Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that some people take the mirrors off of thier street bikes for everyday use. Im pretty sure its illegal but thats not what im wondering...

I was wondering if any of you all have done that and if so how do you maneuver through traffic? Do you just look over your shoulder all the time?

I kinda of like having them since i can see if traffic is comming up on me too not just for lane changes ahead of me on the road. I did read once though in sport rider that a stock 04 Gsxr 600 after stripping the mirrors and mud-flap increased its top speed from 167 or so to about 176. Im not a speed demon so thats not a huge concern but i thought it was a cool stat none the less. I also think that no mirrors does look very very clean, then again i dont know if id sacrafice looks for safety.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I dont ride with mirrors because I broke one when I crashed and havent replaced it. I dont care about what is behind me. Im more concerned with whats in front of me. And I dont really ride in traffic all that much.

·
Registered
525 Posts
its kinda nerve racking in traffic i saw a guy get rear-ended last weekend and it might have been avoided if he had mirrors. but its all about preference i like the bar ends but i dont know how good they are

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I don't see how anyone can ride without their mirrors. I've ridden some bikes without them and it scares the living hell out of me. Think of all the times you seen someone blow a stoplight by accident or just plow into the rear of another car. You can't tell me each time you're at a stop light or waiting to make a left turn that you're watching to see what's coming behind you.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Right before my crash (crash not due to no mirrors BTW) I had to take mine off because the right side one lost a screw and it came loose. I guess that's what I got from sitting down wheelies to hard every now and then......

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have always wanted to take mine off but I use them all the time. Then oneday while I was out riding the light ahead of me was turning red so I slow down but the car behind me was not....so I pull over out of the right hand land on to the shoulder and he just blows by me through the red light. That decided it for me to keep my mirrors.

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
11,188 Posts
GA_RR said:
I don't see how anyone can ride without their mirrors. I've ridden some bikes without them and it scares the living hell out of me. Think of all the times you seen someone blow a stoplight by accident or just plow into the rear of another car. You can't tell me each time you're at a stop light or waiting to make a left turn that you're watching to see what's coming behind you.
Same here. I took the mirrors off just to take some pics and rode to the park to take some pics. I was scared to death. When I'm stopped at a light I always look to see what's going on behind me and when I'm going down the road I always scan my mirrors so I'm aware of my surroundings.

·
Hooked on Phonics
2,826 Posts
i dont have any cause one broke when i had a get off, so i put on block off plates and put a blind side mirror on the bike it has been like that for a little over a year i have never gotten s**t about it even when cops pulled me over they never said any thing about it

·
Registered
625 Posts
there is no way I could ever ride without mirrors. I check those things almost religiously as I'm riding. I have to be aware of everything around me, especially behind me. People are stupid.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I admit the bike looks very slick with the mirrors removed, but its illegal down - well you atleast have to have a left mirror... how odd would only one mirror look :O. Not to mention we have some crazy ass drivers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It is really not worth the risk. I'd say that if you use your mirrors so little that you would feel comfortable taking them off, you probably aren't a good enough driver to be riding a motorcycle on the street. Especially a 600rr.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i rode my DRZ with no mirrors, but that was because i rode 90% offroad with it, and they kept getting caught on stuff. pissed me off so i removed them.

·
Registered
888 Posts
even tho the bike looks nice without mirrors
i need mirrors, i always check them when im at a stop light
making sure the soccer mom behind me in the suv is not going to plow into me
and when you are doing 20+mph over the speed limit, you might want to check your rear to make sure cops arent after you

·
Registered
860 Posts
I don't get taking off your mirrors, putting plate over the holes, then adding mirrors to the bar ends. Whatever aerodynamic advantage gained without the main mirrors was lost again with bar ends. And whatever style was gained, again was lost with the bar end mirrors. To me it's just silly to waste $150 to move your mirrors from one place to another.

·
Registered
856 Posts
SPR SLO said:
I don't get taking off your mirrors, putting plate over the holes, then adding mirrors to the bar ends. Whatever aerodynamic advantage gained without the main mirrors was lost again with bar ends. And whatever style was gained, again was lost with the bar end mirrors. To me it's just silly to waste $150 to move your mirrors from one place to another.
Agreed.

If you take the stock mirrors off and just put on a left one, it looks even worse... :supergay:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I took my mirrors off the other day when I was waxing my bike and went for a spin afterwards. I was looking over my shoulder every 5 seconds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts