Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all! i passed my test a week and a half ago and got myself a 2003 rr..red and black..all original with only 8000 miles on the clock.
i hate to say that im worried i may have made a mistake! i have only had it 3 days but the pain im in is imense! hands wrists back...the works! even my feet! im 6 ft tall and weigh 15 stone. my feet touch the ground fine but the footpegs seem high up and i have to really force my foot up to cover the rear brake.as soon as i set out my arms and hands feel like all the weight is on em! i try and grip the tank with my knees to relieve the weight but that makes my legs ache! im concious to try and relax but nothing seems to work!
will this get better? or is this bike too small frame wise for me? my instructor had an rr and said it would be too small for me! he said an R1 would be a better fit for me but im not sure if that would be too powerfull for a noob plus i love my rr! any help and advice would be great!
thanks

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm 6' ft and 220 and I also have an 03 600rr. When I first rode the bike yes I had pain in the same places you do but after a while it becomes almost natural to you well at least for me, you'll get used to the pain to the point where its actually comfortable but again thats me. Ride the hell out of that thing and you will barely notice any pain loosen up a lil...and ride safe!!!

·
Registered
939 Posts
You could try some stomp grips and fit them to your tank. They allow you to grip the bike better with your legs as aposed to your hands, they are about 30 bucks.
The 03-06 RR lacks the comfort of the 07-. Might help to get down the gym and do some workouts to tuffen up...good luck anyway,

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Yeah, you kind of have to break in your body. My forearms/wrists ached for a few days.

About the brake pedal, if you feel that it is too high, the level engagement piston has a lock nut/adjustment nut that will change the starting position of the pedal.

·
Registered
222 Posts
im 6ft tall, 180lbs.. the only pain i had was the first day i got it.. i got a cramp in my leg.. that lasted a day.... other than that, i feel great on it... unless i ride 60+ miles in one sitting.. my butt gets a little sore.. i dont think sportbikes are comfy for long road trips.... 06 600RR

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I'm 6'0"/220 lbs....I find that if I position myself further back on the seat, it's better for me. Find the position that is best for you. Gonna repeat what you probably already know, but don't lock your arms, use your arms and hands to steer not hold your weight. Grips the tank with your knees and try what JJH007 said, get some tank grips. I personally like Stomp.
After a while, your stomach and back should get used to it which will help aleviate the stress on your wrists. Ride that thing like a hooker on a saturday night and you should be good to go...
Here's something that may help you out...
http://citybiker.wordpress.com/2007/05/21/riding-tips-finding-the-right-position/

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ride that thing like a hooker on a saturday night and you should be good to go...
LOL! :laughing1 Or a "like a rented mule", "like it's stolen" etc.

Me, I'm 6', 220lbs. also and I only have a problem w/ my right wrist, but that's from an old weight lifting issue from years ago. I too like to sit further back on the seat and lean on the tank more. USE THAT THING! It's good
for more than just holding gas. Sometimes, I'll lean over and rest my left elbow on the top of the tank. It's a nice position to cruise and my A-Stars jacket has built in elbow pads so I don't really feel the pressure from leaning either. That's only for long jonts tho. But if I'm not just "cruising", I've got that throttle PINNED, then I don't notice any fatigue. :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
78 Posts
6' 2" here and I am in the same boat as you. Best advice I can give you is put you ass up against the rear cowl as much as possible....or ride with one arm on straightaways

·
Registered
906 Posts
You mentioned that you've just passed your test - I presume that means that you haven't been riding a sport bike for a long time at all. The riding position is certainly a bit of an aquired feeling, and I'm not surprised that you struggle to position your legs so that your feet are correctly positioned. Remember that you should have the ball of your foot on the peg, and not the heel. So you're not covering the brake the whole time. Same for the left foot.

Additionally, I suggest that you adjust the levers into a position that suits you better. I (being 1.88m / 6ft2) find my bike very comfortable for town riding and mostly comfortable for longer rides too. Neck gets a bit sore every now and again from the arched back, but if I scoot backwards in the seat I can find a comfy position again.

Nothing short of a Corbin seat can stop you from getting broken arse syndrome though (mentioned just in case you want to ask about that).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys,some great advice there,ive done 140 miles in 3 days on it and im feeling better already! its an awsome bike, i love it!

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Don't hunch over. Arch your back a little bit, bend at the hips, squeeze the tank with your knees to keep the weight off your hands. It's gonna kinda suck around twon. Nature of the beast.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts