Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for all you experienced riders out there.
Who would be willing to help out a new rider? I know there is a lot to it but I have seen to many people go down this summer and don't want to be next. I have been on two group rides and neither one of them made it 5 miles before crashing. I would love to do a school and it is definately on my christmas list but can't afford it right now. There are some things I need to do my self but I know I could use help in other areas (probably don't even realize them). I know that practice is the key but I have always been taught that perfect practice makes perfect. Practicing the wrong things can be counter-productive. Anyway sorry for the long post just wanted to see if anyone out there felt the same way or if some wanted to help.
Jamie

V

·
0 Posts
I applaud you for asking for help and being smart about riding. You are definitely on the right route. If I lived in Ca, I would love to go riding with you. Keep up the good work and be safe.

·
Registered
419 Posts
you already sound like you're on the right course of action. thumbs up to you.

C

·
0 Posts
any time you can PM me for some basic pointers.... or we could ride sometime. Best of luck with your training!

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
Awesome, you sound like you're on the right track for sure. I suggest picking up the book Twist of the Wrist as soon as you can and give that a read, and then even if you want pick up Twist of the Wrist II ...both awesome and amazingly helpful books.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Dude, I flame people all the time for posting stupid questions about top speed, stunts, etc. This is by far the single best question ever asked by a newbie or other wise. I congratulate you on your good judgement and humility. It is not easy to admit you don't know enough and want to learn more especially in a sport like this where all too often it is about bigger, faster, better. Good luck in your pursuit. If you have any specific questions PM me. If you find yourself on the NC coast, give me a call and we'll get out and ride. BTW, the very best place to learn, whether you've got 100 miles or 100,000 miles of seat time is the track. Look for a good school and sign up for alot of track days.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the kind words everyone. I have read total control by lee parks and twist of the wrist. I am going to get totw 2 soon. I am also looking at going to one of the keith code superbike schools when I can get the money saved up.
So I guess another question for those that are not close would be what kind of "drills" did you do to get better? Or did you just ride?
Once again thanks.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
corner worker said:
Dude, I flame people all the time for posting stupid questions about top speed, stunts, etc. This is by far the single best question ever asked by a newbie or other wise. I congratulate you on your good judgement and humility. It is not easy to admit you don't know enough and want to learn more especially in a sport like this where all too often it is about bigger, faster, better. Good luck in your pursuit. If you have any specific questions PM me. If you find yourself on the NC coast, give me a call and we'll get out and ride. BTW, the very best place to learn, whether you've got 100 miles or 100,000 miles of seat time is the track. Look for a good school and sign up for alot of track days.
I agree 100%

by the way....hey conerworker....did you see that a bunch of dudes on 600rr.com think we are the same guy....go set em straigh eh!

still need to get together and ride too mang!

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Outstanding question, I hope you find some people to work with out there.
Parking lot drills are good places to learn braking and control basics. Try some drills like this:
Accelerate to 20mph and at a fixed marker point apply the brakes. Do this over and over at ever increasing speeds. 20mph, 30mph, 40mph, 50 mph – as fast as conditions allow safely. Mark each place you come to a stop, maybe with a cone or something. Then climb off the bike and look at the results. You’ll see stopping distances from those speeds and as you improve your braking habits you’ll know what to expect.

Panic swerves are always great to practice – accelerate to 25 +/- mph and make a sudden shift 4’ left or right.

Low speed maneuvering is a good drill; a lot of people drop their bikes at less than 5mph. Practice 180 degree U-turns at low speed and maybe even run S-turns through cones.

A track school will definitely help with higher speed techniques and I also suggest you do one as soon as possible. There is nothing more gratifying than the amount of knowledge you get and skill you develop at a good school. You will learn more on the track in one day than you will on the street in 6 months. Ride safe and enjoy!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
BIGBLUE said:
I have a question for all you experienced riders out there.
Who would be willing to help out a new rider? I know there is a lot to it but I have seen to many people go down this summer and don't want to be next. I have been on two group rides and neither one of them made it 5 miles before crashing. I would love to do a school and it is definately on my christmas list but can't afford it right now. There are some things I need to do my self but I know I could use help in other areas (probably don't even realize them). I know that practice is the key but I have always been taught that perfect practice makes perfect. Practicing the wrong things can be counter-productive. Anyway sorry for the long post just wanted to see if anyone out there felt the same way or if some wanted to help.
Jamie
with that attitude...you will be a great motorcyclist. You will continue to learn new things on every ride you take. and yes....practice practice practice!

·
Registered
176 Posts
BIGBLUE- You can always ride with me. i am not super experienced but i can help you out with your riding and give you pointers. if you want to we can go out riding any time. if you wanna go out today i have nothing to do until 4... i think i got your number in a PM so i will give you a call. i enjoy helping out new inexperienced riders. and if it is me showing you how to ride up in the mountains by following me then we can go up 2 the mountains. anyways, i am always up for a ride. and SDCBR600RR- any time you wanna go for a ride hit me up, i should be able to go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts