Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see this all the time and do it myself on occasion. Is this a stupid thing to do? I'm not sure what could happen in an accident. I suppose it could get caught on something, could be added protection depending on what's in the bag (books?), or could injure your back depending on how much stuff or what kind of stuff is in it.

Are there are reasons why this is not a good idea? I suppose what I listed above is enough reason, but sometimes I need to bring stuff along.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I ride with a backpack, and always did throughout college. I went down once from some cinders on the road right after winter. I'd like to think it helped my back from getting chewed up a lil. As i just had a hoodie on.

I always carry things to work/home from the store/the gym etc in it. I can see the pros and cons of one.

Pros-

being able to carry stuff
act like a cushion if ever needed
carrying items onlong rides

cons-
wind can jerk you around easier with it
added weight/mass
if landed on it wrong a book/hard objects could seriously bruise/possibly break your back

·
Registered
38 Posts
A buddy of mine went down trying to show off for some girls on the interstate. He was only wearing a T-shirt and a Jansport backpack. He slid on the backpack about 50ft, and only ended up with a few scuffs and bruises.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I ride with one, 99% of the time, i keep an ajdustable wrench and a couple other tools. Sometimes, a laptop or portable DVD, and other stuff.

When i went down, the bag did reduce my injuries as i when sliding on my back and the bag took the majority of the asphalt side.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i agree with rubberducky. backpacks themselves dont really pose as a con, its whats in them that hurts. I rode behind a guy on a group ride and he lost a pack of cigs out the small pocket of his jansport because the wind plays with the zippers. besides that i dont see a negative effect for wearing them

·
Registered
263 Posts
I wear one everyday, Unlike a car my bike has no trunk, so basically my backpack is my trunk. Keep stuff in case emergency as all above, plus nice to have if need to pick up something for lunch or from the store.

Just make sure you get one that fits you and feel comfortable. GL

·
Registered
131 Posts
i use a draw string bag. just cross the strings over head. (b4 u put the helmet on or u will feel really dumb)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I ride with a backpack a lot of the time, but I also wear a backprotector most of the time as well.

Just make sure you check all the zippers because my jansport opened up once and I lost my pinkslip to my bike on the way to the DMV....

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I wear a backpack everyday while riding to work. The best thing is make sure your backpack has either a chest/belly strap. I bought my backpack from cycle gear it's called "Cargo Endurance" it has a chest strap.

·
Super Moderator
2,396 Posts
I also ride with a backpack most of the time and haven't really noticed anything negative if you get a high quality one. The best one I have found is the High Sierra Access.
http://www.highsierrasport.com/product?number=5462&lang=en
I have had many back packs and this is much better than any one designed for motorcycles. I went down on my way to college and had a few books in it. It showed no signs of damage and helped protect me, so did my riding jacket. The only con I found was some opening while riding and loosing all your crap inside. To help prevent that don't have the zippers close at the top of the bag. Have them at the end of the zipper. The one I posted a link to has side straps that will prevent you from losing your crap if it were to open while riding.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The wind and or a full/heavy (filled with adult beverages) backpack are the only cons I have noticed while riding with a backpack. I made sure to get a bag with a waist strap and chest strap; never really had any problems since then.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I ride with the backpack i use for paintball. It has a cover that goes over the zippers and prevents them from being blown open, and i can strap my helmet to the back of it where people normally strap on their paintball markers, for when I have to walk and not carry my helmet in my hands.

http://static.zoovy.com/img/zephyrsports/-/G/backpack_redcamo1_93210000_1.jpg

Google images pic of what I have...

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
A bud at work crashed wearing his backpack...car pulled in front of him. Strap caught & kept him from going over the car. Prob got messed up more because of it....That's speculation tho

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think backpacks are pretty awesome. There are some that have Back protector inserts in them for added protection (if you dont have a backprotector on already).

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
i wear a pack back as well, 99.9 percent of the time, just went down and it helped to cushion my back,

had a laptop in there, a padlock, and a few cds, needless to say, the cds and lock were scattered across the road,

I use a Targus back pack that has a bit of a back protector built in,

but I also wear my dainiese back protectoer under my 1pc, so I dont have any thing coming through my back when I hit the ground, I carry some tool, small screw drivers, pens,

I guess if I hit wrong one could puncture me, hmmmm, maybe time to get a case for those, hahaha

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have the Icon backpack/tank bag combo. It is awesome. When I am not packed too heavy, I put it on the tank. I use it as a backpack when it is loaded. I have also packed it up for 2 overnight trips as well. Best backpack buy ever.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
i ride with my kriega 25 everywhere i go.
generally i take it everywhere i go now too, its my fuking manpurse.
nothing wrong with a decent pack for all yo shite!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts