Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a discussion with some friends at work today on whether or not safety gear for motorcycles should be tax free. I live in Vancouver, Canada, and tax here is 12% on what is already fairly high prices. Personally I think it would be an excellent incentive for those individuals who would rather wear street clothes than fork out a couple of extra dollars for good gear. It may also save taxpayers quite a bit in the long run if it helps to keep people out of the hospital.

I'm just trying to get a feel for whether or not there are any other provinces, states, countries where riders are able to purchase riding gear without having to pay tax on it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ordering online is tax free :)

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
That it is! However I guess my point is more in line with the idea that a lot of work-related safety gear is eligible for tax exemption because it prevents people from getting injured on the job. Similarly riding gear can obviously prevent riders from getting seriously injured in the event of an accident. I guess this is more of a concern in areas with a higher tax rate. Up in BC for example, tax on a high end helmet will run someone an extra $50-100 give or take - which in many cases can lead to someone choosing a lower quality lid. In a country where healthcare is heavily financed by the government (taxpayers) would it not be reasonable to offer an incentive to riders that puts them in a position which may ultimately keep them out of the hospital?

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
crash277, Thanks for the heads up! Hopefully I'll be able to ride out and find myself a new helmet ;)

shoot me a PM. im most likely heading from ottawa to kingston to GP to Royal next wensday. i will be taking my couch (vulcan nomad) for the trip and leaving my aprilia at home

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem with that is working is a necessity. Riding a bike isn't. So from a industry perspective this will never happen
posting on the go
That can go two ways. Is riding a necessity? It certainly can be if you're using your bike as a commuting vehicle.

One might argue that you should "drive a car instead of a motorcycle," but then I could just as easily argue that you should "get a job that doesn't need safety gear." It's a bit of a circular argument. Of course work is a necessity, but nobody is forcing you to work in an industry that would require you to wear a hardhat or steel-toed boots, just like GETTING TO WORK is a necessity, but no one is forcing you to ride a bike instead of a car. If you're going to provide tax exemption for one, why not the other?

In fact there are a number of arguments as to why people SHOULD be riding as a means of getting to work. But I think that's a topic for a different discussion.

As far as an "industry perspective" is concerned I definitely agree with you that if there is money to be made on taxation, why cut it out? What benefit would tax exemption have to those that profit from taxation. In BC, where I live, the body that reaps the rewards from taxation is the same that pays millions a year to treat riders who end up in the hospital (Federal and Provincial Government). My point is that if providing tax exemptions means more riders are able to afford better quality gear, maybe the money that is lost from taxation will be made up in hospital bills? Whether or not this is true I've got no idea. Either way it does stand to argue that from an industry perspective this actually COULD work. In addition it could also mean greater profits for local dealerships, as more money would be put back into the system (Greater GDP) instead of going out of country as with most online orders.

If you look at different places around the world you will see tax exemptions for a wide variety of things. Not just work related gear. What I was trying to see with this thread was whether or not there is anyone here that lives in an area in which riding gear is tax exempt.

Having said that I do appreciate the arguments! Keep 'em coming!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts