Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding with a passenger for about a year now. but it was never more than once or twice a month. now i've got myself a girlfriend who really enjoys it (praise the lord!) and i was wondering if i should be adjusting my rear suspension for longer rides. i searched, but there was a lack of opinions for this question.

also, i never adjusted the suspension. the mechanic at the stealership said it would be fine for my weight. (145lbs) is this something i need to do?

and one more, how do you guys transport an extra helmet? for example, if i am going to go pick up a passenger. do you have a mesh bungee set up? i've seen the backpacks for helmets, but i don't want to go blow cash if i don't have to.

thanks

D

·
0 Posts
Page 47, 48, 61, 64, and 120 of your owners manual have all the information you need.

·
Registered
155 Posts
under your rear seat, there are little metal pieces that come out towards the front sides, you can put your helmets D ring on those and close the seat over it to hold it in place
or you can just fasten your helmets strap through it, and tighten it so your helmet doesnt bounce around and put the seat on over the straps

sorry i dont else to explain it without pictures
but i dont have any at work right now

as for adjusting suspension, im not sure what to do either, havent really been on long rides with a passanger

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
i dont think you should adjust your suspension unless all of your riding is going to be with your girl. and for the extra helmet i have one of those helmet bp so i wouldnt know.

D

·
0 Posts
i dont think you should adjust your suspension unless all of your riding is going to be with your girl. and for the extra helmet i have one of those helmet bp so i wouldnt know.
I don't think you should give anyone suspension information, especially when it is incorrect. It takes 5 minutes to stiffen up the suspension for a passenger, and 5 minutes to go back to what it should be for one rider.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Whore
4,993 Posts
Walmart sells a bungee mesh thing for 6 dollars that you secure your helmet with to the back of your bike just sit helmet on pass seat and pull it over it and take off been using this thing since i got my bike and no problems just make sure it doesnt touch your exhaust

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I don't think you should give anyone suspension information, especially when it is incorrect. It takes 5 minutes to stiffen up the suspension for a passenger, and 5 minutes to go back to what it should be for one rider.

just my opinion, leave it as that.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've rode around with a lot of passengers throughout my college yrs, and my girlfriend loved it and went on several rides with me before I got her an r6. I never adjusted my rear supsension for the extra weight or anything, all girls were in avergae shape i would say. Just remember that when riding with the few times before that your bike well want to handle a lil different with the extra weight ( longer braking, tucks quicker into turns, etc)thats what i noticed.

But i never changed my suspension on my 03, or 08 rr and never had any problems. I'm about 150, girls were 110-135ish prob.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I've rode around with a lot of passengers throughout my college yrs, and my girlfriend loved it and went on several rides with me before I got her an r6. I never adjusted my rear supsension for the extra weight or anything, all girls were in avergae shape i would say. Just remember that when riding with the few times before that your bike well want to handle a lil different with the extra weight ( longer braking, tucks quicker into turns, etc)thats what i noticed.

But i never changed my suspension on my 03, or 08 rr and never had any problems. I'm about 150, girls were 110-135ish prob.
100 lbs is a bunch of weight, especially that far back on the bike. Your riding experience will be much better if you set the bike up for the extra weight. Like Demented said. It only takes about five minutes to dial in more preload.

Riding with a passenger without adding the preload will make it painfully hesitant to turn in.

·
Registered
475 Posts
100 lbs is a bunch of weight, especially that far back on the bike. Your riding experience will be much better if you set the bike up for the extra weight. Like Demented said. It only takes about five minutes to dial in more preload.

Riding with a passenger without adding the preload will make it painfully hesitant to turn in.
i agree with you man, and it wouldnt help to set it before, i've never read up on it before but i assume it isn't hard, so it wouldnt hurt anyone to preload it before riding with her on the back though. just sayin i've never messed with it but was more cautious with a passeenger and gave myself room, time to relearn the bike/handling.

·
Registered
753 Posts
i agree with you man, and it wouldnt help to set it before, i've never read up on it before but i assume it isn't hard, so it wouldnt hurt anyone to preload it before riding with her on the back though. just sayin i've never messed with it but was more cautious with a passeenger and gave myself room, time to relearn the bike/handling.
It is easy. Just check the owners manual for the procedure, then check youtube for a quick video to show you basic suspension setup, (setting sag and such). You will not believe how much better the bike handles when set up properly:cruising:

·
Registered
142 Posts
For the helmet issue I bought a "Bell' brand cargo net bungee at Walmart for $6-$7.00. Works fantastic. AJ

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For the helmet issue I bought a "Bell' brand cargo net bungee at Walmart for $6-$7.00. Works fantastic. AJ
cool. this is the kind of info i was looking for. i didn't want to use the wire and hook under the seat to avoid the helmet bouncing around ruining things. i guess i'll leave my suspension alone. from the advice here, only thing adjusting the suspension does is add better handling, and its not like i go balls to the wall when i have a passenger anyways. i've been riding with a passenger long enough to know where to be careful and when to compensate. guess i'll take a look at the manual anyways.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Whore
4,993 Posts
It will scratch your tail over time unless u ride roads with no bumps or curves and consistently stay under 40mph then Yes there's nothing wrong with that

·
Registered
311 Posts
Walmart sells a bungee mesh thing for 6 dollars that you secure your helmet with to the back of your bike just sit helmet on pass seat and pull it over it and take off been using this thing since i got my bike and no problems just make sure it doesnt touch your exhaust
Doesn't this require the stock mud flap to secure it to?

·
Jack Daniels is my bff
1,985 Posts
I use one of those helmetbra things. It won't scratch your paint since it hooks under your passenger seat. Works good just have to make sure to strap it TIGHT so the helmet doesnt pop out. Even if it does there's a safety hook that attaches to the d-ring.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts