Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how u guys feel about riding in the rain or right after a rain where the road is still wet. Im new to riding on the street and wondered if you had any tips or if you would advise waiting for it to dry up. thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just go easier, there's no nuclear science for rain driving :)

- drive in higher gear
- don't power up too much when exiting corner
- avoid driving on asphalt (or is it tarmac?) lines
- easy on brakes and brake earlier
- in general, trust your instincts
- if it's longer trip get rain suit
- don't try to drag knee or elbow :crackup:

·
Registered
501 Posts
just keep the front wheel straight and give yourself plenty of room to stop other than that its not that scary.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Riding in the rain can be a great experience and will make you a better rider. I have spent a lot of time riding in the rain since I live in the Seattle area and I ride year around and I will tell you, it has made me a lot better rider than my friends who won't ride in the rain. It teaches you how to control the bike when you have less traction. You will be able to take those skills to the dry when your really pushing the bike and your on the edge of control.

When riding in the rain take a few things into consideration. First understand you can't lean as hard. (you would be surprised how hard you can lean though) Second you can't get on the throttle nearly as hard. This is really important in first gear. Its not hard to get the bike sideways in the rain with the amount of power the cbr has. Third watch out for white lines. They can be like ice when its wet. Lastly keep in mind your breaking distance will increase when its wet.

Also get yourself a one piece rain suit. I rode 2 years in the rain without one. Then I finally got one and I will always have one. It makes all the difference. With the suit, I don't even care about riding in the rain. I just have a summer riding jacket that I wear underneath it and I stay dry and warm. There is no need for a winter jacket with a rain suit. I will sometimes wear the suit when its dry but cold, just because it cuts down on the wind.

Don't let a little water scare you away. Your still riding a cbr, so its still going to be fun!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
:+1:

Awesome post s10SAS. Couldn't have said it better myself. Being from Houston, we would get plenty of rain as well and it really does make you a better rider.

I also agree, get some form of wet weather gear. You would be surprised how small you could roll a set of Frog Toggs. I typically keep them under my rear seat for an emergency, though that was on the 900. It will be a bit more challenging on the 600..lol.

I remember a incident that happen one weekend where I was coming home after teaching a class and I was in a rush because it just started raining about 15min. away from home and I forgot to put my laptop in a trash bag within my backpack that day. I was concern the laptop was going to be damaged and I was trying to make it home a bit faster than usual. Well, within that 15min it began pouring hard and rather than wait at a light to turn down my street, I cut through a Walgreen's parking lot. When turning left onto my street, I got sideways...lol. I didn't panic, I just went with it and saved it. I was more pissed that I wasn't practicing what I preached at school that day.

I got home and the laptop ended up being fine as the backpack resisted the water pretty well. A couple hind sight thoughts went through my mind. 1) The laptop wasn't worth my personal safety 2) Risking damage to my bike wasn't worth it and 3) The main reason, risking injury to myself was so not worth it.

Lesson learned: Be prepared...lol.

Never been an issue since that day.

Peace,

Gabe

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks, ctekguy.

One other thing. If you do a lot of rain riding get some good tires. The OEM tires are junk in the rain. I just recently went to Pilot Powers 2ct's and they are the sh*t in the rain. With the old tires the bike would pitch sideways in the rain in second gear. With the 2ct's that doesn't happen, they just stick like glue. You also can lean pretty hard with no problems with the 2ct's.

·
Registered
19 Posts
yea i agree with all of these replies. just keep it slow and use common sence. but you would be suprised to how much grip the tires still have, ridding in the rain isn't as bad as some would lead you to believe.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I ride in the rain all the time, and there has only been once that i turned around and went home. i would say along with all the posts above make sure you keep confidence in your bike, don't get nervous cause thats when things start going bad. Use smart throttle control, if you feel you rear slipping, roll off the throttle. Keep it slower speeds, hydroplaning feels weird and if you feel it slow down. And watch out for cages. It usually goes that when it starts raining, people forget how to drive. And i know its' allready been said, but be careful when riding over paint and white lines, that $#!t is slick, it's veryy similar to riding on ice. Stay away from the oil strip on the center of the lane if it has just started raining. After awhile its ok to ride on, but when it first rains it brings out the oil and its not quite saturated, this too can be slick, not like the paint though. just ride smart, dont push your limits.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Hell I rode 450 miles in pouring down rain, 40 mph wind gusts, and around 40 degree temperatures. It can be done, just take it easy!

On roads that look especially slick, I put my foot down to feel how slick it really is and ride accordingly. Some of the freshly paved roads around here are like ICE when wet. But the tires can still get surprisingly good traction.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Riding in the rain can be a great experience and will make you a better rider ... it has made me a lot better rider than my friends who won't ride in the rain. It teaches you how to control the bike when you have less traction. You will be able to take those skills to the dry when your really pushing the bike and your on the edge of control.
15 years of riding dirt bikes in southern California & the deserts of Nevada, to the mountains in Utah prior to moving to the street gave me all the "oh ****" subconscious response ability I need for those types of situations. I can't even count how many times that has saved my skin (or rather, my fairings). I'm definitely not saying that dirt bikes has prepared me for street riding, but it has definitely given me an edge for the oh **** situations where most people would just drop/lay down their bike, or slam into a curb, etc...

I don't ride in the rain simply because water never touches my bike. Ever. With the exception of rinsing the wheel cleaner off of my wheels every few weeks when I clean them. QuikDetail and whichever wax I feel like using at the moment are the only things I use to clean my bike (not including brake/contact cleaner, chain cleaner, simple green etc...). Proof of my results can be seen by clicking the (1) next to Images below my post count. That is my previous 1995 Kawi EX250 that is cleaner than most 07s I've seen. No one ever believes it's a '95. (Picture was taken about a month ago). My bike(s) are my babies, and I do my best to take damn good care of them. Can they be ridden in the rain? Sure. But I learned of the waterless cleaning method from a guy that owns an authentic Shelby Cobra. Yes, the million dollar version.

I shouldn't have to bother with the practical aspects of driving in a car while raining. But here are some:
-Oh look, I'm bone dry when I arrive at my destination! Someone said they have a rain suit. Brilliant! Where do you heap that soaking mess when you get to your destination?
-Cagers are blind enough to motorcyclists during broad daylight as it is. Not to mention many don't even know how to drive in the rain (ESPECIALLY in southern california where I live). Riding a motorcycle is dangerous enough, why go out of your way to risk your well being even further? A lot of the responses here just seem like you guys are trying to act macho instead of acting smart. If a motorcycle is your only means of transportation, then I feel for you. But if you are lucky enough to have an alternate means of transportation to use in the rain, and you think you're too cool not to use it, then I have this icon for you :retard:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Make sure your gear is waterproof. I have a GoreTex Dianese jacket; my Fieldsheer overpants, TourMaster gloves and AlpineStar GoreTex boots are also waterproof. Helmet does not fog up.

That GoreTex stuff is the bomb! I was bone dry even after a 30-minute thunderstorm downpour (happened when I was riding across good ol' USA last summer).

Bart

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I don't ride in the rain simply because water never touches my bike. Ever. With the exception of rinsing the wheel cleaner off of my wheels every few weeks when I clean them. QuikDetail and whichever wax I feel like using at the moment are the only things I use to clean my bike (not including brake/contact cleaner, chain cleaner, simple green etc...). Proof of my results can be seen by clicking the (1) next to Images below my post count. That is my previous 1995 Kawi EX250 that is cleaner than most 07s I've seen. No one ever believes it's a '95. (Picture was taken about a month ago). My bike(s) are my babies, and I do my best to take damn good care of them. Can they be ridden in the rain? Sure. But I learned of the waterless cleaning method from a guy that owns an authentic Shelby Cobra. Yes, the million dollar version.

I shouldn't have to bother with the practical aspects of driving in a car while raining. But here are some:
-Oh look, I'm bone dry when I arrive at my destination! Someone said they have a rain suit. Brilliant! Where do you heap that soaking mess when you get to your destination?
-Cagers are blind enough to motorcyclists during broad daylight as it is. Not to mention many don't even know how to drive in the rain (ESPECIALLY in southern california where I live). Riding a motorcycle is dangerous enough, why go out of your way to risk your well being even further? A lot of the responses here just seem like you guys are trying to act macho instead of acting smart. If a motorcycle is your only means of transportation, then I feel for you. But if you are lucky enough to have an alternate means of transportation to use in the rain, and you think you're too cool not to use it, then I have this icon for you :retard:
Sound like most Harley Riders I've met...lol. And I understand why because all of that chrome is a pain in the [email protected]# to clean.

I'm an MSF instructor, so it would be pretty lame for a student to have an instructor tell them riding in the rain is no big deal when they roll up in a truck or car. At least in my eyes. So if it is raining on day 1 of a two day, I ride on day one and bring the truck on day two with a change of clothes for after.

As a test rider, I had to ride regardless of conditions.

I love to ride regardless. I don't like being wet, which is why I invest in proper riding gear just like I do for keeping myself warm when it's cold. I don't let something like weather get in the way of me riding.

Just like I don't stay at home just because AZ has the second highest kidnapping rate in the WORLD. Much like I don't stay indoors because AZ is an open/carry state.

To each his own. Don't believe anyones responses have been macho'ism at all. In my opinion, it's all been good info/advice. Painted lines suck, Hydroplaning sucks, cagers suck, though some of us choose to deal with it our own ways. If you are going to be out in the elements, best to know what to look for or consider.

It's why we read books or study history, so we avoid the mistakes others have made before us.

Just my $.02

Peace,

Gabe

·
Registered
72 Posts
^ or maybe some people just like riding more than you do. idk
:+1:

I have a big a** smile on my face every time I ride. raining or not.

As far as the rain suit goes, mine folds into itself. Compacting it into a really small bag.

I have 9000 miles on my CBR and when I waxed it recently I had two people asked if it was brand new. They couldn't believe how clean it was. Just because water touches my bike doesn't mean it can't be kept clean.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd only add that it helps to wait fifteen minutes to half an hour after it starts raining before hitting the blacktop.

It takes that long for the rain to wash crap off the road that collects there. Once that initial wash happens, the road's less slick.

·
Registered
733 Posts
i am new to riding, so my advice would be more general. I just know from normal driving, that the most dangerous time of driving in the rain is right at the beginning, when the first drops just starting to hit the road surface, mixing with dust and dirt of the road, creating more slippery conditions then after more water rains down and washes all that away.

·
Registered
130 Posts
id like to get a rain suit i have been caught in the rain dont mind it besides getting soaked if i had the gear id have no problem

·
Registered
136 Posts
Im with you I need a rain suit bad, I got stuck in the rain just outside Atlanta which is 90 miles from my house. it wasnt just regular rain either it was the blinding kind of rain, i told myself if i survived that trip i wouldnt ever do it again. dont get me wrong i still like riding in the rain but all of my gear is summer gear so needless to say i get soaked

1 - 20 of 25 Posts