Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my gf an HJC helmet and a fieldsheer jacket. Any tips for riding with a passenger. I will be taking it very conservatively at first.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Practice in a parking lot before going anywhere.

Passengers tend to do stupid crap like they are in a cage which can throw off your balance while on the bike. Stupid things like looking and leaning opposite you and getting spooked while leaning into a corner. Pointing at objects on the opposite side of the turn has got to be a personal favorite.

Make sure you setup your suspension accordingly.

Did I mention practice in a parking lot before going anywhere?

Peace,

Gabe

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I found out the easiest way to come to a stop is to:
shift down to first, pull the clutch in, and brake with your hand so that you can come to a stop with both feet hovering the ground (you may not have to do this but I'm only 140 lbs so balancing someone is kinda hard)

other than that just remind her over and over again to lean with you!

·
Registered
83 Posts
make sure she knows how a bike turns. By leaning into the turn, I've had good friends wreck because they where leaning one way and there chick was leaning the other way. One of my friends was leaning into a turn and his passenger got nervous and grabbed his right arm and pulled back. when he was trying to make a right and they went into a curb. not fun. she also needs to get used to gripping you with her thighs... that part you should like, plus she'll get a good inner thigh work out.

·
Registered
785 Posts
i don't even have a passenger seat because i'm scared to let my gf on.

scared enough for my own life sometimes i don't want to put her in danger. maybe a few years when i get completely comfortable i will.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
make sure your passanger KNOWS how to ride...
brake early...
slow down early(let off throttle earlier than normal)...
dont be a douchebag when you have a passanger (but you already knew that)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
like mentioned above, personal favorite is when they try to look around you and end up swerving the bike or when they fidget a lot and make the bike shake some while moving, another fav...

just take it one step at a time

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
i would stay away from parking lot practice till you get used to the extra weight, a passenger makes the bike very hard to stabilize at low speeds (<10mph). i taught my gf and a couple of my friends gfs and sisters to be good passengers. tell her to put her arms around you and rest her palms flat on the tank, it gives her security by having her arms around you but also keeps her weight on her hands and off your back. at first my gf was wiggling around everytime i pulled on the brake lever, when she switched her hands to the tank it all went away.

have her read this- http://www.motorcyclesafety.state.mn.us/latest/MMSCHomeSecondary.asp?cid=5&mid=83&scat=28 - then take her for a short ride around your neighbor hood (if its not a busy city) then have her read it again.

i decided to take my gf out at night around my neighborhood cause less traffic (almost none) and figured the less she sees the better off we both are till she gets more comfortable back there.

teach her hand signals, and come up with a system to help you two communicate without talking. let her know when you are gonna turn and which direction so she can prepare her lean. teach her to keep her eyes on the road as well so she can be ready if you have to panic stop without you having to warn her.

and get ready for the head bumping, its inevitable till she figures out how heavy her helmet is.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i would stay away from parking lot practice till you get used to the extra weight, a passenger makes the bike very hard to stabilize at low speeds (<10mph). i taught my gf and a couple of my friends gfs and sisters to be good passengers. tell her to put her arms around you and rest her palms flat on the tank, it gives her security by having her arms around you but also keeps her weight on her hands and off your back. at first my gf was wiggling around everytime i pulled on the brake lever, when she switched her hands to the tank it all went away.

have her read this- http://www.motorcyclesafety.state.mn.us/latest/MMSCHomeSecondary.asp?cid=5&mid=83&scat=28 - then take her for a short ride around your neighbor hood (if its not a busy city) then have her read it again.

i decided to take my gf out at night around my neighborhood cause less traffic (almost none) and figured the less she sees the better off we both are till she gets more comfortable back there.

teach her hand signals, and come up with a system to help you two communicate without talking. let her know when you are gonna turn and which direction so she can prepare her lean. teach her to keep her eyes on the road as well so she can be ready if you have to panic stop without you having to warn her.

and get ready for the head bumping, its inevitable till she figures out how heavy her helmet is.
+1 i haven't read that article but this is right on the money!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Haha, too true. I've only taken one passenger on my bike, but she bonked my helmet at almost every stop. ;) I eventually started ducking in anticipation of it.

Some good advice here, especially the remark about using her hands on the tank and squeezing her thighs, but one additional tip: If you're a small guy like me, or your gf is kind of short, it can be hard for her to get on the bike using just the passenger pegs. I had my girl use my left footpeg as a step and then had her swing her right leg over to the right side passenger peg. It gives them a bit of a leg up on the high passenger seat and pegs if they're a little short, and the bike tips less when they're getting on.

Another thing, tell your girl to wait for your signals to get on and off. The last thing you want her doing is hopping off when you're not ready, she could really throw the weight of the bike off.

There's a good video on YouTube of an Asian dude on a white 1098 or 848 and his tiny gf. She shows off the "step" technique using his left footpeg. I can't find it here at work, but I'll try to find it when I get home.

·
Registered
135 Posts
its a pain in the ass, harder to brake/stop, slow slow turns... pain in the ass, looks good with a hott ass girl on the back tho

·
Registered
35 Posts
Depending on your riding style, I wouldn't suggest the gas tank thing... Don't want to loose them off the back. I really just have two things to tell them:

1. Hold on to me, not my jacket.

2. Look over my should in the direction we are leaning, the bike will feel like it's going to fall over but it won't.

After that I take some progressively harder turns depending on how well they are doing, coach if I need too, then I'm off. Really the swerving is not much of a problem if your alert. It's just annoying as hell.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I go over a set of rules with my passenger.

1. Lean with me
2. Adjusting yourself is fine, just do it either when stopped or when we are clear of corners or traffic and above 20mph because NOTHING pisses me off more than someone who starts wiggling when coming to a stop.
3. Don't let go

I also have some rules for myself (with new passengers)
1. Brake early and lightly
2. Accelerate slowly (if you haven't been on the back, it's HARD to keep your feet on the pegs under even moderate acceleration)
3. Stop more often so they can stretch (if you're planning on a longer ride)
4. Ask them what they did/didn't like or what was uncomfortable feeling so you can adjust your riding. Don't be a douche to them and ride faster than is what's comfortable. It's just one ride, you don't have to do it again.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts

Excellent advice. placing the passenger's hands on the tank helps out a lot with braking.

·
Registered
205 Posts
the first Day i bought my bike (first street bike ever) i rode it up and down the road. Second day i got it licensed went home and me and my gf went for a ride around 5:00 in the city, cars everywhere. piece of cake. i have owned lots of quads/dirtbikes tho so that helped with clutch control and all that.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
if sh never rode on a sports bike ull need a lot of practice to get her used to leans and speed it is in my opinion most important on passenger leans in the bends, cuz i the passenger doesent lean ur F****D hard core so get her used to everything and walk her verbally trough everything bfore taking her out at faster speeds

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am a 115 lb girl and I have ridden guys on the back and girls that are heavier than me. The first time I took it super easy, but not too slow because as previously mentioned, its way harder at a low speed. Your bike wants to stay upright unless it loses momentum which you probably already knew. My problem is guys like to move and shift how they are sitting during a low speed turn. It sucks a lot. I cant tell you how many times I have told them not to move and I hear the excuse, "I wasnt moving, I was adjusting". Haha. Be careful.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm sure others have said this already, but the three biggest things that your passenger needs to be aware of (that I can think of at the moment) are...

1. Limit fidgeting as much as possible. The sport bike operator is going to notice any and all movement of his passenger. If the passenger has to adjust, please do it when there isn't an impending lean.

2. Lean with the operator. Lean with the operator. Lean with the operator. Say it with me: lean with the operator.

3. Hold on to the operator's waist. It sucks when the passenger slams into the back of the operator during an emergency brake or swerve.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Depending on your riding style, I wouldn't suggest the gas tank thing... Don't want to loose them off the back. I really just have two things to tell them:

1. Hold on to me, not my jacket.

2. Look over my should in the direction we are leaning, the bike will feel like it's going to fall over but it won't.

After that I take some progressively harder turns depending on how well they are doing, coach if I need too, then I'm off. Really the swerving is not much of a problem if your alert. It's just annoying as hell.
Coming from a girl who has been a passenger, it is a lot nicer to press your hands against the gas tank. That way you dont fall forward into the person and you feel a lot more secure on the bike. If someone accelerates a little faster I usually move my hands close to the front and eventually will grab onto the person if we are going fast enough.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts