throw the vest on to get onto base. As for deciding not to ride on base just for that reason, I think that is ridiculous. I know it is not the best looking thing, but to stop riding because you dont want to put it on to get through the gate is crazy in my opinion.
Adamsky27 was right about the gear too...For military, that is on or off base. The AF is not required to wear steel toed boots, but again, each base can make the rules more stringent, not less. But all of this is actually driven by Department of Defense (DoD) requirements that apply to all services. The reason the rles are the way they are are simple. In Fiscl Year 02, the Air Force lost 6 motorcycle riders. FY 03 we lost 24. This year we are already at 9 with the most time frame of concern comes in....between memorial Day and Labor Day.
I know that the military puts a lot of pressure on us riders....But if you were to look at the stats, most of the riders were either inexperienced, speeding, or lacking proper gear when they were killed. And yes, some of the fatalities were caused by other drivers, not the rider.

·
Registered
294 Posts
M3NTAL said:
cbrsexrr said:
Yeah pretty stupid in my opinion, which is why I barely ride on base anymore.

I don't know how it is stupid... It may clash with your cool riding gear, but that is the point. I'd rather be seen than under someones tire.

No, you won't see me wearing one (I am not specifically going to go out and buy one), but it is DEFIANTLY not because I think it is stupid!
+1

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
What's stupid is that I have to wear a vest no matter what to ride on base when all of my "cool riding gear" is allready reflective and colorful. They make you wear a vest, yet you can still ride with a regular long sleeve shirt and cloth gloves, a half helmet and high top sneekers as long as they come up over your ankles. Some marine on this site said that his base won't let him wear a riding jacket while in uniform, he had to have his BDU shirt on... The rules aren't very thought out which is why it is my opinion that they are stupid. :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
cbrsexrr said:
Some marine on this site said that his base won't let him wear a riding jacket while in uniform, he had to have his BDU shirt on...
That is true, if you were to put a jacket on over your uniform you would be "out of uniform," which definitely is not allowed. I've been active duty USMC for almost 7 years now, I guess I'm just used to the rules by now.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Adam..If you are Air Force, take a look at the base supplement to AFI 31-204. The one here at Wright-Patt tells you what colors you can wear. That way I can wear my yellow jacket during the day, but will wear the vest at night...
Most of the time the problem with the gate guards is that they are not aware of their own regulations. I used to have a copy of 31-204 in my bag.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
"Most of the time the problem with the gate guards is that they are not aware of their own regulations." Unfortunately this is all to true! Especially at my base where all the gate toads are brand new Airmen with no clue about anything, all they know is that they have to salute blue stickers and be polite to the yellow and green ones. LOL But hey that's life in the military...

·
Registered
874 Posts
LOL.....But you also have the times like we do when we get Army reservists...But the problem comes from the top. They think it is easier to just tell the troops to tell us to wear a vest, versus knowing the different rules...And dont even start in on the "sturdy footwear" issue...LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts